Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:19 pm 

I got an idea,

What if I got .22 blank rounds from a hardware store (like those for ramsets) and used them to shoot .22 pellets out of my .22 rifle?

I think it should work no problem, technically speaking. Legally though is where I'd be very curious.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:27 pm 

There are a lot of Youtube videos of this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:57 pm 

I have a group of students working on it right now. :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:58 pm 
Site Moderator

Would that be like a homebrew CB cap with a lighter projectile?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:16 pm 

TCooper wrote:

I had to look up what a CB cap is, but after finding out what it was, pretty much a homebrew CB cap yeah.

I was more so thinking, you don't need any license to buy pellets, and you don't need a license to buy ramset/nailgun blanks either, because of that, maybe it could be a way I could shoot my .22 rifle on my large multi-acre property, without having to go to a licensed range? Or would the fact of a real firearm being used, make that illegal?

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:19 pm 

TCooper wrote:

Probably not. From what I read the CB cap has no powder load (and is rimfire) the Ramset has a powder load and is centre fire. We will be testing brown and green Ramsets for noise and muzzle velocity using 17 gr and 34 gr slugs, next semester. This dude inspired the project, look him up on YouTube: taofledermaus

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:15 pm 

You better have a PAL if you are ever checked, twiggy!.... It would definitely be a firearm.... Of course a .22 rimfire already is.... :lol:

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:26 pm 

rsterne wrote:
You better have a PAL if you are ever checked, twiggy!.... It would definitely be a firearm.... Of course a .22 rimfire already is.... :lol:

Bob

Oh yes, I have a R-P.A.L.

My question is not about possession, as that's obvious, but more so about at what point wouldn't you need to be at an approved range (or crown land/hunting grounds) to legally discharge? If you're not using firearm ammunition would it be somehow an exception?

For sake of convenience since I have a property spanning multiple acres, that is about 50% forest, I just wonder if using the ramset/nail gun blanks and .22 pellet would be a somehow legal work around, to use my .22 single shot rifle, the same way as I use my airsoft/bb/and pellet guns?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:59 pm 

If you have a no discharge bylaw that covers your property, it affects all listed forms...check to find out. Might find it covers pretty much anything and may even include bows and slingshots. Common sense is in increasingly short supply, but woke stupidity abounds.

.22 pellets are generally .215" at the head... .22 rimfire barrels are normally .222" at the groove...not a good match up if accuracy is important.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:03 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
If you have a no discharge bylaw that covers your property, it affects all listed forms...check to find out. Might find it covers pretty much anything and may even include bows and slingshots. Common sense is in increasingly short supply, but woke stupidity abounds.

.22 pellets are generally .215" at the head... .22 rimfire barrels are normally .222" at the groove...not a good match up if accuracy is important.

Luckily, I live in a part of town where discharge is allowed. We actually have a very reasonable discharge bylaw.

However, even in an area where discharge is allowed, in terms of federal firearms law, you cannot fire a firearm on your property randomly for no justified reason (like pest control, etc) without building a range and getting it approved. So I am more so curious if my idea would allow me to get around that federal aspect of the law?

Maybe a firearms lawyer would know more.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:35 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi Twiggy...I think I understand how you are thinking.

If I pop off a .22RF blank cartridge then am I "shooting" the rifle? If have a wax plug in front of the blank that shoots out the muzzle then am I "shooting"? What if I shoot a pellet through the barrel with a ramjet type of cartridge? At what point am I "shooting"?

I'm guessing that you are still "shooting" if a projectile comes out the barrel. You could shoot a BB cap, CB cap, .22 Quiet, short, long, long rifle and it's all "shooting". I think a primer driven pellet would still be "shooting" or "discharging a firearm". But, maybe my guess is wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:14 am 
Supporting Members

If a projectile leaves the barrel you are firing a gun......

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:09 pm 

Well obviously it would be a pal rate firearm and would be treated no different then any other pal rate gun .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:10 pm 

Yes - absolutely! I fail to understand how it could be anything other than discharging a firearm.
I suspect even shooting blanks might also be construed as discharging a firearm. If it makes noise,
it has the possibility of disturbing someone and that is all that matters to the police - "shots fired".
Whether or not charges will/would be laid, depends on the level of the "disturbance caused" I suppose.
"cause disturbance (by discharging a firearm)".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:32 pm 

If it looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it may be classified as a duck. But fundamentally a Ramset (or Hilti or Dewalt or whatever brand name) uses these charges to fire a nail and it's not considered a firearm. In the present case because the Ramset is put into a firearm (designed to discharge bullets) then it's not the sound it makes but the intention of the user that would classify it as a firearm weather or not there was a projectile involved. We had to go thorough quite a process to get permission to discharge Ramsets attached to projectile through a barreled device - but we got the necessary permits, and off we go. If I remember I'll post the results in the new year.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum