Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:54 am 

is there different in lead hunting pellets or lead free hunting pellets in no pal. airrifles fps.around 495/and the engery is 3.95 ft-lbp hunting pest. like rats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:46 am 

You are obviously talking about a .177 pellet. I'm not sure a sub 500fps air rifle in .177 is suitable for rats. Mice, yes, to 10-15 yards, but maybe not rats
& definitely not ground squirrels, some folks call "rats".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:25 am 

hitblong wrote:
is there different in lead hunting pellets or lead free hunting pellets in no pal. airrifles fps.around 495/and the engery is 3.95 ft-lbp hunting pest. like rats.

Yes lead free are crap lead works fine and non pal airguns are not recommenced for hunting .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:40 pm 

I tried some .22 lead free=copper pellets for target shooting, and I can confirm the group size and accuracy suffered.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:17 am 

Lead-free pellets are lighter, harder and not bad in target shooting as they have flatter trajectory but not recommended for hunting because they have less retaining energy and knocking power, and less penetration than lead as well as the deformed wound channel are much less. One more advantage is if you shoot indoor with proper backstop like newspaper/cardboard, the lead-free can be reused many times!

As for hunting, if you are not well practiced don't use .177 and .22 is OK for small size up to rabbits under 20 yards. However if you can consistently hit the eyeball size of the game you are able to hunt with .177 up to 15 yards. The point of hit is the key, not the power.

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:49 pm 

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a lead-free hunting pellet. There are lead free pellets, but nothing in the HP field of "hunting" pellets made lead-free.
Pellets specifically designed for hunting, aka "Hunting Pellets". have a characteristic to create more internal damage to the game hunted. Most often this is a hollow point,
hollow cavity or a hollowed point partially filled with a lead, plastic or metal pointed 'head'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:33 pm 

Daryl wrote:
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a lead-free hunting pellet. There are lead free pellets, but nothing in the HP field of "hunting" pellets made lead-free.
Pellets specifically designed for hunting, aka "Hunting Pellets". have a characteristic to create more internal damage to the game hunted. Most often this is a hollow point,
hollow cavity or a hollowed point partially filled with a lead, plastic or metal pointed 'head'.

Yes mostly hunting pellets has 4 types:
1. hollow point, including some special ones such as Crosman Piranha, to create an excess wound channel and retaining more knocking powers
2. pointed, including domed, Polymag, Leathal, Rocket, and LUXOR Cu – Sharp pyramid shaped (https://gamousa.com/product/luxor-cu-sh ... pellet-22/). These pellets are more focusing on better trajectory as well as penetration, ideal for longer ranges and larger size games.
3. Slugs, mostly hollow pointed. and they are better in ranges 75-150 yards as well as very good penetrations (for magnum power/PCP guns only)
4. Lead BBs, from .22 Cal to .50 Cal, ideal for very high power and large games ONLY

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:06 pm 

I disagree with some of this last post.
You have to be careful reprinting advertisements as truth. Oft times, the truth is quite different.
I would suggest here that round lead balls, calibre .45 and up would be useful in the higher powered air rifles for larger game, yes.
I would put small deer in the .45 & .50 calibre round ball category. I do have some experience with hunting big game with round balls.
Over .50 cal. as in the .58, at close range of perhaps 50yards, large deer, elk and moose could be added. The .72 Zeus with round balls
would easily handle moose and elk to 100yards - with perfect shot placement only - broadside lung shots. Sub 1000fps round ball loads
have no more "power" than the black powder pistols of the 17th and 18th century.
Smaller than .45, ie: .36(9mm) and smaller are not suitable for large game - squirrels and rabbits down to .25 cal. Smaller than that
mice, rats etc - if faster than 500fps, that is.