Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:50 am 

Hello all,

46 year old looking to buy an air rifle for back yard target shooting with the boys and keeping some pests at bay. I kind of narrowed it down to 3 guns in my price range. I do not have my PAL (yet)

Umarex Ruger 10/22 (Haven't read too many issues at all with this)

Umarex Fusion 2 (heard some issues with the magazine and tank leaks)

Crosman 1077

One that is out of my price range, but I like is the Gamo Speedster 10x G2

I'm keen on a multishift pellet gun for the ease of use, but I think I may be missing out on some inexpensive good rifles?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:10 pm 

Welcome to the forum - first step.

For an inexpensive air rifle, I would suggest a QB78. CO2 and quite quiet. Several of the fellows at the local range have them and like them, especially for indoor shooting.
They are easily modified later, after you get your P.A.L. for slightly more power, I think mid 600fps range which does not negatively effect their accuracy.
Seems to me, 55 to 100 shots on 2, 12gram CO2 containers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:21 pm 

Welcome, let us know where you are from. Of the 3 you have listed I would get the Fusion 2, I have the fusion 2 and the 1077. I had to do some filing on the breech to get the mag to fit correctly. I converted mine to HPA and use it more than any other gun. The Co2 will be slower on cold days as the pressure of CO2 is heat sensitive. The Fusion 2 can use a 88 gr CO2 cartridge which on a hot summer day will give you a couple hundred shots.

If you do not want to buy CO2 on a regular basses you can buy a detuned Stormrider in .177 or .22 and a hand pump. A non PAL .22 packs a lot more punch than a .177 for pests. Wes has some in stock https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/artemis-pr900w-multi-shot-22-pcp-air-rifle/ I think this the cheapest pump you can buy to fill the gun https://www.amazon.ca/Mophorn-Pressure-Convenient-Pre-Charged-Pneumatic/dp/B06XQ4RLNY/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=HIUG43TWB72G&keywords=pcp+hand+pump&qid=1682623038&sprefix=pcp+hand+pump%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&smid=A2EWGCZPTX9ERE&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFDUlZaM0g2ME5NS1MmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDEyNTUzVEQwVzFWRThCV0ZVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MDY5ODlYRU5HU0EwSkVOUUUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Have a great day
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:44 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Welcome to the forum - first step.

For an inexpensive air rifle, I would suggest a QB78. CO2 and quite quiet. Several of the fellows at the local range have them and like them, especially for indoor shooting.
They are easily modified later, after you get your P.A.L. for slightly more power, I think mid 600fps range which does not negatively effect their accuracy.
Seems to me, 55 to 100 shots on 2, 12gram CO2 containers.

Wes (airgunarcheryfun.ca) have NON-PAL rated QB 78/79 with AIR TANKS avaiable, which is not CO2 and I really like mine QB79(.22 cal,QB78 is .177), makes it the most in-expensive PCP and it comes with a Peep Sight usually cost a lot, as well as a very nice stock--actually I thought the stock is the best among all my rifles, even better than Artemis M16A. I use it shoot a small spoon at 30 yards all the time with the peep--while I can literally just see it at that range.

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:02 pm 

Wasn't aware of the QB79 - interesting for a first-go PCP & yes- .22 is much more powerful.
I thought all QB's were .177. Good that there is a 79 model.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:17 pm 

Thanks for the info. I’m in Ontario. With shipping it’s going to put me over budget…. BUT, I’m liking that rifle though for a second one down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:19 pm 

McRobert wrote:
Welcome, let us know where you are from. Of the 3 you have listed I would get the Fusion 2, I have the fusion 2 and the 1077. I had to do some filing on the breech to get the mag to fit correctly. I converted mine to HPA and use it more than any other gun. The Co2 will be slower on cold days as the pressure of CO2 is heat sensitive. The Fusion 2 can use a 88 gr CO2 cartridge which on a hot summer day will give you a couple hundred shots.

If you do not want to buy CO2 on a regular basses you can buy a detuned Stormrider in .177 or .22 and a hand pump. A non PAL .22 packs a lot more punch than a .177 for pests. Wes has some in stock https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/artemis-pr900w-multi-shot-22-pcp-air-rifle/ I think this the cheapest pump you can buy to fill the gun https://www.amazon.ca/Mophorn-Pressure-Convenient-Pre-Charged-Pneumatic/dp/B06XQ4RLNY/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=HIUG43TWB72G&keywords=pcp+hand+pump&qid=1682623038&sprefix=pcp+hand+pump%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&smid=A2EWGCZPTX9ERE&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFDUlZaM0g2ME5NS1MmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMDEyNTUzVEQwVzFWRThCV0ZVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MDY5ODlYRU5HU0EwSkVOUUUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Have a great day
Robert

Thanks. I actually read your conversion post. Not sure I’m ready to do all that. I was really disappointed about all the bad reviews for the fusion 2 because it really checked off all the boxes. Multi-shot, scope, bolt action, fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:12 pm 

Welcome to the CAF! You will find a wealth of knowledge and experience here, some of the members really know their stuff and are very generous with advice.

I agree with Daryl, I have a variant of the QB79 and as far as non-PAL airguns go, its a winner. Accurate and reliable, and upgradable should you end up with your PAL later on. My AR2078A did indeed come with excellent diopter sights, but I mounted a scope on mine. And as Atlas mentioned, the stock is beautiful. One of the nicest Ive seen for a rifle at that price. Before my upgrade, mine shot very close to the 500fps limit for non-PAL airguns so if you will be pesting with it, .22 is the way to go. Just my $0.02...

Good luck! And when your innocent new hobby becomes an all-consuming addiction, you now have kindred souls with whom to commiserate. Trust me. It will happen. Soon you will be buried under a pile of new tools, airguns, and threatening letters from your credit card company...

Last edited by Codswallop on Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:56 pm 

Isn't THAT the truth. Nothing we like better, than helping a kindred soul spend his grocery money.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:16 pm 

So I can get the Artemis PR900W Multi Shot .22 cal from a local shop

https://canadashootingsupply.ca/product ... n-edition/

But I’ll need to buy a pump as well which is another 159.00

This is adding up quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:49 pm 

CanuckShot wrote:

That's a good gun for a kid i had one way to small

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:23 am 

CanuckShot wrote:

No Artemis is mostly online only, unless you are in the same city can pickup... You can choose the $67 pump with that amazon link above and it will working fine. BTW shipping is about $30-40 usually

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:55 pm 

Canuck you need to up your post count so you can receive my PM. I think you need 5.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:40 am 

CanukShot Where are you located.

If you are on a budget local is important. Shipping costs can add up, and it's nice to be able to walk in to your dealer if you have issues.

Also check local bylaws. Here in Peterborough you can't shoot anything. Pellet, BB, Airsoft, Paintball, Bows.

If there is a gun you are interested in is out of stock, contact the dealer. They may be getting more in.

Also. 2 12g co2 will cost around $2. an 88g around $12. It's not advised to leave CO2 in you gun.

Entry level the QB78 22 cal $179 is good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:39 pm 

Depending on the size of your boys, perhaps an Artemis PP750? Needs a pump, but the magazines, not having to single load between shots, and a few minutes with a round file will allow the butt stock to be repositioned to multiple pulls.

I greatly prefer .22 as the pellets are much less fiddly. PP750 is non-PAL, FWIW. Mine does nicely out to 30 meters.

I mounted a UTG 3-9 AO Bugbuster which makes it handier for old, and bad eyes, as well as for kids.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22