Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:02 pm 

hi
i used to shoot bb's back in the 80's, with just an old pump action rifle, but took a flyer a few weeks ago and bought a crossman vigilante, and have rediscovered my enjoyment. But so much has changed, I'm really hoping I can get some help and advice, as I want to get some more guns (I'm digging the replica guns, I especially like the broomhandle mauser)

Is bill c-21 screwing things up? I'm in Alberta so its not a priority for the UCP, but.....
I don't have a PAL. Is it necessary to get into guns over 500 fps to really get range and accuracy?
Is PNP the way to go? It seems much more money, and I don't think my shop compresor can be used fill the gun?

Trying to feel my way back into this, and finding the best places to buy guns and ammo, etc.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:09 pm 

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:17 pm 

Welcome to the forum from another Albertan.

PCP's are more accurate if you have the trigger control. In addition PCP's have no recoil and can be purchased under 500 fps. You are correct, your shop compressor will not fill a PCP so a hand pump or compressor needs to be purchased to go along with it. Nothing wrong with an airgun that shoots less than 500 fps; I can rid pests with one no problem.

I own three springers and two PCP's. Some over and under the 500 fps. They are all a lot of fun and are cheap to shoot. You really need to decide for yourself what is best.

The folks on this forum are fantastic and are more than willing to help you spend your money. They encouraged me to enter the PCP and I have no regrets in doing so. :lol: :lol:
:drinkers:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:55 pm 

Hi

I am also a non pal target shooter.
Definitely agree with the PCP route and preferably .22 as it handle the elements , wind, much better at the sub 500fps. I can manage with ease 40 - 50 yards.
With my break barrel , springer .177 comfortable with 30 - 40 yards little to no wind.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:30 pm 

thanks everyone

PNP seems expensove, no? You need a compressor.....which isn't cheap

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:50 pm 

gwng8 wrote:
thanks everyone

PNP seems expensove, no? You need a compressor.....which isn't cheap
[emoji38] So far I am still using my handpump to handpumping... So I keep this part much lower than my guns now...

However a compressor is on the calendar sooner or later... Maybe very soon.... 200+ strokes to top up my 'mini' 300cc bottle is very hard... A very good way to exercise tho....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:43 am 

I am also using a handpump....good exercise.....gets that heart pumping :lol: