Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:33 am 

Roll Along Wavy Navy - to the tune of "Roll Along Covered Wagon"

The original verses were written in 1936 on the destroyer HMCS SAGUENAY by Gunner Patrick D. Budge (later Rear-Admiral) and Sub-Lieutenant Rufus C. Pope, who later survived the sinking of HMCS FRASER but was lost at sea on 22 Oct 1940, at the rank of Lieutenant, when HMCS MARGAREE sank after a collision with a freighter in her convoy.

The melody "Roll Along Covered Wagon" was written in 1934 by James (Jimmy) Kennedy, an Ulsterman, who served in the Royal Artillery in the Second World War. The melody was transcribed from a recording by HMCS YORK band, which was provided by Joe Cullen, CD, CPO2, Naval Reserve, ret'd, HMCS YORK.

Dedicated to all those like my Dad who proudly served in the RCNVR.... Thank You For Your Service.... PS, the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve were called the "Wavy Navy" because the stripes on their sleeves were zig-zag instead of straight like the "regular" RCN....

Bob

Last edited by rsterne on Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:54 am 

The B Type Failmile Sub-chaser my Dad served on in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.... The hull was 112' long, double diagonal mahogany planking over 2" plywood frames, supplied to various shipyards across Canada in kit form!.... Two 600 HP Hall-Scott V-12s, speed 20 knots.... The later boats had twin 900 HP Sterlings, which increased the speed to 22 knots.... One was built with Merlins, and reportedly did 26 knots.... 8)

and the "Funnel Art".... Popeye kicking a U-boat!....

The Crew of the 080.... My Dad, CPO George Beatty Sterne, Motor Mechanic, front and center....

Bob