Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:16 pm 

As far as side lever's go, one such as FWB 150's and 300's would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:25 pm 

If weihrauch produces a new model and we never see it in Canada or see a quantity of some insignificant amount does it matter? It’s quite sad how most of the Weihrauch models cannot be found in stock with retailers in this country. If I look at it with a positive attitude I guess it saves me a lot off money I would spend on Wehrauch’s.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:32 pm 

Covid effected more than health concerns. People bought air rifles, a lot of them, online. Getting new ones is still a problem for most stores.
When I bought my HW springers - every store that sold them, had them in stock.
Looking for one in particular?

Last edited by Daryl on Sun May 07, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:12 pm 

The HW 50 was Weihrauch's first post-war air rifle, made from 1951 or so until it was discontinued in 1998 or '99. Lots of variations over the years, but always characterized by the 30 mm outside diameter receiver tube, and threaded-on rear section. That basic design was lightly modified to become the HW 55 target rifle.

The current "HW 50" was born as the HW 99. The exterior dimensions of the receiver tube are identical (it will fit in an old HW 50 stock), and it shares the two-piece cocking linkage. But it used thinner tube walls to go from a 25 mm to 26 mm piston seal, and has a longer stroke, shorter transfer port, and the plugged-in trigger assembly. An ingenious re-design that saved production cost and got more power out of the same basic package.

In a move evidently designed to confuse collectors forever, LOL, Weihrauch changed the name from HW 99 to HW 50 in most markets, no doubt due to the general resemblance, and to honor the original design's long history in Germany. "HW 99" is still used in the UK and some other markets, though.

It's interesting to note that the HW 35 and original HW 50 have the same length receiver tube and mounting screw spacing. They shared a lot of parts and even some stock designs in the old days, the only significant change needed being revisied the inletting for the 35's larger diameter receiver tube. The photo shows a walnut HW 35L ("Luxus") from the late 1960's, and a contemporary deluxe beech stock made for the HW 50. The exterior shapes are identical.

Attachment:
IMG_8952.jpeg
IMG_8952.jpeg [ 59.94 KiB | Viewed 953 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_8953.jpeg
IMG_8953.jpeg [ 113.42 KiB | Viewed 953 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:40 am 

MDriskill wrote:
The HW 50 was Weihrauch's first post-war air rifle, made from 1951 or so until it was discontinued in 1998 or '99. Lots of variations over the years, but always characterized by the 30 mm outside diameter receiver tube, and threaded-on rear section. That basic design was lightly modified to become the HW 55 target rifle.

The current "HW 50" was born as the HW 99. The exterior dimensions of the receiver tube are identical (it will fit in an old HW 50 stock), and it shares the two-piece cocking linkage. But it used thinner tube walls to go from a 25 mm to 26 mm piston seal, and has a longer stroke, shorter transfer port, and the plugged-in trigger assembly. An ingenious re-design that saved production cost and got more power out of the same basic package.

In a move evidently designed to confuse collectors forever, LOL, Weihrauch changed the name from HW 99 to HW 50 in most markets, no doubt due to the general resemblance, and to honor the original design's long history in Germany. "HW 99" is still used in the UK and some other markets, though.

It's interesting to note that the HW 35 and original HW 50 have the same length receiver tube and mounting screw spacing. They shared a lot of parts and even some stock designs in the old days, the only significant change needed being revisied the inletting for the 35's larger diameter receiver tube. The photo shows a walnut HW 35L ("Luxus") from the late 1960's, and a contemporary deluxe beech stock made for the HW 50. The exterior shapes are identical.

Thanks for the information, and the history. I love learning about Weihrauch rifles. I have an HW50 that I bought new in 1996 and it is basically a scaled down version of the HW80. The biggest difference is the HW50 has the articulating cocking arm where is the HW80 has a one piece. But otherwise they are identical in design including that threaded end cap and both are absolutely built like tanks..

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:28 pm 

Built like tanks, is the thought I have with both my HW97's.
The HW98 I sold to a close friend (he needed something to keep critters other than birds, off his feeders) was of similar ilk.

Attachments:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 402.05 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]
HW 97s resized2.jpg
HW 97s resized2.jpg [ 428.44 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]