Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:58 pm 
Site Moderator

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the ramjet cartridges used for firing a pellet. Interesting stuff! It's like an old Flobert rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_BB

Many years ago I had a Crosman Mk1 with a 12" barrel made from the end of a Cooeye rimfire rifle. The barrel shot fine and I was rolling cans around from 30 yards. Unfortunately I ended up selling that pistol to a guy in BC and regret it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:33 pm 

So my idea probably won't work for my purposes it seems.

None the less, I also am still interested in the results of the experiment as well.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:37 pm 

The gun itself is a firearm & thus shooting it (with anything) would constitute discharging a firearm.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:45 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The gun itself is a firearm & thus shooting it (with anything) would constitute discharging a firearm.

Yes, it sure seems there is no getting around the fact that itself is a "real" gun, you're correct.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:46 pm 

I have an update as we did some preliminary testing last week.
The Ramsets were attached to machined .22 cal brass slugs, weighing 16.5 gr and shot through a commercial ammunition test rig. Inconsistent speeds recorded for brown (level2) and green (level 3) Ramsets, but good consistency was recorded with red (Level 4) ramsets. Curiously, all 3 loads gave around 2000 fps max, but the SD on the red was low. A summary is in the table below.
The mass of powder in the brown and green loads was measured for one each, and found to be "about the same", note it was not analyzed for composition or energy value. The red loads haven't been dissected yet. The current speculation is that the manufacturing of these loads may not be strict and that the SD in powder load may match with what we measured in speed, but more work has to be done to find out the reason the SD is what it is. It sure is a fun project.

Attachments:
Pellet speeds.jpg
Pellet speeds.jpg [ 161.99 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]
Ramset apparatus.jpg
Ramset apparatus.jpg [ 229.3 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:27 pm 

Not a rifle but years ago I got a chance to shoot a single shot pistol that was factory made to shoot .22 pellets using a .22 blank. It really had some snap for a .22 pellet gun. I have no idea what the model or make was and have not been able to find reference to anything like it when I've briefly tried to find it on the net.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:45 pm 

Interesting readings, Duke. I've been involved with shooting cast bullets since the very early 1970's, and in normal rifle ctgs. we were limited to sub 2,000fps
with grooved AND lubricated bullets. Now, these top velocities were only capable if using oversized Gas Checked cast bullets of 22 Brinel, ie: linotype.
Of course part of the "problem" was the gas flame melting the base of the bullet and spraying lead onto the bore. That was only part, as abrasion from the rifling
was also a problem, along with gas cutting/melting of the bullet's sides.
These problems are less or reduced with larger diameter bullets. I was able to shove .45 and .50 cal bullets to in excess of 2,000fps using more modern lubricants
and softer alloys, without problems. Of course these bullets had bases protected with a copper gas/check or card wads.
Using virtually naked, pure lead pellets, driven by a gas/flame to 2,000fps seems as if leading MUST be a problem, along with lack of accuracy. Coupled with that,
is the failure of waisted pellets to shoot accurately in transonic or super sonic speeds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:41 pm 

Yes, we were prohibited from shooting lead, so we machined brass slugs - basically cylinders champherd at the muzzle end flat on the Ramset end, no wadding.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:10 pm 

AHH - OK.