Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:47 am 

This is sort of a loaded question. I'm sure everyone will have a different opinion, which everyone is entitled to.
A bit of background. I've hunted and shot firearms my whole life. I don't need a gun I can hunt with I have plenty. I'm in my late 40s I have 5 herniated disc's in my lumbar spine, 2 worn out shoulders and less than 50 degrees range of motion in either hip so while I enjoy shooting, putting 30 or 40 rounds down range with my .338 or 30.06 or even the 6.5 cm isn't that comfortable or enjoyable anymore.

I tend to spend way to much on things I enjoy. I currently have 3 newer snowmobiles in a $15k trailer sitting in my yard that I haven't touched this year, after spending $5k on maintenance and repair and trail passes last year I used them 2 days.

I feel an accurate air rifle or two would take up considerably less space and cost less and provide more enjoyment to me and my family.

I seem to be rambling.

I've been eyeing up the 9015s online. Are they worth the money? Are they really that much better than a gun that costs 1/4 of the price. I want a gun that if it doesn't hit where it's aimed it's the operators fault not the gun.

Hatsan AT44 .25
Daisy Avanti 753S, 2x Daisy 953 cadet
2x Tau7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:23 am 

Yes, all the highend target PCP's are all that. Far more accurate than most ever could be with the highest in manufacturing and design quality. In rifle I'm biased towards FWB but Anschutz are just as nice as are many other manufacturers. In that price point if I wasn't shooting FT or 10m I'd likely buy the Steyr. The hunting 5 is a repeater which not common in upper end PCPs and can still function as a fine paper puncher. In reality if I was in that market I'd likely "downgrade" to a FX crown/impact or something from Air Arms and get more calibre choices.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:41 pm 

I enjoy my Daystate Red Wolf in .177. At 18.5 fpe it's a little nicer shooting out to the 55 yd required of FT courses than the lower powered guns. Consider the distances you want to be plinking at vs the fpe output of the airgun you choose.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:07 pm 

Saw this on the classified that may be a nice fit, especially for young shooters and the price is not bad at all. Not sure if it is still available, but easy enough to find out.
topic91841.html

Then you can pick up and Anshutz, FWB or Steyr for yourself. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:24 pm 

rob g wrote:
I enjoy my Daystate Red Wolf in .177. At 18.5 fpe it's a little nicer shooting out to the 55 yd required of FT courses than the lower powered guns. Consider the distances you want to be plinking at vs the fpe output of the airgun you choose.

I'm not quite sure what I want. I can't seem to find any clubs within 3 or 4 hrs of me that do anything with airguns.

Hatsan AT44 .25
2x Tau7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:33 pm 

Mac wrote:
Saw this on the classified that may be a nice fit, especially for young shooters and the price is not bad at all. Not sure if it is still available, but easy enough to find out.
topic91841.html

Yep~ I love my CZ200 very much too~ not sure if the above one still there as the post is quite old...

The CZ200 is a very basic and simple entry PCP, not calling it high end for any means. But I like its simple and accurate enough (much better than me) design and quality~

https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... cts_id=210

Our forum store have the stock of the good looking laminated one. The same one that I bought~ :)ImageImage

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:44 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Mac wrote:
topic91841.html

Yep~ I love my CZ200 very much too~ not sure if the above one still there as the post is quite old...

The CZ200 is a very basic and simple entry PCP, not calling it high end for any means. But I like its simple and accurate enough (much better than me) design and quality~

https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/produc ... cts_id=210

Our forum store have the stock of the good looking laminated one. The same one that I bought~ :)ImageImage

Thats a nice looking rifle. I don't currently have a pcp rifle and don't know much about them yet. Besides the gun of course, what else is required. Do you need a compressor for a pcp rifle, or can you get away with a hand pump. I'm out in the sticks. There isn't anywhere locally I could get a scuba tank filled.

Hatsan AT44 .25
2x Tau7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:01 pm 

HW100TKFSB45 I see this model on the forum store as well, are they much of a rifle?

Hatsan AT44 .25
2x Tau7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:03 pm 

Mac wrote:
topic91841.html

The reason why I was thinking about an Anshutz was only because the Canadian distributor is about 2 hrs from me in Truro Nova Scotia.

Hatsan AT44 .25
2x Tau7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:46 pm 

How far are you intending to shoot? Offhand or just from the bench?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:56 pm 

The HW100 is a great rifle. You wouldn't be disappointed with it. The Anschutz, while a quality rifle, is usually powered for 10m shooting or may have a 12 fpe version suitable for field target. The HW100, in .177, is about 20 fpe.

A pcp rifle requires an air source. You will need a hand pump, compressor, air bottle or any combination of these. A hand pump is a good push. My HW pistol with a small tube requires about 50 pumps to fill. Most, but not all, scuba shops would be capable of filling a bottle to 4500 psi. Small, inexpensive compressors can have questionable reliability. Some people have good luck with them while others are replacing them in short order. A better quality compressor will start around $3-$4000 and go up. You may find a used scuba compressor if you're lucky.

A quality spring powered gun, I.e. TX200 or HW97, will put you in the 14-15 fpe neighborhood and requires minimal add-ons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:00 pm 

grantmac wrote:
How far are you intending to shoot? Offhand or just from the bench?

