Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:21 pm 

Hi Folks,

I disassembled my 2289, filled the bleeder hole on the back of the valve casing (1322A06). I used some flux and solder to do the job. After that, I checked, and it all seemed to work ok (the plunger still plunged, etc). I reassembled the gun, and it fired an empty shot ok. Then I fired a pellet, and it was a lot less powerful that before the mod. My next shot, the thing didn't even fire! So I disassembled the gun again, and noticed that the plunger (1322A011) seemed stuck. I took the whole valve assembly apart, and noticed that it still contained compressed air. I put it back together and it worked ok for the first shot. Second shot again was crap. What have I done???

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:42 pm 

save some greife and order a new valve from the 1377 or 1322 pistol and you will have no problems and no bleeder hole to worry about either..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:02 pm 
Site Moderator

Rouf - It sounds like the hammer spring is not able to generate enough power to open the valve. Have a look at the spring. Also, maybe apply some lube to the hammer in case it is binding on dry metal.

Airsmith - The 1377 and 1322 that I tested were detuned and likely had the bleeder holes in the valves. Other shooters have also mentioned the bleeder holes in these Crosman pistol valves. A full power 1377 will easily break 500fps with 7.9gr pellets. They are detuned to under 450fps with this pellet weight (10 pumps). The one that I tested did 415fps with 7.9gr pellet.
The detuned 1322 that I tested did 382fps with 14.3gr at 10 pumps. A full power 1322 should do around 440-450fps with 14.3gr pellets.

I guess it's possible for mistakes to happen and full power models getting into Canada but I don't think it's a plan from Crosman. Did you find some full power 1377 pistols to sell? :D

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:41 pm 

no i haven't found any fullpower models per say but the only detune in the newer model 1377 is only the trasfer port, the valve is a fullpower valve just order the valve for 1377 part number 1322B013 this is a full power valve then a 2240 trasfer port it has the larger hole, the 1377 newer models have a tiny air hole in the transfer port and the 2289 maybe also using this one so and up grade of the 2 is best...the transferport number is 1322A026

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:06 pm 
Site Moderator

It appears as though Crosman is changing tricks to detune these airguns. The valve bleed hole was popular for a while but I guess they moved to the transfer port on the pistols. Thanks for the info.

About a dozen years ago I was with a friend who was checking velocity on an older Cr1322 with the sliding breech. Velocity was in the 440fps range with 14.3gr. The pistol was not detuned at all. The owner was not a tinkerer so it was likely not untuned... but then I'm not sure if he brought across from the USA in a suitecase :D

Rather than order a new transfer port seal, wouldn't it be easier to use a short piece of poly tubing? If rouf fixed the bleed hole in the valve then it should be fine. I'm just trying to save him from buying parts he doesn't need. :D

Todd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:09 pm 

rouf wrote:
Hi Folks,

I disassembled my 2289, filled the bleeder hole on the back of the valve casing (1322A06). I used some flux and solder to do the job. After that, I checked, and it all seemed to work ok (the plunger still plunged, etc). I reassembled the gun, and it fired an empty shot ok. Then I fired a pellet, and it was a lot less powerful that before the mod. My next shot, the thing didn't even fire! So I disassembled the gun again, and noticed that the plunger (1322A011) seemed stuck. I took the whole valve assembly apart, and noticed that it still contained compressed air. I put it back together and it worked ok for the first shot. Second shot again was crap. What have I done???

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Hope you disassemble the valve before soldering the hole. :shock:
Otherwise, your valve seat is toast and burnt oil residues inside the valve. You mind as well get a new valve assembly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:25 pm 

you can use the tube idea but i find the sealing of air is not as good as the metal one but thats just me i have never yet had an air leak with any 2240 transfer port also the auctual transfer port supplys proper pressure to and balance the barrel heights and angles the way they should be the tube would not do this and accuracy will be affected. its easy to tell if he has the 2240 transfer port alreay he will know. take a 9/64 drill bit if it goes in then he will not need a new transfer port.. the 1377 detuned port is 5/64 insdie hole...this would be my sudgestion.. use the back end of the bit not the front end when sticking it in the hole of the transfer port....

any how there is my sudjestions

Post subject: my tport...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

my 2289 that i bought years ago... maybe 3 years ago only has the restricted transfer port that i drilled out to full size. But since i dont have a chrony yet I dont know what its shooting at.

Why dont you do what airsmith says and check if its full size, its its not, stick it in a vise with some rubber around it and drill it out slowly.

Post subject: It's fixed!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:00 am 

Ok, I got it fixed. It turns out that before fixing the bleed hole, the gun could dump 10 or 12 pumps. However, after the fix, it can only dump 8 or 9. Even with 9, there still seems to be some residual pressure. So, I pumped it 12 times, fired, and the valve reclosed without letting off as much steam. Anyways, I oiled it all up, stretched the hammer spring a bit, and now it works like a charm.

Results:

Before mod, I could put a pellet 0.205 inches into a piece of pine with 10 pumps.

After mod, I can put a pellet 0.215 inches into the same piece of pint with 8 pumps. So, I got a 5% improvement, and I don't have to pump as much. All for the price of a little solder, a little time, and a small cut on my index finger (got to be more careful next time).

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Post subject: Another question...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:02 am 

What is all this about a poly transfer port? I don't see any transfer port on my gun. My 2289 is pump action. Are you talking about a CO2 gun?

Thanks,

Chris

ps. I'm really new to airgunning, so forgive my ignorance.

Post subject: epoxy glue
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:08 am 

I also have a 2289. Will filling the bleed hole with epoxy work ?
How about using metal to metal glue ?

Is the soldering the same as those soldering in electronics ?

Post subject: My soldering technique
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:20 am 

Hi Papburger,

I used medium-fine electronic solder, rosin flux, and a propane torch. Make sure you take the valve apart before soldering it. There is plastic inside that would love to melt and cause you lots of trouble.

I think epoxy would work, but if you can solder, then it would be much faster, I think.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:21 am 

the transfer port is a little metal disc deal that sits on a rubber bushing or oring above the valve exaust area and also sits in the barrel to join the 2 together ....

Post subject: Ohhh...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:25 am 

Airsmith282,

OK, now I understand what the transfer port is. It's that thing that I put in upside down, then dropped on my garage floor, then...

So, what is the mod that makes it better? I looked at other posts, and don't really understand what I should do. Are you saying that I should replace that thing with a piece of poly tubing? Do I somehow seal it?

One other question: Would it be beneficial to enlarge the hole in the valve and barrel?

Thanks,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:46 am 
Site Moderator

We had some good 2289 postings in the past and the search feature works great on this forum. I did a quick search and found some info on "tubing" and transfer ports.

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forum/viewtop ... ubing.html

HTH,
Todd