Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Do you like snow?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:06 pm 

Fortunately I do, 'cause we had a good 12 inches this night, the first ''true'' snowstorm of this year. Coming back home after work this night at 3h15 AM was quite sketchy and innerving. My Elantra is a good car with brand new snow tires, but it's no fourby. I felt it often floating over the snow covered road rather than rolling :shock: . But I got home with no problems, was just longer than usual. And I'll be snow shoeing this week-end for sure!

Look at the snow beside my car, it goes up to the middle of the wheel, and on the top of the trash containers, they were clean yesterday :lol: .

Cheers all, and be careful!

Attachments:
New_snow_1.JPG
New_snow_1.JPG [ 46.51 KiB | Viewed 636 times ]
New_snow_2.JPG
New_snow_2.JPG [ 56.19 KiB | Viewed 636 times ]

Post subject: Re: Do you like snow?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:17 pm 

Short answer is "no".
I got about the same, fortunately I could just phone in grumpy and didn't go to work so I didn't have to drive in it. Took me 3 hrs to clear my driveway. :rolleyes: :drinkers: :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:09 pm 

Snow is great, so long as it's somewhere else.
;-)

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:42 pm 

I still play hockey does that count?

As far as snow goes....To quote Simon Cowell, "It's a NO from me." :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:56 pm 

LOL I don't mine a little.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:59 pm 

lol...not sure what everyone's always complaining about, you call that snow :roll:
I remember when I was young we had some real snow falls so much so that
cars where completely covered now that was some snow... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:15 pm 

1971 in South Western Ontario - only 40" of so of actual snowfall in 24 hours, but with the normal winds, drifts to 12' deep across highways. The army was out with ATV's of the era delivering food to farmers & rural populations after a couple days. A huge snow blower, tractor driven, drove from London to Dorchester in the middle of Hamilton road, only judging by the power poles along the road. When it made the return trip to London widening the road, a crew walked in front of it, driving poles into the straight walled snow bank looking for cars and trucks caught in the drifts that night. They found some & detoured around them, carrying on. The military dug these out checking for bodies.
That was a snow fall!
We've had some like it in Smithers and PG, back in 79 and 81 - only worse(A LOT MORE SNOW). More used to handling snow out here, so not as big a deal, in actuality.
Total snow fall in 81 was 13', seems to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:22 pm 

I walked to a part time job at the Winnipeg Free Press downtown on the saturday. Earned $5 for the 2 hours and walked home. See this link......

https://steinbachonline.com/articles/sn ... rch-4-1966

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2684829501

http://robsobsblog.blogspot.com/2016/03 ... ry-of.html

Answer is NO!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 4star60 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:26 pm 

Diary of a Snow Shoveler
Author unknown
December 8: 6:00 PM.
It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!
December 9:
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.
December 12:
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man I'm glad he's our neighbor.
December 14:
Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.
December 15:
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.
December 16:
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my buttock on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.
December 17:
Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.
December 20:
Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Goddamn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.
December 22:
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white litter fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the asshole is lying.
December 23:
Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0o. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.
December 24:
6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a bitch who drives that snowplow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas Carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for the goddamn snowplow.
December 25:
Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the !=3D@x@!x!x1 slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an idiot. If I have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to kill her.
December 26:
Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.
December 27:
Temperature dropped to -30o and the pipes froze.
December 28:
Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. THE BITCH is driving me crazy!!!!!
December 29:
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?
December 30:
Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.
December 31:
Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.
January 8:
I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:11 pm 

Kinda knew where that was going!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinkers: :drinkers:
First bit sounded like me after I got a Craftsman Snow Blower. It worked splendidly for 25 years, then I bought a new TORO - Man did it ever throw snow! WOW.
Sept 12th or 13th the next year, it went missing from behind the shed, out of sight of anywhere and covered with a tarp. Called the RCMP- and was advised I was
the 8th person who called about stolen snow blowers that morning - it was 9:30AM. I was advised that it would be 1/2 way to Fort Mac by then. She know something
I didn't?
I hate to see it snow now, but still have a grip on things - somewhat. :drinkers: My wife does, well most all the shoveling now. My body can't take it any more. :(
When we get a big dump, there is a commercial out fit comes and blows the driveway - $40.00.

Last edited by Daryl on Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:21 pm 

Ace wrote:
lol...not sure what everyone's always complaining about, you call that snow :roll:
I remember when I was young we had some real snow falls so much so that
cars where completely covered now that was some snow... :wink:

I remember that too Ace :wink: . I remember my uncle lost his Beetle in the snow for a couple days, he had to find it before being able to free it LOL! That was a 6 or 7 feet of snow!

I remember also when I was in Fermont in northern Quebec, once we had a 8+ feet snowfall, even the 793f 220 tons haulers couldn't circulate, the mine had to use the big Cat D11 bulldozers and model 24 Cat graders to clear snow. Our landsurveying team had a two-days break, our own Jeeps were completely useless :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:23 pm 

abslayer wrote:
Diary of a Snow Shoveler

LOL! I forgot about that one, thanks for posting!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:33 pm 

WoodWelder wrote:
I still play hockey does that count?

As far as snow goes....To quote Simon Cowell, "It's a NO from me." :lol: :lol:

It sure does, winter sports and activities are the best ways to combat winter blues :wink: :drinkers: .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:36 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Kinda knew where that was going!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinkers: :drinkers:
First bit sounded like me after I got a Craftsman Snow Blower. It worked splendidly for 25 yards, then I bought a new TORO - Man did it ever throw snow! WOW.
Sept 12th or 13th the next year, it went missing from behind the shed, out of sight of anywhere and covered with a tarp. Called the RCMP- and was advised I was
the 8th person who called about stolen snow blowers that morning - it was 9:30AM. I was advised that it would be 1/2 way to Fort Mac by then. She know something
I didn't?
I hate to see it snow now, but still have a grip on things - somewhat. :drinkers: My wife does, well most all the shoveling now. My body can't take it any more. :(
When we get a big dump, there is a commercial out fit comes and blows the driveway - $40.00.

Daryl I'm a former dedicated Toro mechanic, never saw better snowthrowers! That's too bad, but I'm not surprised, you had yours stolen.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:11 pm 

LOL - guess I should have proof-read that. That old Craftsman worked for 25 YEARS and THAT'S a lot of snow blowing.
Yeah- the Toro was a GREAT snowblower. Can't knock the Craftsman, though it did need chains. The Toro didn't, having
great tires with deep wide lug design.