Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Have an Apple?
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:03 pm 

This is a classic vintage machine, designed by a fellow Pole himself, Steve Wozniak.

It's the classic Apple II, in my case the //e.

I have of course been after an Apple II for a while, but they've always appeared to be out of my price range, and for a large part that is still true. However I got lucky a little over a month ago, and found one tested to power on and display, but no further for a reasonable price, and I decided to risk it. My gamble paid off, it appeared to work as intended, and also passed the built-in self test.

I felt incomplete though, as I thought it looked weird not having the classic green phosphor apple monitor, so when I got more money the start of this month, I tracked one down on ebay for a reasonable price, and it came in today, in good condition, properly packed, and working as described.

I did have a bit of a learning curve where I originally thought something was wrong, (like the "delete" button not working as I am used to, and other things), but I found out through others that that's actually normal considering it's design. I do need to keep in mind, this is still based off of a design from '76 and first marketed in '77.

I'm very happy, and I am glad that by default it comes with standard 3.5mm audio input and output jacks for loading from and saving to cassette, no need for proprietary cables, or anything, just a standard 3.5mm audio cable. This has also made it very easy for me to load games and programs from my smartphone as well.

This looks gangsta!

Photo:

https://imgur.com/a/FVByQaE

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

Post subject: Re: Have an Apple?
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:56 am 

Very nice!
Some of us are old enough to remember using one when they first came on the market.
I had a Commodore PET*. 8K! The famous Commodore 64 came out later.
The company I worked for bought me a Commodore SX64. It was a portable about the size of a briefcase, had a 3.5" colour CRT screen and a built in 5 1/4" floppy. Wish I still had it.
*There were no spreadsheet programs for the PET, so I made a specific-dedicated application using nested for and next loops using Basic. I would enter new variables, push the go button then go have a cup of coffee. It took about 15 minutes to recalculate everything. We thought it was bullet fast.

Thanks for the memories.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:07 am 

ricksplace wrote:
I would enter new variables, push the go button then go have a cup of coffee. It took about 15 minutes to recalculate everything. We thought it was bullet fast.

Thanks for the memories.

This made me laugh out loud.....I remember the IBM compatible computers that had a default speed and with a Turbo Boost button. Top notch back in the day! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:03 am 

Remember they used the gamer's mechanical keyboards! [emoji38]

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:37 pm 

We bought an Apple IIe, in about 1984.

I recall typing the equivalent of "War & Peace" in code to "arrghhh!!! The application doesn't run.". LOL

OTOH, a friend (respected author and consultant on long range naval gunnery & forensics, who you've probably seen on TV) used his to recalculate the Royal Navy's gunnery tables. He showed me some of the calculation errors which had gone undetected because the RN hadn't had occasion to engage under those conditions.

My difficulties with the computers of those days was that there wasn't enough smart typing on the keyboard.

The Mac was a real move forward, IMO.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:16 pm 

The IIe clones were all the rage in the 80's; I remember they were being sold out of someone's basement... and they were around $1100. The early Apples were awesome, but they went through a renaissance in the late 90s and I got turned off.
Twiggy, you have a nice piece of history there! Awesome.

))))----//----------==

Iacio, ergo sum

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:08 pm 

I bought an Apple in about 1984. If my memory is correct I payed over $ 3500
what can one buy now for that amount :D