Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: 12ga
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:16 am 

I have a steel choked barrel for the Mossy M835, but have never fired it. I did buy a couple boxes of 3 1/2" shells for it with #2 steel shot, having fired none of them.
The rifled barrel sits on the gun. Nice to have a 12 bore rifle. It likes 1 ounce WW @ 1,750fps, or the Gualandi 496gr. DG Slug @ 1,610fps. 2" groups at 30yards, elbow rest
with either of those. I like full bore sized slugs and they do shoot quite well in the Mossberg.

Just remembered, I used to tell my riot squad boys, "if you don't have 2 to 3 empties in the air at the same time, you're not shooting quickly enough".

Our M870's had 20" bl.s and a 7 round magazine tube(with extension). On the course of fire, moving from barricade to barricade, constantly loading
and shooting: Pause - "how many rounds in your gun?" Answer "whatever" then "Prove it" & make him unload to prove how many. It was stressful
training, but fun - especially to watch the blunders, then more training to correct.
Model 12's are slick, that's for sure, but- I could not shoot one as fast as the 870 or Mossy. Back in the 70's I had a "Sears" JC Higgens with vent rib &
that was the first one I learned rapid fire with. It was a fairly skookum shotgun, weighing about 8 1/2 pounds. Timing is everything as the trigger must be
slapped AFTER the slide is locked. With the Model 12, you could hold the trigger back and just work the slide. I just couldn't hit as well when using the Winchester.
With the recoil, the slide comes back and gun recoils up, shoving the slide back, brings the gun down onto the target again and slap the trigger, work the slide
etc, etc.
With the O/U, SxS or Semi-Auto, the gun recoils up and you must pull it back down and re-align with the target, whatever it happens to be. The pump-gun is
actually faster - with proper training. Without training in speed shooting, is is quite slow. boom, chook---chook -- boom, chook---chook--boom. The speed saying
that, is what most non-trained people do with a pump when shooting quickly.

Last edited by Daryl on Fri May 19, 2023 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:21 am 

Daryl wrote:
The pump-gun is
actually faster - with proper training. Without training in speed shooting, is is quite slow. boom, chook---chook -- boom, chook---chook--boom. The speed saying
that, is what most non-trained people do with a pump when shooting quickly.

In my case is more like boom, chuck chuck, where's the second clay?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:23 am 

That happens when my timing is "out". Best not to have that happen with a bear in camp.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:39 pm 

This is a story told to me by family members about my Dad with his model 12, and my Uncle Harry with his model 97 before plugs to reduce shell capacity to 3 from 6 took place. Apparently Dad & My uncle got into a flock of geese and when the shooting was over could only find 11 geese. They then started asking who had missed a shot & both claimed a hit for every shot. After several minutes of heated discussions, Uncle Harry discovered he still had 1 shell in his gun, so I guess they were both correct - LOL!

Love the memories.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:30 pm 

Well that was FUN! I shot with two regulars who were super nice and helpful. I don't want say I was nervous but definitely excited. My goal was to shoot my new shotgun and nothing more. Missed the first two and on the third a solid hit. Oh man was I happy. Nice to get the first one out of the way. I was told by the regs I got better as the round went on. I don't know, seemed like I missed the easy ones and hit the harder ones. Maybe 12-15 out of 25? wasn't counting and it doesn't even matter. I didn't have enough time to pattern the shotgun before so I'm still at a bit of a loss where to aim. I'll correct that Sunday when I have more time. Yup, addicted already.

Erie-Eyes, I'm at the Stittsville range if you are looking for someone to break clays with. Grenville too but most my clay shooting will be at Stittsville. Really, wish I could shoot with the rest of everyone here. Just seems to be great memories.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:45 pm 

I shoulder & cheek the gun, look over the barrel with both eyes open. My right 'eye' is looking down the tube with beads forming a figure 8.
I hold the gun low on the centre of the house. When the bird erupts, swing after it & slap the trigger as the barrels touch it in passing - dust.
Never stop the swing. No matter the angle or distance, the lead will be correct.
Some have called it swing shooting, some pass shooting and even "blotting the bird". After adopting or adapting to this manner of "aiming", I started getting 25's.
Before, I tried to aim, use a constant lead, that sort of thing and missed a lot of birds - 5 or 6 out of 25.
Shooting passing (as I call it) also works on ducks, geese and grouse too. With the flintlock, I have to pass the "bird" by 10 to 12" before slapping the trigger, due to the
ignition timing of the gun. With a cap-lock muzzleloader, I shoot identically to a modern shotgun.
This is my .20 bore English gun.

