Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Firearms Reference Table
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:15 am 

While looking through the firearms reference tables
provided through armalytics, I noticed something I found interesting. With some higher priced air rifles,Weirauch,Diana,and BSA in particular, the applicable reference table makes note that there are versions of the rifles that shoot at power levels below the legal limit and as such are exempted and no doubt these are the rifles sold as “non-pal” by Canadian retailers. With other rifles: Hatsan BT65, AT44, along with the CZ200 and the air arms s400 (biathlon model) and perhaps others as well, all rifles available at one time or another as “non pal”, there is no such clarification and all are listed as non-restricted firearms with muzzle velocity and power levels exceeding the legal limit. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:35 am 

You may or may not be aware, that C21 which is in committee right now with the 400 page amendment, lists all non P.A.L. air rifles that have a "regulated" model, will be considered
replicas and prohibited. Just saying. Of course, perhaps their "VARIANTS" clause will also be used.
C21 must fail!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:11 pm 

WHOA, wait a minute.... Are you saying that if there is a non-PAL version of an airgun that is non-restricted, that the non-restricted version will be OK, but the non-PAL "Variant" will be prohibited?....

Seriously?!?!?.... :shock: :evil:

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:17 pm 

That appears to be their wording, Bob, along with all paint ball and air soft, by the sounds of it.
All Air guns that are non-regulated, but which are replicas of regulated guns - not the exact wording, but something akin to that.
considering Ruger #1's are on the block because someone at some time, registered one that had been re-worked, re-chambered to .460 WTBY
which is prohibited. I would not put it past them to prohibit anything. Even an 1885 Westley Richards single shot black powder rifle is listed as prohibited
in the amendments. Seems to me, the air gun stuff was in the original C21 which passed 2 readings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:02 pm 

It is not only possible, but probable that the first 'drive' will be to confiscate those arms, prohibited by the May 1st 2020 OIC. That there is verbiage allowing much more
encompassing prohibitions is the MORE dangerous 'stuff' for the airgun faction. They "chose the words very carefully". If anyone here thinks C21 has nothing to do with
them, they are wrong. Just when they come for any or all of your guns, remains a mystery. "WE chose the words very carefully". That was Blaire's statement back in 2020,
predecessor to Mendicino. They are all subservient to the PM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:57 pm 

rsterne wrote:
WHOA, wait a minute.... Are you saying that if there is a non-PAL version of an airgun that is non-restricted, that the non-restricted version will be OK, but the non-PAL "Variant" will be prohibited?....

Bob

Yep. All detuned guns will be "replicas" by their definition.
They have also said, they want to ban all guns with a military heritage, so in other words, just about everything. I suspect the RCMP will be employed to call just about everything a "variant" and therefore prohibited.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:18 am 

paddyfritz wrote:
rsterne wrote:

Bob

Yep. All detuned guns will be "replicas" by their definition.
They have also said, they want to ban all guns with a military heritage, so in other words, just about everything. I suspect the RCMP will be employed to call just about everything a "variant" and therefore prohibited.

If they ban all guns with a military heritage, I'd assume the majority of the metric calibres would be banned as most were designed to be used by some military in some country over the years.
The 30-06 or 30 Springfield, the .223, .308, 303, the old .43 Mauser all have some history in different militaries.
Some of the guns in my possession that are on the banned/prohibited list have been in the cabinet for 30 years and have never encouraged me to participate in any illegal activities.
The current freeze on any handgun transfers has left a sour taste in my mouth. I have some restricted guns with significant sentimental value. It seems to be more of a hassle every year to keep them, let alone shoot them. You are basically viewed as a criminal for even wanting them in your possession.

Hatsan AT44 .25
Daisy Avanti 753S, 2x Daisy 953 cadet
2x Tau7