Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana MOD 25 help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:06 pm 

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me on identifying what time span this MOD 25 was made. I’d also be curious as to what the FPS on it is.

I’ve watched quite a few videos, and read quite a bit of history on them, but never seen one with these markings yet. Seems like they’re all very similar. I’m in the process of breaking it down and can’t seem to find any disassembly video for it. If anyone could point me in a direction for that, it would be super helpful. I’m redoing it for my step son. BTW, I do have the trigger guard, I just don’t have it attached for the pictures.

Any info would be fantastic and super helpful. I appreciate any insight into the thing. Air rifles aren’t my thing, but I’ve refurbished all kinds of old rifles and shotguns.

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject: Re: Diana MOD 25 help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:30 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Tyjohn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:35 am 

If you post your location, perhaps someone has a chronograph nearby.

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:01 am 

Hi and welcome on the forum Tyjohn,

Your rifle looks to be from the late '50s, early '60s if I rely on the kind of sights it has. These airguns had a leather piston seal, also a leather breech seal and were never a powerhouse. Expect to see velocity in the high 500s, low 600s with a good piston seal and a fresh main spring. You can expect good accuracy out of it if the barrel is in good condition. They also usually had what is called a direct sear trigger.

I don't have a link for a video, but these airguns are among the simplest to take apart. I do have a Gecado 25, which is a re-branded Diana, and mine is very similar to yours (and currently in bits). If you give me a few days, I could post some pictures and additionnal details on disassembly and rebuild.

After the second World War, the British inherited the tooling and parts from Diana as ''repair'' for the damage they suffered from the Germans, hence why yours is marked ''Made in Great-Britain''. These are not exceptionnal airguns, but very well made all wood and metal guns nonetheless, well worth a rebuild. Ah, and look on the butt plate, there may be a manufacturing date stamped in the wood. Later Diana rifles had the date stamped on the rear left side of the receiver tube.

HTH, :drinkers: .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:52 am 

Thank you very much for the info! I’m not looking for a powerhouse by any means, it’s basically just something for the step son to use to get used to shooting and practice with. As for some pictures, that would be incredibly helpful. I feel like I could definitely figure out how to disassemble it, it’s the putting back together again that I may have the issues with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:27 pm 

Tyjohn1986 wrote:
I feel like I could definitely figure out how to disassemble it, it’s the putting back together again that I may have the issues with.

I'm here learning about airguns just like you......My experience when taking stuff apart is to take pictures, pull a piece off, take more pictures until all stripped down. Look at pictures while putting it all back together. This has helped me over the years digging into major motorcycle repairs over the years.

I pulled apart my underlever, cleaned and lubed everything and it shoots like a dream. Work slow and take your time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:59 pm 

Hi again Tyjohn, sorry for the wait.

Here’s how I take the Diana 25 apart. As I said, mine’s a Gecado 25 but it’s mechanically identical to your rifle. So here you go :

First remove the three stock screws, there’s one on each side of the forearm, and the front trigger guard screw is the third one, and lift the action out of the stock. Then remove the rear metal cap (it’s a slip-on fit), then the trigger spring (red arrow). A pair of needle-nose pliers is good for this, just be careful not to deform the spring. Next remove the small locking screw for the barrel pivot screw, then the main screw itself.

Attachments:
G25_1.JPG
G25_1.JPG [ 43.6 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]
G25_2.JPG
G25_2.JPG [ 40.94 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]
G25_3.JPG
G25_3.JPG [ 43.1 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]

Last edited by airmec on Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:03 pm 

There shall be shim washers between the breech block and compression tube, again be careful as these are pretty thin.

To remove the main spring from the compression tube I use a heavy-duty wood clamp with rubber padding on the jaws. You want to tighten the clamp just enough so that the cross pins (there are two) can be removed by pushing them out by hand. Lift the trigger out of the tube and gently un-tighten the clamp so the trigger housing will be pushed out by the main spring.

In the third picture you see the two pins, and the direct-sear trigger. Please note that the sear is directly attached to the trigger blade itself, with no intermediate lever, hence the name.

Attachments:
G25_4.JPG
G25_4.JPG [ 50.72 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]
G25_5.JPG
G25_5.JPG [ 44.29 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]
G25_6.JPG
G25_6.JPG [ 46.2 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:06 pm 

Remove the trigger housing, the spring guide and the spring, then slide the piston out of the tube. In the third picture you see the leather piston seal, which is in great condition in my rifle. The seal is held in place with a common slotted-head screw, so it’s quite easy to replace if needed.

Attachments:
G25_7.JPG
G25_7.JPG [ 37.57 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]
G25_8.JPG
G25_8.JPG [ 50.81 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]
G25_9.JPG
G25_9.JPG [ 25.81 KiB | Viewed 3772 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:09 pm 

The leather breech seal in my rifle was falling to dust when I got the rifle, so it’s already gone in the pic. If yours needs replacement, you can either make a new one out of an old leather belt, or use a 13x8x2,5 mm Oring.

Putting the rifle back together is the reverse of dis-assembly. The piston and breech seals should be impregnated with silicon, neatsfoot or ND motor oil before re-assembly. Be gentle with the piston seal when you re-install the piston in the tube, you don’t want to tear it apart.

This is the basic dis-assembly/re-assembly procedure I follow, if you need more details please feel free to ask!

Also here’s a link to a good parts diagram : https://www.airgunspares.com/gunspares/ ... el-25.html

Attachments:
G25_10.JPG
G25_10.JPG [ 42.35 KiB | Viewed 3771 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:01 pm 

Good stuff, airmec - nicely explained, well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:49 am 

Thank you Daryl :drinkers: . I hope the OP will find that useful, teaching the basics of shooting to a youngster is probably the best reason to rebuild an airgun :) .