Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:05 pm 

I am a retiree from the tech sector. I have been retired for about five years and now have the time to play with some of my passions from years gone by. Three years ago, while cleaning out one of the buildings on our cottage land, my grandson found one of my old springers from the 70's and asked me if we could do some plinking with it. Sounded like a great idea until I realized the leather piston seal had dried up and was not repairable even after soaking in mineral oil.

Now I didn't want to discourage the grandson and he was leaving in a couple of days, so I wanted to come up with a quick piston seal solution. The only identifying model on the rifle was LG49 (made in Hungary). The compression chamber was measured to be 25 mm, which seems to be a common size. Thought about making a new leather seal but the weather was too nice, so I decided to take a ride into the local rural hardware store to see if we could find something that would work as a seal since I was not too concerned about ruining the old rifle.

After walking up and down isles I spotted polypropylene chair glides in different diameters, one being 25mm (1 inch) glides. These glides came with a nail imbedded in them for attaching to the bottom of a chair leg. I bought a pack of 8 for around $8, and we headed back to the cottage to see if we could make this work. To my surprise the glide was a snug fit, and the nail was easily removed by heating the nail and pulling it out of the softened material. Next was to drill a 3/4" hole in the centre, followed by a countersink for a screw to hold it on the front of the piston. Once this was completed, I put some Permatex High Performance Synthetic Grease with PTFE that I had at the cottage. Reassembled and the grandson put a can of 500 through a test. The unit worked fine and seemed very accurate.

Now after two summers of use I decided to take the rifle apart to inspect the chair glide seal for wear. To my surprise the seal looked almost new after passing about 4000 shots through it. I just thought I would pass this MacGyver move on to those that may find themselves in a similar situation.

I have been reading airgunforum over the winter for great tips as I restore some of my old air springers I found at the cottage and at my parent's place. One being a Webley Senior pistol.

Happy to be a member and look forward to the great conversations on air rifles. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:56 pm 

welcome to the forum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:53 pm 

Welcome. Very ingenious idea. Sometimes you just have to use what you have on hand.

Hatsan AT44 .25
Daisy Avanti 753S, 2x Daisy 953 cadet
2x Tau7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:18 pm 

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:08 pm 

Welcome to the site from southern Alberta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:45 pm 

Welcome to the forum, BioBob.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:05 am 

Welcome to the forum. The rediscovery of an old passion is a great thing and sharing with the grandkids makes it even better. I know as I have 11 of them! The first thing out of their mouths when exiting the car at my house is " Granddad can we shoot guns" of course the answer (unless weather is prohibiting) is always "YES".
As for the piston seal that was a great fix. I remember 45 years ago that I replaced a dried out and crumbling leather seal with an old thick belt. Worked for many more years as long as oiled about every tin of pellets.

Where abouts in "northern Ontario" are you located? Always looking for like minded retiree's.

Gamo Magnum .22
Beeman QB Chief .22
Beeman AR2079A HPA .177
Beeman P17
Umerex Colt Commander
Artemis M11 MK2 .22
FX Dreamline Classic .25
Hill EC-3000 compressor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:28 am 

Welcome BioBob, very well done, your experience from the tech sector have help you LOL, now you need more airgun to fiddle around so you dont get bored.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:18 pm 

Thanks for the welcome guys

I am located in Sudbury, but my cottage is 2.5 hours north on a great body of water with good fishing. We mainly fish walleye, but there is also plenty of small mouth bass and northern pike.

My son got me a 3D printer for Christmas and I use it to fabricate parts for my little projects. The other day I tried printing out a breech and parachute piston seal using TPU filament. Very impressed with the results. Love the fact that I can size the seals perfectly for old springers. I have since swapped out the temporary 'chair glide' seal in the LG429 for a printed version. So far so good, and I plan to take it apart after shooting a can of pellets to see how the seal is holding up.

I used synthetic Permatex grease on the spring, Silicon ceramic brake grease on the outside of the piston body, and a touch of silicon shock oil on the seal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:35 pm 

BioBob wrote:
Thanks for the welcome guys

I am located in Sudbury, but my cottage is 2.5 hours north on a great body of water with good fishing. We mainly fish walleye, but there is also plenty of small mouth bass and northern pike.

My son got me a 3D printer for Christmas and I use it to fabricate parts for my little projects. The other day I tried printing out a breech and parachute piston seal using TPU filament. Very impressed with the results. Love the fact that I can size the seals perfectly for old springers. I have since swapped out the temporary 'chair glide' seal in the LG429 for a printed version. So far so good, and I plan to take it apart after shooting a can of pellets to see how the seal is holding up.

I used synthetic Permatex grease on the spring, Silicon ceramic brake grease on the outside of the piston body, and a touch of silicon shock oil on the seal.

Sounds like you are pretty handy. Dukemeister a member on here does some 3d printing. He printed me a couple of muzzle brakes that are on the way in the mail.

Hatsan AT44 .25
Daisy Avanti 753S, 2x Daisy 953 cadet
2x Tau7