Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:35 am 

I started this post over a month ago but have since removed a lot of observations, as I have shot the slugs through different mediums that I did not think was relevant to a discussion.

I brought home 5 new slugs weights in 25 cal from my last vacation, bringing my total to 7 weights in 25 Cal. I have only ever used the 33.94 gr pellets and I am including them in this review, The slugs are, fx 26gr, H&n 28 gr, New Jsb 33.49 MK II, H&n 36 gr Slug HP., ZAN 37 gr
NSA 38.9gr, Zan 41 g

I didn't include the 26 gr and the 28 gr as they both travel over the 1075 fps threshold and have given me poor accuracy in the past. I shot the slugs over the chrony in groups of 2 so the pressure drop would be spread more evenly over the sampling. I did plan to shoot more than 4 of each slug but the results were very close. Here is my chrony results for the 6 projectiles
Attachment:
slug pic.jpg
slug pic.jpg [ 213.93 KiB | Viewed 1510 times ]

I was very surprised that the pellet gave me the highest energy readings at the muzzle. They may have a natural tighter fit in the barrel or it may be obturation. I don't know if 3625 psi will expand the skirt of a pellet during dwell, but I do know I can crush a skirt in my fingers.

When I started out to go to the range it was a beautiful day, by the time I got there it was a wind storm. The wind gusts would move me and the gun as I was shooting, but I was able to get some good shots in. The Jsb 33.49gr skirted slugs hands down was the best performer 3/4" at 50m in the wind, followed by the Zan 41gr. The H&n 36 gr were the wurst in accuracy. When I look close at the slugs, I can see the finish on the H&n slug is the roughest. I did take another picture of a group of H&N slugs to ensure the original was the average and it was.

This is a pic of the slugs with the Fx 26gr on the left increasing in weight to the right.
Attachment:
Slugs crop.jpg
Slugs crop.jpg [ 170.3 KiB | Viewed 1510 times ]

All shooting was done with my BigMax X. I have since replaced the scope with a Vector 8-32X50 and will add though results once I get back out to the range.

Have a great day
Robert

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:18 am 

Thank you Robert~ this post and your observation is very informative~

And looks (from the shape and size) I can say all the slugs you tried are the same type? Just different in some details like finishing (the H&N is rough right?) and weight... I think their size are very close or just same for some?

So, the pellet is still working well in the new era high power PCPs... (if no special need, we can still save some money by using pellets not slug...) I agree the skirt on the pellet is a good thing~

Not sure if your range is capable for a longer place for you to test out to 100 meters? I heard the big difference between pellet and slug will be shown start from there...

Thanks again for the good write up~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:34 am 

My Range has 25, 50 100 and 200 m with about 80 lanes. I am able to park just in front of the lane and now use my new mini compressor from the back of the truck. The scope that I had on the gun at full power at the 100m range was terrible but I will be back with the Vector mounted.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:41 am 

Well~ So definitely you already geared up to shoot longer distance! [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 11:23 am 

Robert - pretty good numbers with that Kral. I am also surprised the FPE is higher with pellets.
Have you tried moly coating them? I've used MS Moly (out of production) as well as Lyman Moly bullet coating,
which is still on the market, I think. I bought my Lyman cans of moly from Wholesale Sports when they went out
of business here a few years ago.
At a low hammer spring tension, the Condor made 906fps with the 51gr. moly coated slugs for 93fpe, while at the
same hammer setting, the 33.95gr. JSB Jumbo pellets were producing 997av. for 74.95fpe.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:53 pm 

Robert?
Where is that your range East of Hamilton? I am across GTA up North on Hwy404 in L4G7X4, Im renting a share at SGC but I would gladly swap that bill for something more friendly ... also SGC is entirely powderburners oriented setup I am the only one shooting a "gascan" there.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 5:30 am 

Bighun, I answered your PM.