Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman 157
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:10 am 

Have been sitting on this one for a while, finished putting the QB79 back together so figured I'd start in on it.

Tear down went pretty well, screw on the front site was being stubborn, but it came out.

Some might remember that I got started doing slow rust bluing a while back. One of the neat things about the process is that you don't "need" to strip the old bluing off. Another neat thing is that boiling/carding cycles can actually remove/convert red rust. Did three boil/carding cycles on the parts.

Barrel is in a bad way, has some huge rust pits in the bore and is even a little bent. It wasn't going to be a match pistol with the factory sites, but might look into replacing it if I can find a 9/16" barrel...maybe someone has a 14mm .177 QB barrel that needs a new home? Or I just make a breech as on my 150. :idea:

Will see how it goes I guess.

Al

Post subject: Re: Crosman 157
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:45 am 

You did a great job on this one. I think I may have an original barrel. I'll look today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:39 am 

Very nice looks great

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:04 am 

Looking great Al!!

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:35 am 

G.Ewen wrote:
You did a great job on this one. I think I may have an original barrel. I'll look today.

The one I have is .22.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:05 am 

Thanks guys. :)

At this point, I'm thinking that I want to keep it in .177, but thank you G Ewen.

Really only a minor problem to make a new receiver and use an old 1377 barrel, but I think it would be a learning experience (and thus more fun) to take on the machining to do a 14mm barrel. I do have one...but it means tearing down a good shooting QB that I use...and chopping up the barrel. :|

Might be time to get "creative" as well...many ways to remove the fur from a feline. ;)

The 150 thread if anyone is interested...rabbit hole hidden within. ;) It was in overall worse shape than this 157 is.

topic78243.html

Al

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:09 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Thanks guys. :)

At this point, I'm thinking that I want to keep it in .177, but thank you G Ewen.

Really only a minor problem to make a new receiver and use an old 1377 barrel, but I think it would be a learning experience (and thus more fun) to take on the machining to do a 14mm barrel. I do have one...but it means tearing down a good shooting QB that I use...and chopping up the barrel. :|

Might be time to get "creative" as well...many ways to remove the fur from a feline. ;)

The 150 thread if anyone is interested...rabbit hole hidden within. ;) It was in overall worse shape than this 157 is.

topic78243.html

Al

I can let you have a 177 barrel for this project.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:46 pm 

Will shoot you a pm and we can chat about it George. :)

Had enough for a while, but made some progress.

First rusting cycle is coming along;

Was digging around to find that 1377 barrel I thought I had...came across a chunk of .25 TOW liner, a shortened 2240 barrel and an orphan .177 18" barrel...hmm.... .25 8) :lol:

Started whittling on a piece of 4140...almost done;

Will need to turn down the muzzle end of the barrels to clear the tube cap. Front site is gonna be a bit of work. :rolleyes:

Also crossed my mind to try re-lining the original barrel...might have a go at that just for kicks.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:51 pm 

Wow, awesome work there Gippeto. Metal work takes skill and good tools, but the results are stunning.
I have to content myself with wood and plastic, at least they are more forgiving.
:drinkers:
I have a QB78 that needs some tweaking.. maybe I'll turn on it next.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:35 pm 

Rust blueing makes a lovely finish. You're doing great, Al.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:41 pm 

Sure does Daryl. I'm a huge fan of the process. 8)

First boil/conversion;

After carding with 0000 steel wool;

Won't bother posting more of the bluing process, it's just "lather, rinse repeat" until the color is where I want it.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:46 am 

Still plugging away on this when time allows. Bluing is coming along and most parts are done, but more to follow.

.25 top end is nearly complete...ready for cleanup and bluing soon as the front site and barrel machining for it are done. Already chambered and machined for transfer port.

Got the valve bits cleaned up. Crosman did a "great" job on that oring groove :rolleyes:

Deciding whether to keep the felt filter...it certainly did it's job! :shock:

Al

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:05 am 

Coming along. Grip frame stripped, mold lines smoothed and a couple coats of semi gloss lacquer. Grips were cleaned with a fine scotchbrite pad and a quick once over with Meguires Plastx.

G Ewen generously sent me a chunk of barrel which will be used to reproduce the original .177 barrel.

Al