Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Air pistol or not?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:34 am 

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great Christmas. I’ve been tossing something around in my head for quite some time now. I really want to purchase a pcp air pistol, but I’m not sure whether or not, it’s “safe” to do so. I like the idea of something compact to carry in a backpack for hunting. I know the regulations say you can hunt small game with an air gun, but I wonder if that applies to pistols too. I’ve been to my local MNR office, but there never seems to be a CO there that I can talk to. I’m also concerned with all this confusing C-21 stuff going on. If I would be better off just getting a rifle, i’ll do so, but I really want a pistol. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Ron

Post subject: Re: Air pistol or not?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:16 pm 
Site Moderator

I think the provinces have differing MNR rules. What province do you live? Check the regulations for that province. In Ontario we can use air rifles, non-PAL air pistols, bows, firearms, rocks, slingshots, etc to hunt small game.

You need to get close to your game when using an air pistol and .22cal gives the most punch at sub 500fps. The Cr1322 with a bit of a tune can get you into the mid-high 400s and should work for careful head, neck and spine hits. A steel breech and red dot is a nice addition for precision shots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:34 pm 

I'm here learning so take what I offer with a grain of salt.

The word pistol, right off the bat tells me non-carry if it is over 500fps.....If under, then I believe it can be carried. Anything over 500fps pistol is a classified firearm, and you will need your restricted firearms designation and thus can only be used at the shooting range?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:43 pm 
Site Moderator

WoodWelder wrote:
I'm here learning so take what I offer with a grain of salt.

The word pistol, right off the bat tells me non-carry if it is over 500fps.....If under, then I believe it can be carried. Anything over 500fps pistol is a classified firearm, and you will need your restricted firearms designation and thus can only be used at the shooting range?

Exactly. A PAL rated air pistol is like having a powder burner pistol. Hence my suggestion of a hard hitting Crosman 1322. Stay just under the limit so it's non-PAL.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:16 pm 

As noted, different Provinces have different rules regarding air rifles and pistols.
In BC it is illegal to hunt with a pistol. They do not differentiate between air pistols or powder burning pistols. No pistols for hunting in B.C.
A P.A.L. rated pistol is a restricted firearm & restricted firearms cannot be used for hunting, whether long guns or pistols/revolvers.
The PP700-SA is a great shooting PCP handgun that is sub 500fps, thus not a restricted handgun/firearm.
They shoot very well and if scoped or red-dot sighted, if legal, could be used for close range grouse and bunnies, in .22. Mine shoots OK to
20yards with the old red-dot sight.
It preferred the heavy H&N pellets to all others. This was H&N 21.3gr. Match and 19.09gr. Barracuda Hunter Extremes. The Predators did fairly
well, but in subsequent group shooting, did not hold up the accuracy displayed here.

Attachments:
PP700 20yds.JPG
PP700 20yds.JPG [ 457.38 KiB | Viewed 901 times ]
PP700As.22 20m resized.jpg
PP700As.22 20m resized.jpg [ 366.14 KiB | Viewed 902 times ]
PP700 20 yards.jpg
PP700 20 yards.jpg [ 327.27 KiB | Viewed 902 times ]

Last edited by Daryl on Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:26 pm 

Good advices given here!

Ronnie you could discuss your needs with Wes @ Airgun & Archery Fun, he may have something you'll like.

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/air-pistol/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:59 pm 
Site Moderator

If Bill C-21 comes into effect then things get a bit complicated. At that point, in Ontario, it appears that we could use certain prohibited airguns (rifles & pistols) for hunting but we can't use a prohibited powder burner for hunting. But don't use a restricted for hunting and don't get your prohibs confused ...lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:00 pm 

It's just simply not going to work... Because the limit to the air pistol is under 500fps, if your air pistol going over it, like 501fps, just imagine it's a 9mm powder burner or just a.50 AE Desert Eagle. In law, they are no different.

And can you bring your.50 DE with you to hunt in the brush??

That's a RPAL weapon, you even need a special premit for bringing it from your home to the licensed shooting range with it locked in a case and stored in the trunk of your car.

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:30 pm 

I would also suggest a .177 pistol or revolver is not powerful enough for grouse (morally), just like a sub 500fps air rifle.
When I was a kid, I used to kill black and grey squirrels with a sub 500fps .177 air rifle. Oft times, the squirrels would escape
wounded or need 2 or 3 hits. Today, this sort of thing is frowned upon - I do as well. If I knew then, what I know now, I would
not have done it. I did borrow a school mate's RWS .177 that was WAY more powerful than my rifle. It was GREAT for the same
make of squirrels. (dairy farms of South Western Ontario, 1950's and 60's)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:37 am 

IDK what qualifies as a "pistol" for your purposes, but perhaps something like my Artemis PP750 carbine would serve?

Mine weighs:
4.2 lbs w/scope UTG 3-9 AO Bugbuster

14.3 gr Crosman Premier HP @ 474 fps

Accuracy is good enough for small game beyond 25 yards, assisted by the extendable stock.

Maybe that kind of option would suit your needs?

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:02 am 

Daryl wrote:
I would also suggest a .177 pistol or revolver is not powerful enough for grouse (morally), just like a sub 500fps air rifle.
When I was a kid, I used to kill black and grey squirrels with a sub 500fps .177 air rifle. Oft times, the squirrels would escape
wounded or need 2 or 3 hits.
Today, this sort of thing is frowned upon - I do as well. If I knew then, what I know now, I would
not have done it. I did borrow a school mate's RWS .177 that was WAY more powerful than my rifle. It was GREAT for the same
make of squirrels. (dairy farms of South Western Ontario, 1950's and 60's)

Many of us are in that same boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:53 pm 

You would need to check the hunting regs first. I suspect they all say no hunting with a handgun as that was banned some time ago. You may get lucky and find they have an exception for airguns, but I doubt it.
The only guys I know who get to carry a pistol for animals are trappers and miners.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:07 pm 

Here in BC, guides as well could get a 'carry" permit. I do not know if that is possible now, though.
A friend of mine has his guide permit-to-carry. I never applied, but suppose I should have done so,
10 years ago. I just packed my .458.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:08 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Here in BC, guides as well could get a 'carry" permit. I do not know if that is possible now, though.
A friend of mine has his guide permit-to-carry. I never applied, but suppose I should have done so,
10 years ago. I just packed my .458.

When I worked in the bush for forest companies here in BC and in Manitoba cruising and reccy'ing timber, I got a Permit to Carry from the police each year. I packed a .45 for a long time, then a .44 mag. It all stopped when the forest companies decided there was too much risk (?).
JD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:42 am 
Site Moderator

Hi Ronnie... let us know which PCP air pistol you decide to get for smallgame in Ontario.

"Air and pellet guns are not permitted for hunting big game, but may be used for hunting small game."
https://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario ... egulations