Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 pm 

[emoji38] very happy and lucky to add this HW97K into my collection ~

At the beginning I was looking for a HW77, better in the laminated stock... Then I realized maybe a 97 suits my need better as I use scopes all the time now... And I really do read and hear a lot of good reviews on this HW springer flag ship model...

So, I started to choose the stocks and appearance within those models.. The blue laminated, thumb hole, Stainless, Black Line.... Everything looks so good, very hard to make decision... And you just want to get them all~

However the 'best' part is..... You don't have options... Especially just when I pulled the trigger, the last 22cal black line in D&L just sold... I swear I saw it's available just two days ago... :(

Thanks to my shooting buddy I have the window opened when the door was closed.... The gentleman had his 97K in the box for a long time and can sell it to me... Just a normal ordinary standard HW97K with original box but that's all...oh, the Vortek 12fpe drop in kit is installed... I picked it up and brought it home about two months ago...

However things surprised me again and again because laterly my another buddy confirmed and found out that I actually also have the Rowan cocking aid and the extra set back trigger.... And of course, the rifle had been tuned well and in very good shape!

The rifle is very accurate, very good trigger (Thanks to the pervious owners' good tuning~), very easy cocking (especially while compare to my other under lever in the house...)... Every goof things you remember you read before regards how goof a HW97 can be all been proved with mine~ [emoji38]

However...... The stock looks a bit boring and after study how to buy and replace this one... I picked up my level one wood working skills again...

Finally, I have this 'special' HW97K in my collection... Actually don't want to make it like that in the beginning when I was actually just want to refresh and give some shine on it... :eek:

Oh... Because I have an unused adjustable butt pad, I added it on too... And added a scope, an old Discovery VT1 Pro which had been discontinued for quite a long time but I like it, simple and works well~

So... This is my favor shooter now. All necessary job had been done and done well, what I need to do is just enjoy and keep shooting~ ImageImageImageImageImageImage

6mm AW-Custom Z-Killer DE
~Competitors~
FWB300SU
Tau-7/IZH-46M/FWB-65/CP88
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k
CZ200s Laminated @ 10fpe
AA ProSport 177 @ 12fpe
HW 40+Extender/Scoped P3/70/75

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:44 pm 

Very very nice! Both the accuracy and the refinishing of the stock. It's surprising how often I see refinished beech stocks that have grain and figuring that was hidden by the brown stain the factory puts on.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:59 pm 

Thanks~ :)

Yeah. I found the beech wood grains are actually very special... However without stains, only a couples coats of oil treatment won't make the color as dark as the walnut... But it looks very special~ :)

My AA Pro Sport used the same pure tung oil and looks much much darker. And you can see the color changes actually after I thought I finished my coatings and just let the time goes by...

Below is my HW30 which I put just two coats of the walnut wood stains, then used the much shiny Minwax tung oil (I think it's too much afterwards, and prefer the not that shiny pure tung oil on my other projects then)... And it looks a lot different than this one. I only applied the black stains on the checkerings and nothing but pure tung oil on the stock....

~Competitors~
FWB300SU
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k
CZ200s Laminated @ 10fpe
AA ProSport 177 @ 12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:29 pm 

Interesting finish, YepYep. Those mineral inclusions horizontally, running right up into the forend are rather nice in a plain wood.
That AA ProSport appears to be walnut to me.
Nice job.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:38 am 

Ken,

You are getting to Pro level in stock refinishing skills now. Your patience really pays off.

Congratulations on a great find and a great refinishing job. Let's go shooting longer distance next season. Want to try an FT match?

通过我的 TAS-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言

FX Dreamline Classic
Weihrauch HW100KT FSB
Weihrauch HW97KT
Weihrauch HW50S
Artemis M16
Artemis PP700
Weihrauch HW40
Beeman P17
Stoeger XP4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:47 am 

Daryl wrote:
Interesting finish, YepYep. Those mineral inclusions horizontally, running right up into the forend are rather nice in a plain wood.
That AA ProSport appears to be walnut to me.
Nice job.
[emoji38] yeah~ those ' mineral inclusions ' are very interesting too~ you couldn't see it until you removed the stains and the original finish. And have no idea how and why there they are... From the blanks cutting directions?!

Yep, the Pro Sport is walnut... Looks walnut is the only thing they use to make the PS stock... Because I am still believe the PS is designed as a collection piece more than a 'tool' like other air guns... So they put lots of efforts to make the gun look pretty... :)

~Competitors~
FWB300SU
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k
CZ200s Laminated @ 10fpe
AA ProSport 177 @ 12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:53 am 

tom_ke888 wrote:
Ken,

You are getting to Pro level in stock refinishing skills now. Your patience really pays off.

Congratulations on a great find and a great refinishing job. Let's go shooting longer distance next season. Want to try an FT match?

通过我的 TAS-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言

Yeah... Patience.... And actually it's another trail and error project at this time working on the HW97... Since the very beginning, spent more than a month until I thought it's done and put the action and screws back...

Hardly believe I can turn this hobby to make money from it~ [emoji38]

In the future when I have time, I think I would be very interested in taking a wood working course somewhere~ :) :)

Yeah... Before I really turns old and have the worse eye sights, I think I have to make up some time to have some fun in the ourdoors for some matches~ let's see!

~Competitors~
FWB300SU
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k
CZ200s Laminated @ 10fpe
AA ProSport 177 @ 12fpe