Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:33 pm 

I need help separating both halves of the valve body from a Crosman SA6.

I started by following what was done on Another Airgun Blog. He placed the larger diameter in his lathe chuck and used a brass punch to unscrew the smaller part.

I was not that lucky because nothing moved and I was starting to get some slipping marks from the jaw even after heating the valve with my heat gun.

I thought to make two aluminum sleeves. One for the small diameter of one side and another for the intermediate diameter of the opposite side because it was the largest hole I could make (.75").

The idea was to clamp the large part in my vise with the small compression sleeve and used the other compression sleeve with the handle on the small part. I even had a cross pin to engage the transfert port.

Attachment:
01.JPG
01.JPG [ 104.65 KiB | Viewed 180 times ]

This time it seemed that it moved but discovered that, in fact, it was slipping in the block that was in the vise.

From what I read, normally it should only be finger tight so I am not sure what the previous owner did.

Any suggestions on what I should do next.

Thanks.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:23 am 

Pretty much out of options. When "gentle" fails, I resort to "Terry the torch"...ie heat the "F" out of it. When it starts smoking is the time to try your fixtures again.

Could try heat and quench first, works for corrosion, but not for overly ambitious application of thread locker.

Nothing in there that can't be replaced.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:40 am 

Hi Gippeto.

Thanks for your reply.

Finally I tried something else this morning. I cut my larger compression block in half then wrapped a layer of thin rubber around the .75" diameter of the valve and clamped everything in my vise. This time it didn't slip and spin so I was able to unscrew the smaller portion of the valve.

I have now access to all the parts and can proceed to the next step.

Have a nice day.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:03 am 

Good stuff.

Better to succeed with "gentle" options. A little surprised your fixture held better with the rubber, but all good. :)

Al

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:10 am 

Gippeto wrote:
Good stuff.

Better to succeed with "gentle" options. A little surprised your fixture held better with the rubber, but all good. :)

Al

LOL, I'm not surprised, I know R-Gun-Pete quite well and one thing for sure is he is very gentle. Where some of us may have tightened the heck out of the "chuck" and dealt with the marks after... he wouldn't do that.

Glad you persevered and did it right!

))))----//----------==

Age quod Agis, et semper ubi sub ubi.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:41 pm 

Hi!

I have not been checking the forum today and I missed your replies.

Some peoples go on shopping spree but for me that part is over, I have so many airguns that I cannot find enough time to exercise all of them.

Instead I am on a repair spree for my vintage airguns. I started to check them only to discover several that were leaking CO2 and now I am rushing to fix them before closing my shop for the winter.

I took some notes and I hope I will be able to remember the balance of what I did but I am planning to write several posts on those repairs when things get a bit slower.

As for the unscrewing problem, it seems that my 3/4" hole was too close to the size of the neck of the valve to apply enough compression to avoid the slipping. I cut the block in half and with the extra thickness of the rubber and the fact that rubber is gripping, it worked.

I think the culprit was the o-ring that was completely deformed and was sticking to the thread.

Anyway I am progressing and tomorrow I should know if the stuff I did today was successful.

Cheers.

R-Gun Pete