Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:51 pm 

So I received my AceTech AC6000BT Chronograph yesterday.
After leaving it to charge up overnight I tested it with my three air pistols I have. I've got a UMAREX S&W M&P40, a UMAREX Beretta M92A1 and a Crosman Night Stalker
I'm glad I did a bit of research before settling on the AC6000BT.
Build quality is excellent. It was very easy to set up and connect to my mobile phone using the app. Everything can be controlled from your phone.
Attached are a few screenshots of the AC6000BT as well as a shot of one test each of each of my pistols. The results turned out pretty much as I expected. Now I'd like to figure out how to hot rod the two UMAREX pistols to equal the Crosman.

Attachments:
Capture Chronograph Comparison Night Stalker & M&P40 & M92A1.JPG
Capture Chronograph Comparison Night Stalker & M&P40 & M92A1.JPG [ 263.57 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
Capture AC6000 BT Chrono.JPG
Capture AC6000 BT Chrono.JPG [ 194.41 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
Capture AC6000BT Chrono.JPG
Capture AC6000BT Chrono.JPG [ 64.84 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:44 pm 

Cool, can you show a picture of the setup, proximity to the muzzle, etc for the measurements?
Also what is the purpose of the energy density in J/ cm^2? And how is it calculated. Presumably the area is a nominal x section of the pellet at the head (or just the calibre). :?: :?:

))))----//----------==

Age quod Agis, et semper ubi sub ubi.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:00 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
Cool, can you show a picture of the setup, proximity to the muzzle, etc for the measurements?
Also what is the purpose of the energy density in J/ cm^2? And how is it calculated. Presumably the area is a nominal x section of the pellet at the head (or just the calibre). :?: :?:

I've got two camera tripods. I can set up the chrono on one in front of the other. I've got a V shaped gun rest I put on the rear tripod and I shoot through the chrono. I should have taken a couple of photos when I had it setup. Next time.
There's lots of videos on YouTube showing this chrono being used. You can even hold your air pistol or air rifle in one hand and hold the chrono in your other hand and just fire through the chrono. I don't think you should stick the muzzle inside the tube of the chrono because it might result in a false reading because of air pressure or a spec of dirt etc., but that's my opinion. Watch some YT videos. It seems like holding the muzzle/barrel about 1"-2" away from the throat of the chrono is how most guys do it, which is what I did, and seems to work good.
This was my first time using this chrono and my main interest was fps this time.
In the software of the app when you download it there's a few formulas you can use. See attached screenshot.
I wasn't really interested this time in the J/cm2 so I didn't touch that when I was setting it up. From my understanding J/cm2 is muzzle energy or the kinetic energy of a bullet as it is expelled from the muzzle of a firearm. There's a number of different parameters that can be measured and changed in the settings. I believe the SI (modern metric system), the British imperial system, and the United States customary system can all be changed to whatever you prefer.

Attachments:
Screenshot_AceSoft Formulas.jpg
Screenshot_AceSoft Formulas.jpg [ 251.57 KiB | Viewed 246 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:37 pm 

Interesting, certainly would give a 'true' as can be, muzzle velocity.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:35 am 

Some people might have more questions about this chrono so rather than more messages back and forth here's the links to a couple of YouTube videos about this AC6000BT chrono. There are a lot more YT videos on this model than just these two videos but I think these videos answer most of the questions.
It was $115 CAD ($85 USD) on Amazon and free one day shipping. I live about 5-6 kms from two monster size Amazon centers so I don't know if my experience would be the same for everyone, but probably similar.
It was very easy to set up and if someone didn't want to bother setting everything up on a tripod like I did, as I said in another message, you can just hold the chrono in your one hand and your air gun in the other and shoot through the measuring tube throat of chrono to get a quick reading.
AceTech also sells a nice looking protective carrying case which I've ordered.
I think this is perfect for air guns. I wouldn't use it for real firearms because holding the muzzle/barrel close to the measuring tube when firing would probably immediately damage the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBedeWOdCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVqjvaaGlM

Attachments:
Capture AceTech AC6000BT Carrying Case.JPG
Capture AceTech AC6000BT Carrying Case.JPG [ 67.73 KiB | Viewed 205 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:23 pm 

