Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:10 am 

If the same manufacturer, same model of an Nitro piston air rifle, but one is 490 fps and the other one is 1000 fps, using same .177 pellets (or .22 pellets)。。。

will the sound level more or less the same? or the 1000 fps rifle will be significantly louder?

If I shoot the 1000 fps nitro piston rifle in my concealed basement, how "loud" the sound will be? do I need to put on my ear muffler? will people outside hear it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:54 am 

There is a major difference in sound from 500 Fps to 1000 FPS. I have increased a nitro piston gun from 495 to 850, it went from a whisper to a bark. I always use hearing protection and eye protection, regardless of dba. The pitch of the bark will determine the sound level on the out side of your house, even thought the sound meter readings are the same at 1m offset.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:58 pm 

There's a huge difference in the sound as you move up in muzzle velocity. Much louder as you get near the 1,100 fps range; close to the speed of sound. You see videos on youtube where spring rifles start to sound like rimfires when they approach the speed of sound. Even with my multi-pump guns. There's a noticeable pop from 10 pumps versus 5 pumps.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:20 pm 

lawrence wrote:
If the same manufacturer, same model of an Nitro piston air rifle, but one is 490 fps and the other one is 1000 fps, using same .177 pellets (or .22 pellets)。。。

will the sound level more or less the same? or the 1000 fps rifle will be significantly louder?

If I shoot the 1000 fps nitro piston rifle in my concealed basement, how "loud" the sound will be? do I need to put on my ear muffler? will people outside hear it?

indoor basement or garage shooting, 5-15 yds, you don't need a pal rifle, suggest you stick with an under 500 fps. The noise level is a function of many variables, all things considered, a de tuned np rifle may be just as loud as its full power counterpart, but it could be quieter.

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:06 am 

Thank you gentlemen for answering. I'LL buy one each...:) :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:12 am 

lawrence wrote:
Thank you gentlemen for answering. I'LL buy one each...:) :D

8) 8) That solves that problem :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:50 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
lawrence wrote:

indoor basement or garage shooting, 5-15 yds, you don't need a pal rifle, suggest you stick with an under 500 fps. The noise level is a function of many variables, all things considered, a de tuned np rifle may be just as loud as its full power counterpart, but it could be quieter.

The 1266 fps rifle was VERY VERY LOUD when firing!!!! I dry fired once in my basement last night......consequence? The moment I fired I started hearing like 100 bees humming over me!!!!