Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Bore waxing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:25 pm 

What is your experience with bore waxing to reduce leading, improve accuracy, what have you?

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

Post subject: Re: Bore waxing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:21 am 

I haven't "waxed" the bore or pellets for air rifles, but moly coating bullets or pellets will definitely reduce or eliminate leading.
It also coats (somewhat), the bore with moly, a VERY thin coating, that goes towards accuracy (in many barrels)
as well as reducing or eliminating fouling.
I got started in waxing .17 cal CF high velocity bullets which worked well, even with Lee's wax case lube in the tube, then went the moly
route with even better results. I have also moly (MS Moly as well as Lyman's Moly Bullet spray) coated bullets for the Condor, but haven't
coated pellets with it - yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:22 am 

When I was shooting higher power (19.5 ft/lb) out of my USFT and ld/SS I use to wash and wax the Crosman 10.5 gr. Premier pellets with Krytech wax, used mostly for bicycle chains. I only waxed the edges of the pellet where it would make contact with the barrel. I did this by rolling the pellets on a paper towel that I had thinly coated with wax. The wax dries up nicely, but liquifies under the pressure and temperature created when fired. This gave a thin coat to the barrel, reduced leading, increased velocity and gave a little more accuracy.

Once I switched over to JSB pellets at sub 12 ft/lb, that process added nothing so I stopped doing it.

If I ever start shooting higher power again, I may revisit this process.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:26 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I haven't "waxed" the bore or pellets for air rifles, but moly coating bullets or pellets will definitely reduce or eliminate leading.
It also coats (somewhat), the bore with moly, a VERY thin coating, that goes towards accuracy (in many barrels)
as well as reducing or eliminating fouling.
I got started in waxing .17 cal CF high velocity bullets which worked well, even with Lee's wax case lube in the tube, then went the moly
route with even better results. I have also moly (MS Moly as well as Lyman's Moly Bullet spray) coated bullets for the Condor, but haven't
coated pellets with it - yet.

I recall discussions about moly-coating bullets, back in the day, but don't recall any definite conclusions. I'm retired so have time to play. I'll do some experiments with wax, then see how they go with moly.

I do recall much woo regarding "magic moly" claims regarding engine and driveline applications, but the fact that I haven't seen independent evaluations in support caused me to discount the claims.

How did you apply the moly to the bore?

One observation was that the narrow bands of pellet contact may make wax/moly applied to those areas less effective than when wax/moly are applied to the bore. IDK.

Webley Viscount .177
Kral Mega Marine Walnut .22
Artemis PP750 .22
FX Streamline .22 walnut
FX Streamline .22 composite
FX Dynamic 500 .22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:21 pm 

The moly is applied to the bullets and pellets with a spray can. The pellets or bullets are standing on a sheet of paper. Spray all around them.
I do not apply moly to the bores, except on the bullets.
Waxing with Lee case lube, or Woodchuck Den's bullet wax was done on a sheet of cloth, rolling them on it or a new lube pad (cloth tight over tight sheet felt in the centre) would be better.