Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Returning to the sport
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:12 pm 

New ol-fart from White Rock B.C, just joined the forum. Since the Dauphin is determined to rob me of my centerfire collection I don't have to be reduced to shooting just my muskets. My English cousins have a bewildering array of powerful and deadly-accurate air weapons that give them a great deal of fun. I know we will never have that type of selection but I am determined to stay in target sports so I'll be looking at my first PCP purchase quite soon. Recommendations under $750 for a toe in th water wouls be welcomed ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:51 pm 

Welcome to the forum, paganrage.
I suggest you contact Wes at www.airgunarcheryfun.ca for a suggestion on a "lower" end PCP rifle.
I have an Artemis M11 in .25 from him that is quite accurate and powerful. It is regulated so accuracy holds
until it falls off the regulator at low pressure.
The same rifle in .22 will get even more shots. I would suggest .22 be the smallest, however .177's can also be
very accurate at the closer ranges.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:02 am 

Welcome - another old fart. White rock (Where the streets all have names) is one of my old stomping grounds, and my Mum still lives there so I go back often to visit. I also have a M11 but in .22 cal and I have found it to be a well designed and built PCP, perhaps the best in my collection. Since it comes with everything you need, all you have to get extra is a compressed air source and it's small enough to hand pump it, at least I still do. I think of myself as old (yes and a bit of a fart) @ 63 but I still pump.

))))----//----------==

Age quod Agis, et semper ubi sub ubi.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:13 am 

Many thaks Lads. I have a 1/2 acre of mud and stumps in WA state so will have options to buy and store rifles that would make the Lil Prince lose his water. Since punching paper is my primary motivation the .177 generally gives flatter shooting at shorter distances ....and there is a massive choice of pellets. Where is Wes located btw?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:44 am 

paganrage wrote:
Many thaks Lads. I have a 1/2 acre of mud and stumps in WA state so will have options to buy and store rifles that would make the Lil Prince lose his water. Since punching paper is my primary motivation the .177 generally gives flatter shooting at shorter distances ....and there is a massive choice of pellets. Where is Wes located btw?

At the same energy level, .177 can be flatter shooting, but a .22 at the same velocity seems to shoot flatter and be far less affected by wind, IME.

.22 are also much easier for old, fumble-fingered, codgers with bad eyesight, IME. VBG

If you are in the upper end of the Valley, there are some air gunners who beyond Hope to shoot.

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
HW100KT .22
FX Streamline .22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:37 pm 

Thanks NORMK. I think the current anti-gun atmosphere may fuel the number of us turning to airguns for cheap plinking. I have a ton of money into a CZ 22LR and folks are regularly pushing the distances beyond 200M. The downside is the cost of gear to do this regularly as match ammunition is getting spendy in the extreme. I have built 7 AR15's which the Govt. has promised to buy off me...eventually....much of this will be 'reinvested', but in the meantime I could start with a nitro-piston until I can settle on a precision PCP. I get your point re: the inertia of the heavier projectile as rifle muskets are my other 'fetish'.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:02 pm 

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/
WesB - in Sask.
Fast shipping, good guy.

I also find .177's fiddly in my fingers, especially in the winter time but in general as well.
I have large hands. My wedding band is size 13 & most of the time, it's there for the duration.
Rarely can I remove it.