I have set mine out to as far 50 yards. When I did a comparison to my new Caldwell they were within 3%. It has taken a beating and still connects to my phone. I now hide it behind a 4x4 with a 2" hole in it. I use it more than new Caldwell as it is very easy to set up, and uses its own IR light source.
Attachment:
AC 6000.jpg
AC 6000.jpg [ 395.91 KiB | Viewed 195 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:32 pm 

McRobert wrote:
I have set mine out to as far 50 yards. When I did a comparison to my new Caldwell they were within 3%. It has taken a beating and still connects to my phone. I now hide it behind a 4x4 with a 2" hole in it. I use it more than new Caldwell as it is very easy to set up, and uses its own IR light source.
Attachment:
AC 6000.jpg

Looks like it's pretty tough too.....lol...... :-o
Good thing its still able to connect by bluetooth. The convenience of being bluetooth is that even at 50 yards away you should be able to easily see the results on your phone without having to walk back and forth to check the results on the display, which it looks like doesn't work any more from being shot out... FYI you can get replacement displays from AceTech. I guess you're not the only customer that has shot out his display.
The measuring tube is supposed to be 36mm so even if you had a 2" hole in a sheet of plywood that's still a 51mm hole which could still allow the chrono to be damaged, as it appears to have happened with yours. But it's yours to do with as you want and as long as you get the results you're looking for that's up to you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:15 pm 

McRobert wrote:
Attachment:
AC 6000.jpg

Is that hole you shoot through only 1/2" in diameter?
Just kidding - looks amazingly tough - AMAZINGLY tough.
I have a brand new Caldwell chronograph and can't get it connected to my phone. I have the app loaded, but it does not see the chronograph.
Bummer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:27 am 

My new Caldwell connects to the phone through the speaker jack. I had a tough time also, I fixed by changing some permissions in the app. I tried it with 3 phones before I got it to work

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:38 am 

McRobert wrote:
Attachment:
AC 6000.jpg

You're saying you believe yours is accurate within 3%? If we're working with ranges between 300-400 fps that's still not bad cuz it would be a range somewhere around 10 fps, but I've read from reading other people testing this that the AC6000BT is usually consistently between 0.5%-1.0% variance when tested simultaneously compared with other chronos. Some variance might also be due to the location of the chrono. The AC6000BT measuring tube is usually only a couple of inches maximum from the muzzle of the air gun and chronos like the Caldwell can be a few meters or more from the muzzle of the air gun. Something to consider. I see other guys here got the Caldwell chronos. I was looking at those also but they didn't seem as convenient to use, more gear to set up and just bigger overall. I've only ever used the AC6000BT but I also read that the types of chrono that the Caldwell is sometimes have accuracy issues due to sun and/or shade, but being a chono newbie that's just what I read. All the input from other chrono users is interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:49 am 

I have been looking at these types on Aliexpress for about a year and I'm impressed by the review/comments I'm seeing posted here. The issue I have with the open light sensor chronograph (mine is a Shooting Chrony) is the dreaded ERR1 and ERR2 or the flashing [BE] which means the pellet wasn't detected by one or both sensors. The AceTech system pretty much guarantees a reading as long as the pellet goes in the entrance hole. I did see somewhere that the AceTech types are not recommended for powder burners so those of you with those guns probably should keep your Caldwells and Chronys, but for airguns, these AceTechs look to have advantages. :drinkers: If you can wait for China Post, I have seen them (BT version) $80 or so on AliExpress inc shipping.

))))----//----------==

Age quod Agis, et semper ubi sub ubi.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:46 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I have been looking at these types on Aliexpress for about a year and I'm impressed by the review/comments I'm seeing posted here. The issue I have with the open light sensor chronograph (mine is a Shooting Chrony) is the dreaded ERR1 and ERR2 or the flashing [BE] which means the pellet wasn't detected by one or both sensors. The AceTech system pretty much guarantees a reading as long as the pellet goes in the entrance hole. I did see somewhere that the AceTech types are not recommended for powder burners so those of you with those guns probably should keep your Caldwells and Chronys, but for airguns, these AceTechs look to have advantages. :drinkers: If you can wait for China Post, I have seen them (BT version) $80 or so on AliExpress inc shipping.

I ordered mine from Amazon.ca. $115 CAD which is equivalent to just over $86 USD according to what my phone tells me the latest exchange rate is. I ordered it Friday afternoon and received it next day Saturday free delivery with Amazon Prime. It's too easy...lol.