Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hawk Scopes no service
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:09 pm 

Bought a new Hawk Vantage scope for my springer and can not get it to zero
sent e-mails to Winnipeg outfitters where I bought it and no answer
also e-mail to Monsen.ca and one to HawkOptics and not one answer.
I will now back my car over it toss in garbage and not buy another.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:23 pm 

I just Googled it and it seems like the Vantage is not rated for springers. Could be why you are unable to zero it.

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:24 am 
Site Moderator

Maybe try phoning them. Please post the verbal replies.

Last week I emailed Monsen's to ask if the Vantage scopes would last on a springer and was told that sometimes they are fine and sometimes a rifle will break more than one. I was never told that they are not recommended for springers or if the warranty would be voided. I couldn't find any information on the Hawke web site or the Vantage user manual stating that the Vantage is not recommended for springers or if warranty would be voided. The Vantage manual actually states how to "zero" the scope for air rifles and then mentions the lifetime warranty further down the page. The AirMax manual also mentions the same zeroing for air rifles.

I was looking for a less busy reticle than the AirMax line (AMX reticle) and was told by the Monsen's staff to "look at the Vantage 30 line up". If some of the Vantage scopes are not recommended for springers or only to be used with certain limits then they should update the web site to add this important information.

Winnipeg Outfitters: 204-775-9653
Monsen's: (800) 461-7666 ext: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:31 am 

Was the gun accurate with the previous scope or iron sites? Have you used a wide range of pellet brands in your testing? I have REH break barrel and after testing ever brand of pellet, I completed a pellet push and scoped the barrel and determent the barrel was beyond repair at this time. I moved the scope to harder hitting springer and the scope was fine

If it doesn't say spring rated then it probably is not. On my springers I have Tasco air they have a very basic reticle and are inexpensive. The Tasco website is very clear as for the use on spring guns.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:22 am 

That is strange, I have had nothing but great experience dealing with Monsens.
Albeit I do have the advantage of being able to take things to their office.
I had an Airmax that the turret wasn't working correctly, after going into the back of the office we checked it out and they handed me a new one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:37 am 

There are some who have had success of using the Vantage on lower powered springers i.e sub 12fpe but I do not think they are officially springer rated. If you are using high power or magnum springer definitely stick to the AirMax lineup if Hawke is the way you want to go. I have a had nothing but good experiences with my AirMax scopes. Some have gone through 10,000++ shots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:37 am 
Site Moderator

drone79 wrote:
Bought a new Hawk Vantage scope for my springer and can not get it to zero
sent e-mails to Winnipeg outfitters where I bought it and no answer
also e-mail to Monsen.ca and one to HawkOptics and not one answer.
I will now back my car over it toss in garbage and not buy another.

I'm curious as to what rifle you have the scope mounted. I have a UTG scope that works fine on wire spring rifles but periodically jumps windage on a full power nitro piston rifle. It always jumps 12 clicks. Have you tried the Vantage scope on other rifles?

I've been thinking about getting the Vantage 2-7x32mm mildot scope for a mild springer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:18 pm 

My vantage was mounted on my BSA cloney at 840 fps
It is very accurate with iron sights but my eyes are not as good as they used to be
but I can shoot better than with this scope :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:09 pm 

Forget the e-mails. I emailed an airgun company two weeks ago and have received no response. Best to give them a call and leave a message. Sorry to hear you had no luck with the Hawke vantage scope. If you're going to use a scope on a Springer; best to check if it's Springer rated. I currently use a Hawke Airmax on my springer and it's functioned flawlessly over the last few years.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:26 pm 

Had a vantage on my hw80 befour buying an airmax the vantage after 1500 shots is still going I now keep it as a spare then my new airmax the reticle went bad after 500 shots so had to get warranty on it .now have a new airmax on it and it’s bang on the hw80 is the fac model 22 cal and crossman 14.3 grain hps are getting 735 fps at the muzzel. Gerry at monsens is a real good guy he will isten and help you give him a call and tell him what it’s doeing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:47 pm 

I contacted Monsons regarding warranty on a new Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO MilDot and was provided with the mailing address.

Sent it and received an email that it was repaired (apparently sticky from new grease) and came back in a few days.

FWIW I couldn't be happier with the service, especially that Gerry too time to explain some scope theory.

Try this email: gerry@monsens.ca

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:54 pm 
Site Moderator

Normk wrote:
I contacted Monsons regarding warranty on a new Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO MilDot and was provided with the mailing address.

Sent it and received an email that it was repaired (apparently sticky from new grease) and came back in a few days.

FWIW I couldn't be happier with the service, especially that Gerry took time to explain some scope theory.

Try this email: gerry@monsens.ca

Did Gerry explain any useful scope theory that you would like to share? Inquiring minds like to know.

I'm very curious to somehow learn how the Vantage differs from the AirMax (besides the reticles).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:22 pm 

"Did Gerry explain any useful scope theory that you would like to share? Inquiring minds like to know."

He explained that windage and elevation adjustment are accomplished by moving "the internal optics tube" within the scope. *NB "the internal optics tube" is my terminology.

Probably not of much value out of context.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:30 pm 

This is totally different from scopes of years past, where the crosshairs themselves were moved.
I still have a 10X Unertle scope with that feature. Unless they line up perfectly, or you have the
scope in adjustable mounts & use them, the sight picture is really screwy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:10 pm 

All you need is recoil free mount--I researched that even springer-rated scope can be broken in just a few shots with some springers, so I ordered 5 of those and putted them even on 495fps springers (actually not necessary as the cheapest tasco RF 4x15 still lasting and holding well on my phantom for almost 2500 shots before I replaced it with a UTG) however I just did it to protect the scopes.

They proofed working well (for 8 months till now) and holds zero well on all 4 different types from 495 to 1000 springer and 1 NP rifles that my friend and I owned. It does a good job protect all scopes we mounted--no matter how expensive or cheap they are. And it is just 1/6 price of the Diana Bullseye...
Here is the link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... tDSvr5G5n9

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting