Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:53 pm 

What's your experience with alloy pellets?
Do they tend to jam more?
Can they damage the rifling?
They're certainly more expensive, but I'd like to avoid handling lead if possible.
What is a good brand?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:23 pm 

xmillionn4 wrote:
What's your experience with alloy pellets?
Do they tend to jam more?
Can they damage the rifling?
They're certainly more expensive, but I'd like to avoid handling lead if possible.
What is a good brand?

Well to put it bluntly there all crap i am sure some will say they work great in there gun sure they do .. Waste of time and money

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:27 pm 

I have never shot any alloy pellets, thanks for the run-down, lauchlin. Saves me an order.
I've been handling lead, casting slugs for my cannon as well holding .177 pellets in my mouth when I was a kid of 8 years old, even swallowed some(pellets, not cannon fodder). I still cast bullets and load them in CF rifle & handgun ammo, load shotguns, modern and muzzleloading with lead shot as well as casting and loading muzzleloading round balls & casting pure lead bullets for my .25 calibre Condor.
Lead has not hurt me - yet. I'm 73 yrs. old on Monday, maybe it will, some day, though, but I'm past worrying about it?
If you are that sensitive to handling lead, perhaps you could wear rubber or latex gloves?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:42 pm 

I used some alloy pellets before with my replicas and lower power guns.

However couldn't say they are not accurate (I didn't know about what's called accuracy before I got my HW30s and put pellets on pellets into the same hole from 10 yards away)... I loved their penetrating power and light weight (so faster speed) on a 300ish replicas... And I can say I never able to put two alloy pellet into the same hole like what I did with the (good quality) lead pellets...

(You know you need to do pellet testing to find what your gun like to shoot... I don't think there's a gun like alloy pellet more than other pellets if it has the options... [emoji38] )

It's the fact that after going through a soup can, you might still able to re use that alloy pellet again (as it didn't deformed)... So it's hard material than the soft lead... So I doubt the rifling can spin it as well as the lead pellets when it going through the barrel...

However, it's just some alloy not steel, of course not that high hardness barrel steel, So I don't afraid they could damage the rifling or barrel.... As you know dripping water drops can go through a rock... I am sure it will speed up the process of wearing your rifling... But not in one or two years for sure~ :)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:48 pm 

Oh...forgot the jamming...

Want to ask a question first... What gun(s) you are going to try the alloy pellets on? Did that gun jam before and in what scenario?

Actually usually good quality pellets seldom just jam... There's something happened THEN jammed...

So far myself found the Crosman Super Pointed 177 pellet has the chance to jam just because it's a bit over sized... You can feel it's much tighter than others when you load it...

Then... Double load by accident sometimes could cause jamming too... Especially on the multi shot (PCP) guns... [emoji38]

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:54 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Oh...forgot the jamming...

Want to ask a question first... What gun(s) you are going to try the alloy pellets on? Did that gun jam before and in what scenario?

Actually usually good quality pellets seldom just jam... There's something happened THEN jammed...

So far myself found the Crosman Super Pointed 177 pellet has the chance to jam just because it's a bit over sized... You can feel it's much tighter than others when you load it...

Then... Double load by accident sometimes could cause jamming too... Especially on the multi shot (PCP) guns... [emoji38]

Please don't forget there crap and never reuse pellets bad advise .....

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:01 pm 

lauchlin wrote:
Please don't forget there crap and never reuse pellets bad advise .....

LOL~ Just saying~ at least I won't do that~ [emoji38]

Sorry if it did mis-lead someone to try to reuse the pellet....

And I found an old picture, with the good HW40 barrel actually the rifling cut the pellet very well~ Image

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:37 pm 

used rws pellets a while back never had a problem wit em i used light weight ones and they whistled when you shot em was kinda cool

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:14 am 

I got some cans of alloy, from different brands as well as some copper Magnum how ever I only use them for testing now but not actually shoot with those. The accuracy is acceptable and spread are not bad as well how ever they are very hard.
I am reusing some pellets --in basement of 9yards you don't need to worrying too much for accuracy, as long as the pellets not deformed or damaged, usually 20-30% chance to find one with 495fps and backstop is stack of news paper. However I noticed that alloy and copper Magnum can re-use many many times (lead mostly can only reuse once) so I did research and found out that alloy does wearing the rifling a lot compared to lead pellets but if you are not plan to renew/rebuild your rifle after the powerplant gone(springer/gas ram about 10-20k rounds but PCPs may get infinite if you know how to change/maintain seals and ports)you're ok to use them--overall the cheap springers can be replaced.
But if you have a nice ones can pass to next generations, I will say keep away from it as you want to have your gun work as long as possible

Finally get my PAL after 1 year waiting

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:19 am 

Compare to lead, the alloy pellets are really very hard... Or say, the lead pellets are very soft...

Recently I just finished a tin of JSB Exact 22 and at the last hundred rounds something I noticed something wrong with the accuracy then checked the pellet... About 1/5 of them had the skirts damaged less or more... :( too thin the skirt and too soft the lead...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:47 am 

Daryl wrote:
I have never shot any alloy pellets, thanks for the run-down, lauchlin. Saves me an order.
I've been handling lead, casting slugs for my cannon as well holding .177 pellets in my mouth when I was a kid of 8 years old, even swallowed some(pellets, not cannon fodder). I still cast bullets and load them in CF rifle & handgun ammo, load shotguns, modern and muzzleloading with lead shot as well as casting and loading muzzleloading round balls & casting pure lead bullets for my .25 calibre Condor.
Lead has not hurt me - yet. I'm 73 yrs. old on Monday, maybe it will, some day, though, but I'm past worrying about it?
If you are that sensitive to handling lead, perhaps you could wear rubber or latex gloves?

Lol@Daryl :D

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:29 am 

I was watching Andy's Airgun Review talking about a lead ban for pellets.
I haven't tried alloy pellets but I think I will just to see for myself how bad they are.
Maybe I will be surprised.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:04 am 

Here's another post on these crap pellets topic85757.html

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:00 pm 

Oh my~ These two threads are SO similar!!

Is a copy and paste? But 2 years between these two threads..... :eek:

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:04 pm 
Site Moderator

80Indy wrote:
I was watching Andy's Airgun Review talking about a lead ban for pellets.
I haven't tried alloy pellets but I think I will just to see for myself how bad they are.
Maybe I will be surprised.

I just watched that video. Not good for airgunners. It sounds like the Brits plan to eventually allow lead ammo to be used only at authorized shooting ranges. Hopefully our gov't doesn't follow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_504tjKsFTM

We have already seen a ban on lead shot and wheel weights. I’m guessing fishing jig heads and sinkers will be soon. What’s next?