Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:56 pm 

Whatever you want to call is, mine is stripped!.... The Acme threaded screw that drives it by the handwheel is fine, but the female threads in the ram are shot....

If you have one, or know where I can get one, please let me know.... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:02 pm 

Have you tried contacting a machinist? My thoughts are it would be an easy job for them to install a Helicoil? I have used these in the past and the repair is stronger than the original threads.

Honestly, I can't see them charging an arm and a leg. They have large tap and die tools, can determine the pitch of thread, order the correct kit and you're back in business.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:51 pm 

That's a possibility, but there are no machineshops near here.... and the thread is 1/2"-10 Acme, left hand.... McMaster Carr have Bronze nuts, 1" long, that I could turn down and bore the quill to 3/4", but of course they don't sell to Canada.... I haven't found another source yet....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:53 am 

Will make a call or two tomorrow....seems we had the same thoughts on the repair. :)

Could check with BusyBee Tools 1-800-461-BUSY (2879) . Prt 262 for CX 701 lathe is listed as 10tpi. (the threaded bushing for the tail stock quill). Maybe they will check the dimensions for you and it might be made to work?

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:36 am 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/394364690335?ha ... R5yvm8G-YQ

Kinda pricey, but it seems parts for these old lathes aren't getting any cheaper...

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:47 am 

Thanks, Al, and thanks for the PM....

ricksplace, I found that one and sent the vendor a message to have him check the threads.... it's a last resort, that is exactly like mine....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:07 pm 

OK, so the panic is over, I have ordered two flanged Acme nuts, and I can machine the flange off and bore the quill to suit and then Loctite in the nut.... and I will have a backup, if the first one fails I can heat it up, pull it out, and put in the other one....

However, I think I will purchase another used quill if I can put a deal together on a good one, just in case....

Thanks to all who helped.... The response was overwhelming, and much appreciated.... 8)

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:51 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:00 am 

rsterne wrote:
OK, so the panic is over, I have ordered two flanged Acme nuts, and I can machine the flange off and bore the quill to suit and then Loctite in the nut.... and I will have a backup, if the first one fails I can heat it up, pull it out, and put in the other one....

However, I think I will purchase another used quill if I can put a deal together on a good one, just in case....

Thanks to all who helped.... The response was overwhelming, and much appreciated.... 8)

Bob

How is it that the fates have arranged it so that you can still use the piece of equipment to repair the piece of equipment? LOL

It never works out like that for me.

Good to hear that you are moving ahead.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:32 am 

Yes, thank heavens I have a boring bar that will do the job, and don't have to drill the quill.... :roll:

My Dad once told me that a lathe was the only "living" machine, because it could reproduce itself.... :shock: :D

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:39 pm 

rsterne wrote:
My Dad once told me that a lathe was the only "living" machine, because it could reproduce itself.... :shock: :D

Bob

That’s a great quote!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:28 pm 

Have you tried contacting a machinist?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:23 pm 

I repaired my lathe today.... Bored out the quill and inserted a new Acme threaded brass bushing with Loctite 638.... It turns out that the difficulty I had drilling those Metric bolts was partly the threads in the process of stripping.... The repaired lathe drilled them no problem, with HSS drill bits.... ::)

Bob