Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: ITAR Firearms Amendments
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:47 pm 

I have been wading through the ITAR Rules that the USA applies to barrels, and it appears they changed on March 9, 2020.... It appears this is an administrative change, but shows there may (eventually) be more chance of exporting barrels for non-military use from the US (to Canada, for example)....

Quote:
For example, the following items will still be ITAR-controlled after the adoption of the amendments:
Silencers, mufflers and sound suppressors;
Barrels, receivers (frames), bolts, bold carriers, slides and sears “specially designed” for the items covered under the newly revised USML Category I (a), (b) and (d);

Here is what those catagories mean....
Quote:
Paragraph (a) of amended USML Category I covers firearms that fire caseless ammunition. Paragraph (b) continues to cover fully automatic firearms, which are firearms that shoot more than one bullet by a single function of the trigger, to .50 caliber (12.7mm) inclusive. Paragraph (c) covers firearms specially designed to integrate fire control, automatic tracking, or automatic firing systems, and all weapons previously described in paragraph (c) that remain on the USML are now covered by paragraphs (a), (b) or (c) of this category or by Category II. Specially designed parts and components for the defense articles that remain in paragraph (c) are moved to Category I paragraph (h) of this final rule. This change from the proposed rule is necessary to allow for the designation of the end-item defense articles in paragraph (c) as Significant Military Equipment (SME) whereas the specially designed parts and components therefor are not. Paragraph (d) covers fully automatic shotguns.

The obvious intention here is to allow the export of non-military barrels to not be restricted under ITAR Rules.... Barrels over .50 cal are still ITAR items, however.... It appears that jurisdiction has changed from the Department of State to the Department of Commerce, so it may take a while before this actually means anything.... Cross your fingers.... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:23 pm 

Over the years, I've bought quite a few barrels from the USA. They did get sticky about scopes as well as triggers, for some reason, but barrels were still
coming to Canada.
ML barrels over .50 cal. have never been a problem in the past, but they are not .50 cal. Browning chambered.

Last edited by Daryl on Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:33 pm 

Been trying to get a barrel for my condor from US no joy here ..............

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:35 pm 

Really - I am surprised. What calibre& where is the sticky place?
Going back 2 administrations in the States, rules were introduced by Homeland Security that introduced fees
for the exportation of firearms parts. The air rifle barrel should no get hung up on that due to air guns not being firearms there.
>?????
Some companies who did little sales with Canada refused to get the export licenses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:49 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Really - I am surprised. What calibre& where is the sticky place?
Going back 2 administrations in the States, rules were introduced by Homeland Security that introduced fees
for the exportation of firearms parts. The air rifle barrel should no get hung up on that due to air guns not being firearms there.
>?????
Some companies who did little sales with Canada refused to get the export licenses.

Looking for 257 or 30 cal ........

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:59 pm 

Is there some block on these calibres? I've not bought air rifle barrels from the States, but have bought CF bls. in .172" .308 and .257 as well as ML barrels,
up to .69 in the past. Not sure what the problem is. Haven't bought one for 10 years or so, though.
Perhaps Air Force or whomever is not shipping to Canada? Maybe the Cdn. Gvt. has a new agreement with the US about barrels too, now?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:03 am 

I have found it very difficult to get any barrels for several years.... LW won't ship to Canada, neither will Lilja.... https://riflebarrels.com/canada-importing/ .... only to select gunsmiths.... The problem isn't getting them into Canada, but it has been an offence to ship them out of the USA.... I'm hoping that will change, but who knows.... The last time I talked to LW, the permit price to export from the US was $380 USD per shipment!.... :shock:

Borderview in Lynden, WA will import a barrel for $149 USD for the first one, $75 each additional, plus 5% of the total value, plus duty and taxes, plus shipping within Canada if you can't pick it up in Abbotsford.... However, when I asked them, they would not bring in any airgun parts (including barrels)!.... :roll:

Quote:
Haven't bought one for 10 years or so, though.

THAT explains it, Daryl !!!!.... :axe: .... It used to be no problem until the ITAR Rules came along (you can thank 9-11).... :evil:

Optics are the same, most companies won't ship Scopes to Canada, because the USA puts them in the same catagory as Night-Vision (or did, that may have changed again in 2020).... Gun stocks are the same, companies that used to ship to Canada wouldn't the last time I tried (pre 2020)....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:01 am 

I understand "things" have changed. Back when the other Trudeau was PM. he made an agreement with B.Clinton that rules would be changed (Executive order) that
no US citizen nor business would or could sell scopes to Canadian citizens. That is still ongoing.
I did buy barrels in around the 2003 or 2004 era, NP. THE ML barrels were back in the 80's, but my bro still buys ML barrels from the States, NP.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:54 am 

Daryl wrote:
I understand "things" have changed. Back when the other Trudeau was PM. he made an agreement with B.Clinton that rules would be changed (Executive order) that
no US citizen nor business would or could sell scopes to Canadian citizens. That is still ongoing.
I did buy barrels in around the 2003 or 2004 era, NP. THE ML barrels were back in the 80's, but my bro still buys ML barrels from the States, NP.

To be clear, the "other Trudeau" (the current PM's father, Pierre) was last in office from 1980 to 1984. Bill Clinton was U.S. President from 1993 to 2001. The two politicians didn't make the agreements you attribute to them.

Regarding getting barrels or other ITAR restricteed items, it's always been possible to get them.

The problem is that under ITAR regulations individual consumers lost the ability to order such items directly from US suppliers. For example, you can't order an LW or any other custom barrel from US barrel makers because under ITAR they are not permitted to ship them to you in Canada.

To get an ITAR restricted item that is allowed to be imported to Canada (some items such as suppressors can't be imported), it's necessary to go through a Canadian dealer who has an import licence. He works with a US supplier willing to get the necessary authorizations to export. This is how Canadians are able to get custom barrels from the US. Some Canadian dealers will import numbers of in-demand barrels, triggers etc. to have in stock for Canadian buyers. Other items may require a period of waiting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:50 pm 

and a rather large markup for their trouble.... I'm not saying they aren't entitled to make money, but the example I gave of Borderview will likely more than double the cost of a barrel for an airgun.... As I said, at one time, a US Export permit was $380.... ie $500 CDN....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:59 pm 

So - when did this ITAR come into effect? The last barrels I bought from the States were in the early some time between 2002 and 2012.
My bro has been buying barrels from the States right up until just a couple years ago.
To purchase a rifle from Washington State just a few years ago, he had to go through the Alberta shop.
As far as P. Trudeau, it must have been a different Us President, then. This "arrangement" was made in the late 70's or early 80's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:57 pm 

If you don't need weird calibers might be cheaper to just get a CZ200 and take out the barrel. They are pretty thick and super accurate. I made one to fit my FX impact.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:55 pm 

Not sure of the exact year, but ITAR Rules are supposed to keep Military Items out of the hands of terrorists.... The Optics thing was part of it.... Exporting ITAR banned items from the USA is the problem, not importing them into Canada, but the penalties are harsh (jail time) if you get caught.... I have no doubt lots of barrels and scopes came into Canada long after ITAR came into effect, I'm pretty sure some of the ones I got were among them.... :oops: .... I know TJ's got a nasty visit and were told to stop sending barrels to Canada years ago (maybe 7-10?)....

Bob