Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:08 pm 

Hi there,

The stock on my CZ 200 S FS (which I bought from the forum store) is broken. Does anyone have one or know where I can get a replacement? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:56 pm 

The Aeron stock for CZ200 looks pretty good if you are into the look, but might be more expensive than a new rifle. If it's a clean break you might be able to fix it with wood glue, and it will probably be stronger than original stock.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:00 pm 

Are you in Alberta?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:10 pm 

Joebones wrote:
Hi there,

The stock on my CZ 200 S FS (which I bought from the forum store) is broken. Does anyone have one or know where I can get a replacement? Thank you.

Can it not be repaired? Most stocks can be repaired.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:07 pm 

I'm in Winnipeg.

It got a crack from either side of the trigger and it runs around the grip. It hasn't made it right the way round yet. The crack is weird as the wood looks as if it is separating in 3-4 different places. As it is I can't get into it to glue it. It seems like the only solution is to break it fully and then glue it back together. I'm just hesitant to do this. I have no idea how much a replacement would cost, or even if they are available. I guess I might have to bite the bullet and try and repair it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:37 pm 

I have read that laminated stocks are falling apart all over, this I can't get my head around. Being as this is my trade I have yet to have anything fall apart. In fact, anything laminated is by far more stable stronger, won't crack or warp like solid wood does. I find this so hard to believe.

Obviously these laminated stocks are being either built by amateurs or they are engineered to fall apart?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:53 pm 

If you could post some pictures

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:35 pm 

It's not laminated, its the regular wood stock that it came with. I suspect someone trod on it when we were at the cabin. It's a weird crack though. I just plucked up the courage to break it fully (it took next to no effort) and thankfully it broke cleanly. I've got it glued and clamped as I type. Hopefully, this'll work. I've just been afraid to make it worse to make it better... not sure how to post pics. I'll put some up if I can figure it out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:39 pm 

Too late now but I would have recommended the glue to use.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:12 pm 

if the glue up isn't clean enough, you can always redo the entire stock with dark stain or even do it in black.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:30 pm 

I used Gorilla glue (a woodworker I know recommended it).

I may re-stain it if it looks terrible. Thanks.

The crack...

https://imgur.com/cM3v625

https://imgur.com/ilMozIa

https://imgur.com/u9mcI9N

I didn't take a picture of me snapping it (it freaked me out doing it).

Repair in progress...

https://imgur.com/qiEB0nj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:38 am 
Site Moderator

You might be able to run a pin through the cracked section to give even more strength against movement. A long skinny screw often works fine. Maybe you can get it into the inletting area and cut off the head after. On the last one I repaired I drilled hole and epoxied the screw in and then cut off head with Dremel so it was flush. I'm not sure if this will work for your rifle. It depends how much wood you have on the upper section, right above the grip.

The cheapo Chinese WF-600 rifle comes with a large screw running from the inletting down through the grip to give some strength to the soft mystery wood. You don't even know it's there until disassembly. The screw head was recessed rather than chopped.

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 360 KiB | Viewed 484 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:19 am 

I agree with TCooper as that was my exact thought on the repair when I seen the 4 photos posted. Here is a YouTube video I found showing what this guy did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuQxjCI8OdQ

IMHO the stock on the CZ-200 is the Achilles heel on that gun. Nothing on that stock is linear to the cheek piece, very poor design considering the awesome shooting rifle it is that packs the outstanding reviews it gets.

Edit to add, Gorilla glue is good for nothing more than hobby projects.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:54 pm 

Thanks for all the advice...

The problem with inserting a pin or screw in this rifle is that there is already a pin running up the grip to attach the metal part of the rifle. The profile of the stock gives you no room to insert anything of substance to support the fix.

I was skeptical about using gorilla glue, but the woodworker I spoke to was adamant this was my best bet. It seems to have created a strong bond. What would you have recommended (in case I have to redo it)?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:08 pm 

For ease of use and structurally sound repair Titebond III can't be beat for the intermediate woodworker.....

Are there better? Yes but it is a two part used to laminate structural laminated wooden support beams etc. This type has a short shelf life and not cost effective for the average joe.