Attachments:
AHunkeler20bore013_zps7b3285cd.jpg
AHunkeler20bore013_zps7b3285cd.jpg [ 57.99 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]
AHunkeler20bore010_zps3e135d41.jpg
AHunkeler20bore010_zps3e135d41.jpg [ 51.52 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:07 pm 

She's a beaut Daryl.

Thanks for the advice. I think I use the swing method but need a lot more practice, thousand if not more shots. Going to be a great journey.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:38 pm 

Good luck with it. This is my favourite rifle. It's a 14 bore (.69).
Made by my brother. The Rifle is held by my late hunting buddy Brad - about 16 or 17 years ago.
165gr. 2F and 482gr. Round ball. 1,550fps. Moose load. I use 100gr. 2F for target shooting.
Back in 1986 when Taylor built it, I shot several 1" to 1 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 meters with it.
Nowadays, I can barely keep them into 2" at that range.
BTW - .690" is the usual diameter of the muzzle of a full choked 12 bore shotgun. Full choke is 40 points (thou. of choke)
in a .730" bore = .690".

Attachments:
Brad.JPG
Brad.JPG [ 72.99 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:07 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Well that was FUN! I shot with two regulars who were super nice and helpful. I don't want say I was nervous but definitely excited. My goal was to shoot my new shotgun and nothing more. Missed the first two and on the third a solid hit. Oh man was I happy. Nice to get the first one out of the way. I was told by the regs I got better as the round went on. I don't know, seemed like I missed the easy ones and hit the harder ones. Maybe 12-15 out of 25? wasn't counting and it doesn't even matter. I didn't have enough time to pattern the shotgun before so I'm still at a bit of a loss where to aim. I'll correct that Sunday when I have more time. Yup, addicted already.

Erie-Eyes, I'm at the Stittsville range if you are looking for someone to break clays with. Grenville too but most my clay shooting will be at Stittsville. Really, wish I could shoot with the rest of everyone here. Just seems to be great memories.

jckstrthmghty - thanks for the invitation but I'll have to pass as my shotguns are currently back home with my brother and haven't been used for sometime. My focus in recent years has been my airguns and I'm going to Grenville tomorrow to join the guys for their monthly FT match. If you are free & interested you should come and join us - a lot of fun and a great bunch of guys. Cost is a reasonable $20.00 and if I remember correctly your first match is free.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:24 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

When I was coaching a 12-year-old (Big Brothers), after his first trap shoot he asked how he was doing. I told him that his next challenge was to stop looking surprised when he hit the clay, and look surprised when he didn't.

Nothing more satisfying than having a couple of idiots laughing when a kid misses the first one, then looking for a way out then he nails the next 15 in a row. LOL

Webley Viscount .177
Crossman 1377 Classic Pump .177
Diana Stormrider2 .22
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:48 pm 

Erie-Eyes wrote:
jckstrthmghty - thanks for the invitation but I'll have to pass as my shotguns are currently back home with my brother and haven't been used for sometime. My focus in recent years has been my airguns and I'm going to Grenville tomorrow to join the guys for their monthly FT match. If you are free & interested you should come and join us - a lot of fun and a great bunch of guys. Cost is a reasonable $20.00 and if I remember correctly your first match is free.

Bill
Not sure I can make it for the AM? Daughter has a freind over for a sleepover and I may be the designated parent to drive her home. 9am start? What is the actually pre meeting time? It's the parking lot down on the right from the main entrance? For sure I'll be there later in the afternoon. I was going to do some shotgun work and test out my new clay thrower. If I did show up what would I need to bring? May be a bit wet.

-Edit-

I've been given the green light to show up. If I can get out of bed I'll be there for 8am.