Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:25 pm 

Hi guys.
I wasthinking, with the new gun laws and restrictions, as much as I think that pcp airguns are great.
I am wondering if they are not getting to close to firearms and risk being banned.
Would companies be better developping better single shots like spingers, break barrel or under or sidelevers?
Finding ways to reduce barrel droop, scope damaging recoil, high prices, better triggers.........
Just being worried for the future of the sport.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:40 pm 

I'm not understanding what you mean by "getting" to close to firearms? Anything over 500fps is classified as a firearm and a PAL is required to purchase.

PCP's are available below 500fps as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:49 pm 

I don't think pcp pal rated guns are not hurting the sport in any way now replicas are a different story but that's just my opinion.........

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:19 pm 

The "power" of air rifles "approaching" firearms has nothing to do with the new regulations.
Indeed, the latest round of them C21 hits some guns sub500fps as well as air soft, I think. Not sure if THOSE parts of C21 was withdrawn or not.
Anybody know?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:00 am 

What I mean is the more they become like firearms in power, in caiber,in looks, the more liquely they are of being banned. Especialy that many look like assault weapons.
To the non imformed public, if it looks like an AR, then it is an AR. Those who do not know, do not care of what we like.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:45 am 

zazu45 wrote:
What I mean is the more they become like firearms in power, in caiber,in looks, the more liquely they are of being banned. Especialy that many look like assault weapons.
To the non imformed public, if it looks like an AR, then it is an AR. Those who do not know, do not care of what we like.

The higher powered PCP's look nothing like a PB. Most replicas are sub 500. Are there even any high powered ar ag replicas?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:13 am 

For the people who are not knowing about guns in general, ablack gun is most likely an assuault weapon or even a machinegun
I myself nearly got in trouble with my crosman 2240 because sombody told the police that I was using a submachinegun and got arrested for shootink a 357 mag. in my yard while I was shooting my crosman 38t revolver.
So what I said stands.
Fear the unimformed out there. Many consider a co2 gun as a very powerful gun since it is powered by"GAZ".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 am 

zazu45 wrote:
For the people who are not knowing about guns in general, ablack gun is most likely an assuault weapon or even a machinegun
There is some truth to this.
zazu45 wrote:
I myself nearly got in trouble with my crosman 2240 because sombody told the police that I was using a submachinegun and got arrested for shootink a 357 mag. in my yard while I was shooting my crosman 38t revolver.
Do you live in a residential area or a rural or sparsly populated area? I don't know of any residential area in Canada that allows for discharge on your lawn of an airgun pal rated or not. If you were not braeking any local regulation then I agree, would suck and I sympathize for having neighbors who overstep thier awareness. However, if you were indeed breaking local discharge laws it is you who is "killing the sport".
zazu45 wrote:
So what I said stands.
Fear the unimformed out there. Many consider a co2 gun as a very powerful gun since it is powered by"GAZ".
I am informed and I consider co2 powerful and capable of much harm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:54 pm 

I think what most people are doing here is responding as knowledgeable gun owners and users. I think the OP was more about the percepting of the uninformed public and lawmakers. I can see both sides, but until knowledgeable people are tasked with drafting the laws, we are somewhat at the mercy of the uninformed.

In recent years, replicas and the tactical look have become very popular; both of these things seem to cause fear for the uninformed. Since the uninformed are making the laws, maybe we are, unintentionally, prompting more control. I do not agree with what is going on in Canada and I am as frustrated as most with the direction we are headed. It is not just gun control either. Our government is heading Canada in a very dangerous direction and the uninformed or those informed by mainstream news are oblivious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:03 pm 

Here is the problem as I see it most of the non gun owner public view any gun as a threat air gun or powered guns
Thanks to the libs
How do we combat this? Do what we did in archery get kids involved and off the streets
Get them shooting air guns under supervision of adults
It will change a lot of minds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:00 pm 

I know from experience that alot of noninforemed people see a break barel pellet gun as not real guns.
Never mind that some of them are very fowerful, for some reason lots of people do not see them as a threat but more like toys.
Add a pistol grip, something at the end of the barel and paint it black (black gun syndrome) and voila you have a assaul rifle in the eyes of many.
As for the comment about co2 guns, most people believe that they are more powerful than the others since they are powered by "GAZ" insted of air.
I had an argument with a friend, a long time hunter, about a qb79 co2 rifle. He insisted that it must be at least as powerful as a 22lr with such a big tank. I tried to explain that the only differencewas in the shot count. BUt I was crazy and did not know a thing about guns and ballistics.
For the record, I an 62 and been reloading rifle and shotguns since I was 15 years old.
As for the replcas gun, I understand the law, I have one and you have to be very close to tell it is not a firearm.
Hope after all this we have something left to enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:28 pm 

I see where you are coming from now. Yeah, almost impossible to get the word out?

Talking about hunters, I met a few that have no use for semi auto and have mentioned no use in hunting.....LOL

Now with the new C-21 many hunting rifles could be banned. Now the hunters are squealing. :lol: :lol:

Bottom line, we need to be supportive of all gun choices or we may no longer have any guns. Period!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:07 am 

Exactly! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:41 am 

I don't think we are at a point of doom and gloom. I'm cautiously confident when the gov switches (whenever that may be) that there will be some role reversal. I don't think there is much we can do about the biased demographic that has absolute ignorance towards our shooting sports. I'm just going to be as respectful as I possible can and keep legally shooting.

Yeah, I have a few replicas and I'm quite impressed with the realism. Just cheap pot metal but still, pretty cool.

WoodWelder wrote:
talking about hunters, I met a few that have no use for semi auto and have mentioned no use in hunting.....LOL
For fowl semi seems ideal but for other forms I mostly agree. For ethical kills if you don't have the competance or the confidence to take down in one shot you shouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:15 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

WoodWelder wrote:
talking about hunters, I met a few that have no use for semi auto and have mentioned no use in hunting.....LOL
For fowl semi seems ideal but for other forms I mostly agree. For ethical kills if you don't have the competance or the confidence to take down in one shot you shouldn't.

You see, this is why more guns get removed has we as gun owners have a biased what others need or want to own. In the 70's AK-47 were fun. Before 2020 it was fun to shoot AR-15.

I agree that one good placed shot is all it takes but, are we really talking about ethical kills here?

We as gun owners are doing it to ourselves. I think our storage of firearms is a joke in Canada. As long as guns are "reasonably locked" that is okay; So, a locked pantry door with a hollow door that I can punch a hole thru is okay by Canadian standards?

If the RCMP has given me the okay to own restricted guns then I should be able to own whatever I want. Period. I don't lock mine behind a corrugated paper framed door. Mine are locked in a proper safe and the door where the safe is locked also.

In a few years when I may no longer be able to shoot, I'm going to turn into an angry old boot and lobby to ban all guns of all types. If I can't enjoy them no longer then no one else can either. Why, because I am the most sane person in the world. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next