Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:34 pm 

Fellow airgunners, to continue to preserve our shooting culture, please help support the CCFR and write to your MPs in opposition of this proposed bill.

Even if you do not shoot powderburners, this bill will affect airgunners in the provision pertaining to replica airguns. Canada's airsoft industry will be eliminated and airguns under 500fps that have a full power (PAL rated) version may be interpreted as being a replica and therefore also become prohibited.

The bill targets law abiding citizens and will have no effect on criminal activities.

https://firearmrights.ca/bury-their-desks-in-letters/

Find your MP here:
https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en/search

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:38 pm 

24 letters went out today and have 13 more, ready to go.

I will do more tomorrow.

Burying them in protest mail may not help, but it's better than doing nothing, IMO.

The other thing, as it appears that Trudeau may pull another snap election, is to try to reason people out of dividing the vote, like last time.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:01 pm 

Thank you. I have sent out 6 letters as well. Mailing to MPs is free (no stamps needed).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:36 am 

I sent a few of these letters out yesterday including one to the local office of my MP (yes, this one cost me a stamp). I cannot help thinking that while this process may make us gun owners feel better, it will not matter to the politicians who have repeatedly shown that they do not care about our opinions.

Even if the current widespread outrage has an impact and the most recent changes to C-21 are softened you can be sure that this government and the NDP who supports it are committed to getting rid of all legal guns in Canada. They clearly do not care about the illegal guns since reducing crime is much more difficult than just signing a few bills that will impact mostly middle aged men.

I believe that the biggest impact that we can make is by talking to people and letting them know that as responsible gun owners, we are not raving lunatics and taking a bit of action when the time comes to elect a new government.

First, please stop arguing that we need guns to defend ourselves - this is clearly not true! If you store your guns safely and according to the laws, they will not help you if you suddenly awaken to find a home invader in your bedroom. Your gun that is locked in the safe and unloaded is of no benefit to you - you just sound like a nut who is likely to shoot a kid selling cookies door to door when you mistake them for the boogieman. If you are a farmer or live in a rural area, yes, you may need guns to defend your animals and crops against varmints, but as every highly publicized case shows, in the VERY rare event that someone uses a gun to defend themselves against a criminal on their property, it is the property owner that ends up facing the most serious criminal charges.

I use my guns for target shooting and occasional hunting - that is it.

When the next election or by-election happens, please seek out as many people that you can who are not likely going to vote and educate them on the many failings of our current government - from the massive damage to our economy by a group led by the drama teacher who "does not think about economics" while strangling our resource industries and wasting billions on left-wing fantasies, to the focus on "gender issues" while our education and healthcare systems continue to rank lower and lower.

The biggest majority in recent elections has been the number of eligible voters who did not bother to vote. Talk to them, then give them a ride to the polling station, use the advance polls since it is less crowded and easier to fit into your day. If all of us bring 2 more voters that otherwise would not have voted, think about the impact that we can have.

Write letters, yes, but more importantly, help people to see us not as trigger happy nuts, but as rational sport shooters and help to get them to vote for more rational government.

Stepping down from soap box now...
Rob27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:36 pm 

I agree Rob. While these letters won't likely change the political views of these MPs and won't likely be read, it will serve as a tangible reminder of our opposition to it. If the volume of letters are significant, they may rethink their heavy-handed measures. Also, it's better than sitting there, doing nothing, and hoping for the best.

I think more of us need to be politically active and also involved in educating non-shooters about our sport and how it has nothing to do with gangs and urban gun crime. We also need to attract new shooters and the next generation to our sport and show them how enjoyable and safe it can be. Take a friend to the range. This will ensure that we maintain a sizeable portion of the population in the sport to have a meaningful opposition to future legislations that aim to eliminate shooting sports and culture in Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:59 pm 

The Fed. Government continues to lie in Parliament - "only prohibiting assault rifles".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:11 pm 

They do that because the average non-shooter does not know any better. It's the responsibility of all shooters to educate someone whenever the opportunity arises.

True assault rifles have been banned for decades. "Assault style" rifles are demonized because they look scary. The Liberals like to use these 2 terms interchangeably. If something is "assault style", by definition, they are not the actual thing (assault). They are selling this false narrative to a majority of the population who don't understand firearms or aren't interested to dig deeper into the facts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:32 pm 

Even the NDP speaking out against it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngCLTXT ... ssociation

Something a lot of people have ignored, is the limit to 5 round of potential capacity listed in C21.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38gLqoq ... Chronicles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:17 pm 

38 letters went out to senators in opposition to C21 & G4.

I plan to send letters of opposition to provincial MLAs, especially government ministers.

Other than repeating, has anyone suggestions as to where else to send letters?

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:23 pm 

Amazing. I think that covers off most of the folks in government. I see a lot of opposition recently from the NDP and Bloc as well so they are definitely getting the message.