Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:14 am 

I would need min. 30 grain and heavier each size, bulk buy.
I know ZAN, but wanna see first in Canada?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:39 pm 

JSB makes 33.95 knockout slugs, I’ve seen them at DL and other online retailers. I also believe H&N makes heavy slugs for both calibers

Diana Outlaw .177
Benjamin Marauder .177/.22/.25
Benjamin Armada .25
HW 80 .22
HW100KT .22

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:40 pm 

WesB- http://www.airgunarcheryfun.ca has slugs. Make sure you click Can. $$ on the upper right of the home page.
He has Neilson slugs in all calibers from .177 to .357.
33, 35 and 36gr. in .25 Neislon's - 34gr. H&N's 120 count.
Nothing over 27.5gr. in .22.
Are Javelin slugs available in Canada yet?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:59 pm 

With .22 I was shooting 50-70 meters so far, with .25 I was shooting 100 meter BR and my Impact MK2 sitting on a one-piece rest.
I just requested from my gun club to allow me shooting 200 meters. Not sure yet which calibre I would be using, I need to test it myself. Pretty much 35 grain is a bottom line and going up to heavier is a goal.
This what I would need amo for, wanna buy a larger batch before the season start to prepare the guns.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:21 pm 

Interesting. You asked to be allowed to shoot 200yards/meters?
WOW- at our in0-town club you could shoot to 200 meters any time you wanted. At out out of town club, you can shoot to 1,400 meters, any time you want - No restrictions.
I find it quite ridiculous you have to have permission to shoot at any range you want, from 100 yards to whatever range your club provides.
Can you order Javelins - ie: 40gr. in .22 cal. They are what Matt Duber uses in his long range monkey & Dassie rifle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:11 am 

Yes, this is a privately owned gun club with about 5-600 shareholders, and not a gun range where you pay the entry and when you done just leave. A lot of written in the books.
According to some rumours the long range shooters = beyond 100-200 meters - all using .22 heavy slugs.
I checked in Strelok the .22's (cross section density = heavy and long) are much less vulnerable to side wind effects.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:30 am 

I too am a little confused by the comment about asking permission.
If you are a full shareholder I can't understand the reason you would need to get permission to shoot an air rifle at any of the rifle ranges.
I could possibly understand if they didn't want members shooting something like 50 cal. if there was a possibility of damaging the butts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:11 am 

My best understanding is that the airguns are not defined in the SGClub books (insurance policy), and what shooting ranges can or cannot use.
Must be some education thingy... I am the only one that shoots PCP airguns from all of the members they have on the list. And why I am shooting airguns - well, that is a long talk about it :) but basically it is not cheaper neither when we look the big picture.
I have only two PCP's,
The .25 FX Impact MK2 is heavy internal modded, I was shooting 41gr at 1050 fps but probably can match the rimfire speeds, but honestly I did not try it.
The .22 Leshiy2 is also a real beast on its own.
And I made the barrels-liners interchangeable between these two, and got a decent number of combinations if I would want to play a mechanic. But that time is over, I like to shoot more lately :)
I was considering buying the new FX Pantera in .22, but I think my .25 MK2 performs at least that good for 100 meters so far I was shooting it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:22 pm 

The local gun club (2 ranges) that I've belonged to since 1979, is also a private club. We have just over 2,000 members, but also sell day cards ($20.00 I think). non members or people who have not purchased a day card and are using the range, are trespassing and are subject to such summary conviction charges under the criminal code. The signs t the gate reflect this. WE do not hire a full time range officer, however every director is one when present & has the full authority of this private club. WE also have the full support of the local RCMP as far as "backup". Every range has motion start cameras which data is live streamed to a number of directors. All have live access to this info.
We all go there, shoot and go home.
Everything up to but not including .5 browning can be fired at either range location. Of course, now the .5's are prohibited, along with some reasonably popular big & dangerous game hunting ctgs.
On any day, people will be shooting rimfire or air rifles on any of the ranges except for the handgun ranges. For them, CF or RF handguns only.
CF rifles only on the CF rifle ranges. Shotguns shooting shot, only on the trap range or on the patterning board. Shotguns shooting slugs only on the CF rifle ranges.
Our indoor range is compressed air, nitrogen or CO2 only. No one here has a helium rifle (yet).
Elongated bullets can be fired at in excess of the speed of sound, and accurately as well, however they are susceptible to the transonic speed idiosyncrasies just like RF and powder burning bullets.
They do not seem to have the instability with those speeds, that waisted pellets do & that is a big plus. If the gun can drive them, they can work at those speeds.
Many powder burning cast bullet match or BR shooters attempt to have the bullet not pass through the sound barrier on the way to the target. Hence, for the BR 200yard target, they attempt to push the bullets up around 1,400fps (or even higher) at the muzzle with sleeker shapes, to to remain super sonic all the way to the target. Unfortunately, these speeds are not possible (yet) with compressed air.