Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 79G Seal Kit
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:17 am 

Where in Canada can I get a seal kit for a S&W 79G.

Logic, has nothing to do with it.

Post subject: Re: 79G Seal Kit
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:09 am 

Although I have never needed or bought a seal kit for that particular gun, I did find this e-bay store selling a kit for what i would call a fair price. Now you could argue that the store is not in Canada, but you can order from the comfort of your living room and have it delivered to your door by Canada Post, to me that's as good as buying from any on-line store so it wouldn't deter me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361507576950?h ... SwoudW4HMJ
Perhaps there are other places around, this was one of the first ones that came up though.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:38 pm 

Hi,
It seems that this company and
MAC 1 and JG Airguns don't ship to Canada.
This is my problem.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:04 pm 
Site Moderator

I resealed one last year. You can use a valve stem for a Crosman 1377/1322 for $2.44. The o-rings can be ordered from your local hydraulics shop. I think the sizes are 113, 012, 006, and a pair of 005.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:20 pm 

TCooper wrote:
I think the sizes are 113, 012, 006, and a pair of 005.

Now that's what I'd like to see more of. Seal kits are needed by pretty much all of us. If we end up ordering a seal kit it not only takes time to come but they are mostly overpriced. If we had a repository of the O-ring sizes for as many guns as possible it would be awesome. I volunteer to compile and archive such a thing, so if you have a list of O-rings for a particular model, send me a PM and I will begin and maintain such a repository for our Forum. I guess it would be a sticky in the Mods and Repair section. I think a link to a cloud document would be better than a long string of replies. What do the Forum Admins think about this?

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:28 am 

Dukemeister, I have at least 8 un-opened seal kits from new guns to measure to add to your list. You might regret volunteering for this role.

Brand, Gun, Caliber, location, material- colour, hardness, size# or metric size Cs, ID

This data base would be very helpful to a lot of members. In some cases I have found imperial sizes that are very close to metric sizes that I needed and substituted.

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:09 pm 

The above comments are right-on.
An inventory of o-rings would be quite a task but a welcome source.
All I really needed was the valve pin seal that had disintegrated.
I went ahead and made one out of a thick leather belt using circle punches.
I've done this before and it lasted 1 or 2 years, wanted the real thing this time.
Going to try this on my 160 and 180 and see how that goes.
Thanks for the comments,
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:55 pm 

My effort was a failure.
Did not hold pressure.
Now, what to do?
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:44 pm 

martinkranyak wrote:
Where in Canada can I get a seal kit for a S&W 79G.

I have never ordered from them, personally , but you could try R&R Airgun repair. They are in Manitoba.

https://randrairgunrepair.com/

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:08 am 
Site Moderator

martinkranyak wrote:
My effort was a failure.
Did not hold pressure.
Now, what to do?
Martin

Try a Crosman 1377/1322 valve stem. Crosman.ca usually has them for under $3. Currently out-of stock but they get shipments weekly.
https://crosman.ca/cen/760-145-stem-ass ... 2a011.html

Some of our members are able to make stems. Maybe post a wanted ad.

The 79G is a sweet pistol. I hope you get it shooting again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:40 pm 

Thank you Trooper for your advice.
I have ordered the parts for my two 79G's.
I'll probably get them after they restock their supply.
It would be a great feeling to get the 79G's working correctly again.
In my opinion they were the best sporting type pistol ever made.
Good velocity and very consistent.
Thanks again for your help.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:24 am 
Site Moderator

Here is a link to the adventure I had with an old Daisy 790 CO2 pistol (same as S&W 79G). After posting the story I changed out the hammer spring to a slightly more powerful spring that I salvaged. Velocity increased to just under 500fps when the adjustment screw was set to full power. This Daisy pistol still has the OEM valve stem. I also had a S&W 78G but the seal in the stem crumbled. On the S&W I substituted a Crosman 760-145 stem and it worked very well with velocity up around 440 fps.

topic86326.html?hilit=daisy%20790

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:34 am 
Site Moderator

Below is some further history on my Daisy 790. Sometimes the hammer springs can become fatigued and require changing. I used a spring from a dollarstore spray bottle. Prefect size and compression tension. Too bad these pistols were discontinued.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daisy Powerline 790 – Final Chapter

Summary

This Daisy 790 gave me good refresher training on CO2 pistols and I finally understand what was creating the inconsistencies with velocity and accuracy. There was no gremlin hiding inside the valve and the seals are fine. There is no extraordinary friction points and the barrel is in wonderful condition. I’m guess that the crown is actually better than when the pistol was new. The problem turned out to be the hammer spring and possibly the valve return spring. This hammer spring may not even be OEM but I have no way to find out. In hot outdoor temperature, the valve locked up until put in the shade to cool off. Even then, the pellet wouldn’t leave the barrel unless I fired a second blast of CO2. Finally, the pellet was leaving the barrel but velocity was under 300fps. After being returned to 23C indoor temperature, the velocity would fluctuate between 320 and 360 fps. The hammer spring was tired and unable to open the valve consistently throughout CO2 pressure changes that normally happen as a powerlet slowly empties.

This pistol started as a mess with leaking seals, seized hammer and a gouged barrel. I disassembled the pistol completely, cleaned it up, replaced the seals that were leaking and chopped approximately 5/16” off the barrel to remove the 3 gouges. Accuracy and velocity testing still indicated that there was some sort of problem. Velocity would increase and decrease each day. Then, as mentioned above, the pistol locked up in the heat. Finally I changed out the weak hammer spring with one I pulled out of a broken spray bottle (correct size). The valve spring was so stiff I couldn’t press the stem in with my finger tip. I knew this wasn’t a good balance for a CO2 valve. The valve return spring was changed to a mild strength spring that I cut from an old supply. With the velocity adjuster maxed out this pistol now barks! Velocity was clocked at 485-490 fps with 8.44gr pellets for about 35-38 shots per powerlet. Loud!

Final Results

Shot Count
Shots #1-5 = 478, 485, 485, 482, 482 fps
I noticed that the velocity adjuster screw was in the middle of the range so I adjusted it back to max
Shots #6-10 = 487, 489, 489, 487, 490 fps
I moved the adjuster screw all the way out (lowest power)
Shots #11-15 = 463, 464, 463, 462, 464 fps
15 minute break
Shots #16-20 = 447, 453, 466, 465, 467
Shots #21-40 = on targets
Shots #41-45 = 466, 470, 471, 476, 473 fps
15 minute break
Shots #46-50 = 470, 467, 469, 470, 465 fps
Shots #51-63 = 462, 457, 455, 452, 449, 444, 436, 433, 426, 419, 413, 404 fps

> The velocity sometimes starts a bit low for the first shot or two after a period of rest. This happens when the bulb is still relatively full and is likely due to a pressure increase from liquid turning to gas.
> Shots #11-63 were all at the lowest power setting on the adjuster.
> Shot count for the low power setting would be about 55 shots at approx 465 fps with 8.44gr pellet. The first 10 shots above were with med and high power settings.
> The velocity was slow to decrease at the end of the bulb. Previously I was seeing an 8-12 fps drop for each shot once they started dropping. The new springs help.

Accuracy
8.44gr JSB Exact (5-shots@ 10 metres)
.28, .20, .26, .22 --- Average = .23” ctc

> The 8.44gr JSB Exact was the favourite pellet prior to the fresh springs so this is what I used for the test groups.
> The test groups were shot at the 465 fps velocity setting (shots #21-40). This is a good setting with noticeably less bark than at 490fps.