Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: JTS Airacuda .22 cal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:50 pm 

I just got back today from a road trip to pick up my first PCP from Wes.

All I can say is WOW! I thought you guys were exaggerating about the hitting power of these PCP's. This thing at Power 2 blew clean thru 3/4 inch particle/K-3 board. I will try 3/4 inch plywood another day.

First off, I sited the rifle in at 20M using JTS 18.1G pellets.
Freehand standing I could cover the group with a loony.
Standing supporting myself with a 2X4 I placed pellet on pellet.

On Power 1 the lowest, it sounded like a wet fart and if a garbage can would have been near, it likely would have landed inside the can? I'm wondering if using a 12G would have no problem hitting the target?

I never did turn it up to full Power 5 that will be another day as well. Will it go thru 2 sheets of 3/4 inch?

Very pleased with this rifle and have a long learning curve ahead. Check out the review on YouTube below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKmDDa_2IJw

Post subject: Re: JTS Airacuda .22 cal
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:29 pm 

Nice looking gun can't say i ever heard of one and 45 fpe is not to bad . Same power as my hunt master great for tree rats on the island .........

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:04 pm 

The video was with the .25 cal. I suspect the .22 would be between 35fpe and 40fpe. Cool rifle for the price. Amazing actually, & shoots slugs too.
FPE wise, it's running right with the Aselkon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:48 am 

My take away, you're a pretty good shot. Is the plywood for stopping the pellet or just something to hold the targets?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:14 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
My take away, you're a pretty good shot. Is the plywood for stopping the pellet or just something to hold the targets?

I was in an empty heated warehouse so no wind. I took a piece of 3/4 particle board and drew a circle and used it for a target thinking no damage. First shot no power on lowest setting (could be pellet was too heavy?) so turned it up to second lowest and blew clean thru and pellet stuck in the plywood wall behind.
I moved the wooden particle board target and used the concrete foundation wall as a back stop. I will be taking 2ply 3/4 inch plywood so 1-1/2 inch the next time and see what full power can do.

I have a cheap underlever .177 Umarex Browning springer I use for pigeon control.

My dad and brother were both big game hunters and often flew into areas where no roads were. I come by it naturally; I'm not a hunter but went on a few geese hunts and bagged many with a Remington shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:57 pm 

Anyone know what the lightest grain pellet in a .22 is?

The reason I ask, I had some Crosman pellets (given to me) in 14.3 hollow point, they worked great as well. In fact on low power setting the pellet never stuck but it hit the target and fell to the floor. The 18.1 lobbed in the air and never even hit the target. So I assume, a lighter pellet will work or do I need to adjust the hammer on the lowest setting?

This gun is not pellet picky from what I can tell but my groups are pellet on pellet with the JTS 18.1. This is second lowest setting. I did crank it to the most powerful and can really tell the power difference and the loud hit on the target. Surprisingly, I get a decent amount of shots per fill. I never kept track but it was over 100 shots shooting mid and high power. Tank still has 1,500 PSI, I assume its useless when it hits 1,000 PSI?

Anyways, enough playing around I need to pick up a chronograph and measure the data? Anyone have input on one to purchase?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:51 pm 

Standard light pellet for lead, is 14.3gr. Crossman & JSB, seems to me. There are lighter pellets, the alloy versions.
For longer than point blank range, the heavier pellets should be more accurate as well as giving better penetration
on any type of game.
My .22's, one springer and a Brocock PCP seem to favour the 15.89gr. Hades in .22.
The moderate vel. CO2/PCP is running about 18fpe and it likes the 14.34gr. Crossman HP, which it would not shoot with compressed air.
I can only assume in THAT rifle's barrel, the velocity of compressed air was too high for that pellet. It may or may not work with a JSB of
the same weight. Haven't tested that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:58 pm 

JSB has a 13.43 grain Diabolo (Exact Jumbo RS) that one of my .22 rifles seems to like... they are lighter and seem to be consistent like most JSBs. If you're looking for a lighter pellet you could try those... but as was mentioned above, not-so-great penetration at that weight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:23 am 

Okay, I did a bit more digging on the JTS PCP's. This quote is from the developer?

Quote:
Also the strangle adjuster is there to help flatten the curve because the gun is unregulated, with a regulated gun you can just turn the hammer strike down or up.

Both rifles are equipped with a hammer adjustment so, I'm not sure what that statement is all about?

I'm still trying to piece the knowledge together. The adjuster definitely turns the rifle from a lamb into a lion going from low to high power. I'm very pleased with my purchase, anyone looking for an inexpensive top quality PCP can't go wrong with this unit, built strong with zero plastic. Aircraft aluminum build is top notch materials and this rifle is built with it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:48 pm 

The Air Force rifles are non-regulated, but have a hammer spring tension adjuster as well. This allows you to adjust the amount of air used each shot,
which when turned low, will reduce velocity and increase shot count and when increased, will raise velocity and reduce shot count. What this does is
give you some adjustability. As you don't have a regulator or adjustable regulator, large velocity increases or decreases are not possible, however you
still have some modicum of adjustability, more so that other guns that are not adjustable in any way. (the amount of reduction or increase varies with guns.
What to look for, is a balance between power level and shot count. Maximum velocity is not so great when you only get 10 shots - or is it? Depends on
what you want.
Recently, playing with my Air Force Condor (glad I didn't sell it) I found at a setting that will give well over 900fps with normal 26gr. pellets, I still get over
100 shots at the same POI at 10 yards indoors. More testing when I can get outside and longer ranges, will show just how many I do get, at the same poi
out to, say - 50 yards.
Then too, slugs usually need more speed. Cranking the hammer tension up, will increase speed- perhaps to the point where slugs shoot well. That means much
better downrange accuracy, trajectory + reduced wind drift - all bonuses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:53 pm 

This is all starting to make sense. Once mastered then I can think of a moderated unit with a larger capacity tank.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:17 pm 

What a regulated gun does, is give a longer shot string with close velocities, more so than a non-regulated gun. The mfg'rs are getting better as setting them up, though, at any
given price point. By this, I mean the non-regulated guns with hammer spring tension adjustment, allows you to control the amount of air used, per shot by adjusting the amount of
force the hammer has, hitting the valve. The harder the valve is hit, the more air is released. Now, the transfer port, where the air then travels through, up to the base of the pellet
on some guns is also adjustable. If not, there is only so much air it can transfer to the pellet. Once you emit more air than can pass to hit the pellet, that extra air travels out the barrel
behind the pellet and is wasted air. Thus, you can adjust your rifle with the hammer spring to get the most efficiency out of your rifle's system. Bob Sterne is out go-to guy for this info
and it stellar in his work in this regard with a variety of rifles and systems he has played with in modifications.
He is currently building a dual tube bench rest air rifle - the whole kit and kaboodle, except for the barrels and tanks.