Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:39 am 

I don't know much about this new-to-me rifle, but am loving it so far. It has a 2X or 2.5X Weaver on it now. I also have spares in a Bushnell 4X with mil dots or a 3x9 plex reticle
that could go on. Since this is pretty much a short range hunting rifle, perhaps the straight 4X with mil dots would work best. Time will tell.
Twin tube, and think it's good for about 5 or 6 shots on a 200bar fill. I've shot this rifle, but a number of years ago, yet it is like new. When I shot it, it was cloverleafing 200gr. or 220gr. RN's
at 20 yards with the iron sights. I know I gave Gord (we made a trade) some .457" swaged round balls many years back and if he can find them, I'll try those out. I figure it will put out the same
power as the 1860 Army Revolver - a cap and ball affair that shot both round balls loose powder and ball, as well as issued paper ctgs. having 28gr. BP and a 220gr. RN slug. Pretty sure this rifle
will duplicate the revolver with both round ball and slug.
"Back in the day" these 1860 Army colts were used by soldiers for shooting buffalo from horseback while riding beside them. This was very dangerous "sport", but a necessity when needing to feed
a fort. They also used Walker Colt, model of 1847. The soldier who had one of those had: "6 buffalo in each gun". Buffalo are tough - VERY tough. I would never consider going after one with this rifle
however, I think a whitetail doe or young black bear might "work", as long as the range isn't too far, for round ball or slug. Which, depends on how the RB shoot. Round balls are way underestimated
in their actual killing power. Slugs will, of course, penetrate more deeply.
Rifle weight with small scope is 8 1/2# & feels like a rifle should.

Attachments:
IMG_3298.JPG
IMG_3298.JPG [ 402.66 KiB | Viewed 873 times ]
IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3299.JPG [ 385.8 KiB | Viewed 873 times ]
IMG_3297.JPG
IMG_3297.JPG [ 400.35 KiB | Viewed 873 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:20 am 
Site Moderator

Neat! You can be totally independent with this rifle. Cast your own ammo and fill your tank with the compressor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:28 pm 

I bet she's loud. What kind of FPE? Black bear? Young or not I'd want my sure shot buddy with a 870 beside me just in case.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:53 pm 

That's exactly what Gord and I did, many years ago, looking for a spring bear for him. The first one we pulled a sneak on, was about 10" long, between his eyes and the end
of his very brown an scared up nose. He was upset with us and we backed away. I was "backing" Gord up with my 12 gauge with rifled brl. with slugs. Second one we pulled
a sneak on was a young sow, I think. We only saw her cross the road. When we got to where she went into the ditch which was filled with willow & alder, she was out of sight
but maybe only 10 yards from us. We couldn't see her, but she was popping her teeth at us. The "popping' stopped, and nothing - then about 30 yards away we heard "WOOF".
She'd gone down the ditch away from us, then woofed and retreated into the bush. We saw no movement n the willows or young alder.That was exciting. I was expecting a
charge and was ready.
I don't think it will run over 200fpe as-is, but there might be some videos on increasing the power.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:26 pm 

very nice details, look the whole photo it is very similar to Seneca big bore lines

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:59 pm 

IIRC, the twin tubes gives it 500 cc capacity.
Under the Sam Yang header, all of the Seneca rifles are listed including this one, the twin tube .45 "Light Hunter".

https://www.airgundepot.com/samyang-air-rifles.html

"Home // BB & Pellet Guns // Air Rifles // Air Rifles By Brand // Sam Yang Air Rifles"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:11 pm 

Daryl wrote:
That's exactly what Gord and I did, many years ago, looking for a spring bear for him. The first one we pulled a sneak on, was about 10" long, between his eyes and the end
of his very brown an scared up nose. He was upset with us and we backed away. I was "backing" Gord up with my 12 gauge with rifled brl. with slugs. Second one we pulled
a sneak on was a young sow, I think. We only saw her cross the road. When we got to where she went into the ditch which was filled with willow & alder, she was out of sight
but maybe only 10 yards from us. We couldn't see her, but she was popping her teeth at us. The "popping' stopped, and nothing - then about 30 yards away we heard "WOOF".
She'd gone down the ditch away from us, then woofed and retreated into the bush. We saw no movement n the willows or young alder.That was exciting. I was expecting a
charge and was ready.

I don't think it will run over 200fpe as-is, but there might be some videos on increasing the power.

Trust me that would not been fun
Had that happen to me checking bait site a female bear with cubs came at me at a full on charge I drop her at 10 feet from me 12 ga with slugs
And then the most horrible feeling about her cubs that were up a tree at this time knowing they did not have a chance to live by them self
I just had to shoot them also and I still feel like crap every time I think about this even after this happen over 30 years ago

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:21 pm 

A sow with cubs is never the intent. We saw no cubs when she crossed the road - I merely said sow - could have been a young boar as well. We did see a sow with 3 cubs,
earlier. This was all on the North Road, North of PG. IIRC, we saw 1/2 dozen adult bears - might have been more. Only 2 times were we able to pull a stalk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:14 pm 

Nice rifle Daryl!
Has it been worked on at all?
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:28 pm 

No - no work that I know of. I got it trade from Gord. We're both happy, as far as I know. :D
Next time I see him, I hope to get the box of .457" RB's I had given him. One of these days, but likely not until spring, I will cast up some
200gr. RN bullets for it. I might change the mould to a flat point to maybe 225gr., then moly coat them.
Keep thinking of things to say. I have already in stock, 340gr. 400gr., 460gr. and 500gr. & 525gr. as well as a .457" RB mould, somewhere in the stash.
83 sets of mould blocks, now. Just got another, .515" x 377gr.FN from a custom mould maker in the States, for my .50/95 Winchester. Need to cast up some of those as well,
but they will be a harder alloy.