Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 12ga
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:23 pm 

I have a confession, I've never owned or even shot a shotgun. I can just see Daryl shaking his head at me in dissappointment. Well that over-sight has been corrected today. The saying is buy once cry once so I stayed away from budget options and I picked up to what is in my understanding the lowest priced quality OU for multi use clays, a Browning Citori CX. It's glorious. I'll be going out Friday to pattern and try a round of trap. I haven't been this excited about shooting in a long time. Going to be hard on the pocket keeping up with airgun and shotgun purchases. Wife doesn't even know. :lol:

Some obligatory pictures...

Attachments:
thumbnail_IMG_4045s.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4045s.jpg [ 399.31 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]
thumbnail_IMG_4044_S.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4044_S.jpg [ 370.68 KiB | Viewed 722 times ]

Post subject: Re: 12ga
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:32 pm 

Congratulations on your new toy. I see a fairly straight comb and raised rib - so a trap gun. Nice.
Browning make good guns, whether Belgium or Japanese. Time ago, I had a Citroi 12 bore 3" gun
for ducks and geese. Along came non-toxic shot and I sold it and never hunted another migratory
bird.
I do still have a slug gun with 24" rifled barrel, shoots very well indeed. Good bear medicine for camping.
It also has a 3 1/2" chambered 28" w/3 chokes.
The last time I shot trap was with Retired S/Sgt Sandy Fraser, now gone to his reward. WE used his
Superposed, Belgium trap gun. Nice!! It was so easy to hammer those birds - never let one get more than
10' from the house - powder. Loved it & Sandy. He was a good man.
Be proud and shoot well! Trap is addictive - skeet, even more so with a good open choked gun.
That gun looks like it might do for sporting clays as well!! :D

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:44 pm 

I'm a big fan of the over under shotguns, brings back memories of the days gone by hand loading trap in a concrete bunker in the ground. :D
Congrats, nice unit you got there! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:53 am 

WoodWelder wrote:
hand loading trap in a concrete bunker in the ground.

My first job where I got paid in money (vs room and board) was sitting in one of those concrete bunkers hand loading clay pigeons onto that weaving, bucking, thrower. Muscling cases around without stopping and staying out of the way of the swinging arm.
I think most health and safety officers would faint if they saw that today - especially when the employee is 13 years old.
I only ever shot trap a few times but spent hundreds of hours loading.

Great looking gun! Enjoy it.
Rob27

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:08 am 

Very nice, glad you got this corrected.

I got a silver pigeon and it's indeed much nicer to shot skeet with an over and under than a semi auto. Might be something to do with the weight distribution.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:27 pm 

I don't see much difference shooting O/U's than a good pump gun, weight wise. I actually find the pump gun (Rem. 870 or Mossy 835) faster
shooting the second shot, than a semi-auto or O/U. 2 shots sounding like one big one. That takes practice, btw and must be learned, but not
forgotten - takes only a few shots to get the timing back.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:33 pm 

Rob - I think a lot of us used to load pigeons in the trap house.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:42 pm 

Rob27 wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:

I think most health and safety officers would faint if they saw that today - especially when the employee is 13 years old.

I think they would freak out over many things that used to be perfectly acceptable for 13 years old :wink:

Jckstrthmghty,

Congratulation! I think made the right choice by buying a "nice" gun and be done with it.
- But there is one caveat to that, eventually you'll want something for chasing birds... and might want something different for chasing hares... then some range-buddy will get you to play some action-games... and you'll want all your guns to be "nice" :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:56 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I don't see much difference shooting O/U's than a good pump gun, weight wise. I actually find the pump gun (Rem. 870 or Mossy 835) faster
shooting the second shot, than a semi-auto or O/U. 2 shots sounding like one big one. That takes practice, btw and must be learned, but not

Definitely some getting use to after shooting O/U and switching to a much lighter semi. I always admire people shooting skeet with pumpers and getting better scores than I do with semi or O/U lol

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:47 pm 

Rob27 wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:
hand loading trap in a concrete bunker in the ground.

My first job where I got paid in money (vs room and board) was sitting in one of those concrete bunkers hand loading clay pigeons onto that weaving, bucking, thrower. Muscling cases around without stopping and staying out of the way of the swinging arm.
I only ever shot trap a few times but spent hundreds of hours loading.

Great looking gun! Enjoy it.
Rob27

That was my first job as well. I remember going thru the boxes and discarding the ones with hairline cracks. Miss one with a hairline crack and it smashed on the side of the wall and got pelted with shrapnel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The boys were good to us kids though, we got foam earplugs and goggles......Never wore the goggles couldn't see thru the sweat burning the eyes. OHS would lose it for sure! I shot trap a few years ago and everything is automated now. The younger shooters were amazed/disbelief by my hand loading days.

Life was so simple back then.....Those were good times! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:56 pm 

Indeed, they seem to have been. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:32 pm 

Love those Browning Citori, I have a soft spot for those as a good fiend used to lend me a 20g to go grouse hunting when the old boys in deer camp went for the noon lay down.
It sounds like I got conned when I was 13-14, I didn't get paid for loading trap it was just cool to hang out with my older brother and they did let me shoot a round or two.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:49 pm 

Thanks guys, I love reading all these stories.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:15 am 

I didn't realize it years ago but for lots of folks, the anecdotal stories make a thread and are quite interesting, in that many of us share those experiences.
Brings back memories long forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:30 am 

Daryl wrote:

I agree Daryl but my preference was the old Win. model 12. We still have my dad"s gun with a nickel steel barrel and it was, and is still smoother & faster than my Rem 870. Sadly, because of steel shot they don"t get used much anymore - maybe I need to try trap again - had some good memories shooting against dad when I was a young buck - LOL!

Bill