Seeing as I haven't yet found any local clubs thst shoot air rifles. I'll probably be open to anything. The yard at my house was the "public" rifle range for 30 years. Before all the houses in the village were bought by people from away there'd be 5 or 600 rounds fired here before deer season opened. We used to have a steel target at 465 yards I think it was 28 x 40 inches, which I could hit with open sights with a 308 browning Blr 4/5 times.
I was considering setting up a range at my hunting camp. I currently shoot centerfire there at 100 yards.
I wasn't thinking about going any bigger than .22 or .25 so figured 55 yards would likely be the max, unless I was being adventurous. Unless I see compelling reasons not to I'll likely stick with .177

Hatsan AT44 .25
2x Tau7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:06 pm 

I am shooting target papers only and in a gun club, I have no luxury to plink in my backyard with a high power PCP.
I don't want to ask you what money you would want to throw in the game since you have already asked for the "best PCP" that means you don't want to save on features.
The best advise is, start with a "what caliber" you want to shoot?
Short answer is, these calibres are common between target shooters .... I am not going to talk about hunting at all ...
- 22 cal slug for 100 meters
- 25 cal pellets for 100 meters
- 25 cal slugs for 150-250 meters
- 30 cal pellets for 100 meters
- 30 cal slugs some people claim a 400 meters, I think that would be a bit of a stretch.

Projectiles ... heavier is better, the most heaviest the best accurate and precise - usually.

From the list of high end PCP, I have two of them two different Brands, no comparison apple to apple, totally different animals each on its own.
What makes them kind of "unique"?
#1 FX Impact - you can swap the liners whatever caliber you want - .177 - .22 - .25 - .30 - .35 . Each calibre need its own magazine size-probe-and transfer port. The liners are widely available in several lengths like 500 - 600 - 700 - 800 mm length, and several different twist rates.
Pretty much a LEGO gun, the combination and money you can spend = the sky is a limit.
#2 Edgun Leshiy2 - semi auto... a fun part of it. And pretty much again swapping barrels in same calibres and lengths as the FX. A less fun part of it? Can become a real money pit :)
So to recap, these two as much you will spend on base gun, the accessorizing can cost you a double more if you cannot manage yourself...

Anybody have a question about these two platforms - feel free to ask me I have learned many tricks with these.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:11 pm 

rob g wrote:
The HW100 is a great rifle. You wouldn't be disappointed with it. The Anschutz, while a quality rifle, is usually powered for 10m shooting or may have a 12 fpe version suitable for field target. The HW100, in .177, is about 20 fpe.

A pcp rifle requires an air source. You will need a hand pump, compressor, air bottle or any combination of these. A hand pump is a good push. My HW pistol with a small tube requires about 50 pumps to fill. Most, but not all, scuba shops would be capable of filling a bottle to 4500 psi. Small, inexpensive compressors can have questionable reliability. Some people have good luck with them while others are replacing them in short order. A better quality compressor will start around $3-$4000 and go up. You may find a used scuba compressor if you're lucky.

A quality spring powered gun, I.e. TX200 or HW97, will put you in the 14-15 fpe neighborhood and requires minimal add-ons.

If I was going to buy a spring powered rifle I'd want an underlever or side lever, in my head I feel they should be more accurate than a break barrel. I don't really care for the twang of any of the cheaper spring air rifles I have used.
My son has a Ruger break barrel .177 it was supposed to be 12-1400 fps with pba. You could only get about 40 accurate shots out of it. Then every screw was loose, I'd go through and tighten everything up and use blue loctite he'd get another 40-50 shots. It jumped the crosshairs out of 2 scopes.
Having never fired one, I just assumed the pcp rifles didn't have those issues.

Hatsan AT44 .25
2x Tau7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm 

bigHUN wrote:
I am shooting target papers only and in a gun club, I have no luxury to plink in my backyard with a high power PCP.
I don't want to ask you what money you would want to throw in the game since you have already asked for the "best PCP" that means you don't want to save on features.
The best advise is, start with a "what caliber" you want to shoot?
Short answer is, these calibres are common between target shooters .... I am not going to talk about hunting at all ...
- 22 cal slug for 100 meters
- 25 cal pellets for 100 meters
- 25 cal slugs for 150-250 meters
- 30 cal pellets for 100 meters
- 30 cal slugs some people claim a 400 meters, I think that would be a bit of a stretch.

Projectiles ... heavier is better, the most heaviest the best accurate and precise - usually.

From the list of high end PCP, I have two of them two different Brands, no comparison apple to apple, totally different animals each on its own.
What makes them kind of "unique"?
#1 FX Impact - you can swap the liners whatever caliber you want - .177 - .22 - .25 - .30 - .35 . Each calibre need its own magazine size-probe-and transfer port. The liners are widely available in several lengths like 500 - 600 - 700 - 800 mm length, and several different twist rates.
Pretty much a LEGO gun, the combination and money you can spend = the sky is a limit.
#2 Edgun Leshiy2 - semi auto... a fun part of it. And pretty much again swapping barrels in same calibres and lengths as the FX. A less fun part of it? Can become a real money pit :)
So to recap, these two as much you will spend on base gun, the accessorizing can cost you a double more if you cannot manage yourself...

Anybody have a question about these two platforms - feel free to ask me I have learned many tricks with these.

Thanks for the reply.
I don't plan to hunt with air. I only need higher velocity for accuracy.
I'll see what information I can find on the FX
My problem is I usually over accessorize everything. Here on the east coast there seems to be limited interest in air rifles. Anything I'd get here would have to be mail order.

Hatsan AT44 .25
2x Tau7