Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:56 am 

Hi,

I was just wondering, of the various types of airguns (co2, hpa, multi and single pump, break barrel or under leaver, etc.) which are the ones that one should not store pressurized (and why shouldn't they be), and which ones is it perfectly fine or 'safe' to leave pressurized?

I ruled out co2 in my searching, especially when I heard how significantly it is affected by temperature. But I also heard recently that you shouldn't put away a co2 airgun with any co2 left in it. So that made me question all types of power sources.

Thanks for any explanation and details.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:18 pm 

It is a reasonable question. Lets break it down by mechanism:
Spring airguns must not be stored pressurized. The spring will take a set and the gun will lose power and possibly be inconsistent. Besides that it's dangerous since these guns recoil and an accidental discharge even if unloaded will make it jump. Gas springs may not show any ill effects of long term storage while compressed - but for safety just don't do it.
Multi pump guns (1377/2277 type) should be stored with some pelgun oil and a pump or two to keep the seals lubed and working.
PCPs should be stored filled or nearly filled, lubed with silicone oil. This keeps the seals fresh and working. It's also good for your air tank. In fact the best way to treat a pressure tank is to keep it filled, because the fatigue life is a function of the number of empty-full cycles, and the pressure difference. So if you fill to 200 bar shoot to 150 bar and repeat this - the fatigue life will be much higher (probably infinite) compared to 200-70 bar cycles. Water is the air is your enemy - eliminate it.
CO2 guns are OK to be stored with some CO2 in them, with pelgun oil to keep the seals good. CO2 carts can deform the seal at the interface where the cart is pierced, so it is wise to remove the cart if you are storing for a long time, say >2 months. Also, Co2 carts often corrode and get stuck, so its wise to remove them for long term storage. If your seals are the wrong material, CO2 can destroy them pretty quick. So YMMV. People on here have reported CO2 guns in storage filled with CO2 for 2+ years still shoot fine. I have a 2240 that I filled with a cart back in feb, and I just fired it and it's fine.
SSPs, like the Daisy 883/953, could benefit from some pressure but I have always stored mine oiled and unpressurized. I don't know a way to partially pressure a SSP.
HIH, others will have their own methods.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:57 pm 

My only Co2 rifle(gun) is an Umarex Gauntlet .22. It has had a 1/2 filled 12 ounce co2 tank on it for about 4 years. It still functions well.
This is actually a PCP compressed air rifle, that works well on CO2. It won't hold air any more (??) but holds CO2 just fine.
Every now and then (every couple months) I fire off a non-pellet shot from it.
My PCP's all have pressure in them, usually full.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:15 pm 

Thanks for your replies. I have to learn where to apply this pelgun oil, and/or silicone oil.
If a co2 or hpa rifle lost pressure over a short time in storage then that would suggest that some seals are shot?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:51 pm 

Yes, I would assume so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:19 pm 

Guiydna wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I have to learn where to apply this pelgun oil, and/or silicone oil.
If a co2 or hpa rifle lost pressure over a short time in storage then that would suggest that some seals are shot?

Put a drop of the right oil on the tip of a cart when you load it. For a ssp or multipump there is usually a sponge of visible piston when you open the pump arm, lube that spot. Don't over lube it will just mess up your barrel. Put silicone oil on your fill probe or tip of your Foster for filling PCP/HPA.
Sometimes the seals just get dry and may have a set or flat spot. A shot of pelgun oil or a strip and relube may restore the function. It's pretty common for guns to have "slow leak", so if you put it away and come back in 2 months and find the air or CO2 has leaked out it an indication that there is a minor sealing issue, likely if you shot the gun more frequently it wouldn't leak down to zero that quick. What Daryl does (dry fire occasionally) is actually a good thing, because it allows the valve to open and get a bit of lube on the seals to help preserve them. Incidentally, for CO2 guns straight weight SAE30W oil (no detergent) or ATF can be used as a substitute for Pelgun oil which cost about $1000 for a l. Silicone oil is cheap and there are many sources, such as CT look for treadmill tread lubricant.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum