Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:00 pm 

When I checked if all my PCP airguns were holding air, I discovered that one of my two Crosman 1701P Silhouette pistols had its pressure gauge showing zero.

Connecting it to my Xisico compressor quickly confirmed that there was something wrong because the pressure didn’t build up and I thought that I could hear air hissing through the barrel.

Since the compressor is noisy, I also tried my Bull handpump so I could hear better and, at some point, I got a pressure buildup. My hope was short-lived because as soon as I dry fired the airgun I lost it all.

I should have stopped there but I tried pumping quicker to see if I could get another pressure buildup. It didn’t work and suddenly I heard a popping sound which made me think that I might have blown out an o-ring in my handpump. Oh well! Another thing to put on the repair list.

Except for the diagram and part list for the Silhouette, I couldn’t find specific information on its disassembly/reassembly but I was told by other members of the CAF that it should be similar to a Marauder.

Having worked earlier on a QB Chief during the Summer and after watching a few videos about the Marauder, I could see that it wouldn’t be a problem to take it apart. Even then I did just the minimum of disassembly required to access the valve.

Basically it breaks down into three sub-assemblies: the Barrel/Breech, the Pressure Cylinder and the Pistol Grip/Trigger. At this point, only the Pressure cylinder needs further disassembly.

Attachment:
01.JPG
01.JPG [ 88.74 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

After removing the Filling Plug and the Pressure Gauge, the three screws are detached from the valve body and both parts left in the tube (the Valve and the Port Gauge Body) cand be pushed out toward the front. Once the Valve was separated into the Valve Body and the Valve Cap, a spring and the Valve Stem fell out. Inspection showed that both the internal o-rings on the Valve Cap were in good shape and it was easy to pinpoint the leaking problem because I could see that the molded head of the stem was broken. There was enough left of it to take some measurements and I machined a new Valve Stem from Delrin.

Attachment:
02.JPG
02.JPG [ 95.08 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

This is a picture of the components before reassembly.

Attachment:
03.JPG
03.JPG [ 105.28 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

I warmed up the Valve Body and the head of the Valve Stem, smacked the head a few times to seat it and applied a bit of silicone grease only. After reassembly the Silhouette pistol was holding its pressure. Another repair has been completed.

R-Gun Pete