Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:12 pm 

When my brother and I were kids, we were very much interested in naval warfare of the 1600's through into the 1800's - the ships and mostly the cannons.
We build ship's sides, complete with gun port on ropes for raising and lowering, along with the gun carriage, on ropes as well, complete with cannons. They
were both 1/4" bore and we made a mould to cast shot slugs of that size. We bought powder from Don Points at the local hardware store - 78 cents for the
pound of Curtis and Harvey's 3FG. It lasted up quite a while. I think we only ever bought 2 pounds of it. Took 2 months of saving our allowances to buy the
powder. Dad helped us with the turning of the barrels, and boring them, on his little Optical Company Lathe. I still have and use that lathe for some ctg. work.
We used our ship's sides, with cannon on the rope controlled carriage. 1st was to raise the gun port door, then roll the "loaded" cannon up and muzzle out the
gun port. We would aim them at the river down below our property, at clumps of weeds floating down the Thames River, in Dorchester, Ontario. With a slow
match (saltpeter impregnated string) on a linstock, we would light the touch-hole and fire the cannons at the weeds. Now and then, we would hit them. I would
estimate the range at 150yds. today, now thinking back on that.
Kids and their toys. What those cannon actually amounted to, was match-fired very small (.25 cal) black powder pistols. LOL. We know today, that we were likely
running a 30 to 40gr. slug of lead out the muzzles at about 800fps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:01 pm 

Wow.
Our cannons were much more rudimentary launching tennis balls out of galvanized pipe powered by homemade gunpowder.
Later in university it was launching oranges out of barrels made from tin cans taped together and powered by alcohol - both as a propellant and as a limit to overthinking the potential that what you are holding could easily turn from a cannon into a pipe bomb.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:14 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
I drop my spent pellets into a solder pot, add a little silver and Tin, and use it to tin / pre-solder high end Litz type speaker wire.

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11 MK II*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*Daystate Revere*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*Reximex RPA*QB78D*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700SA*PP750*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:25 am 

Put mine in large coffee tins, usually about 2 full tins a year. Have a fisherman that makes sinkers and sells them along the shore. He used to drive to garages and ask for used wheel weights. He no longer does that as I supply him with enough lead. Says my lead is alot less toxic than wheel weights as mine he is only burning off some paper. CHEERS! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:08 pm 

A lot of crimp-on WW now are zinc. Some have a Z on them, while others are just visibly zinc.
I think still most of the stick-on WW for mag wheels are pure or almost pure lead.
I still have about 50 pounds of good 12/13 brinel WW alloys for my CF rifles.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:42 pm 

I use spent pellets for casting round balls for my black powder guns. It is nice soft lead - ideal for that purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:05 pm 

Avianmanor wrote:
I drop my spent pellets into a solder pot, add a little silver and Tin, and use it to tin / pre-solder high end Litz type speaker wire.

Now that is cool and original. Electronic solder alloys often list antimony as additive. I guess you don't need much pliability.

So much for RoHS then :wink: