Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:39 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:
Have you shot pistols in the past? If not, there are some really good YouTube videos giving pointers etc.
2,000 dollar gun means nothing but bragging rights. :wink:

Enjoy your new purchase! :drinkers:

How dare you

iratecaller, congrats on the new pistol. Some tips I recieved from one of the current Canadian national champions. Front sight, front sight, front sight. Yup. It's all about the front sight.

No disrespect as that was a tongue and cheek comment. I have expensive high end guns but the guns don't make me a good shot if I don't do my part.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:41 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
Your stuff looks amazing. Point blank.

Ok .. feeling much better now about the prospect of staining the grip. The grip feels dry, she needs wax. The innards are telling me it's time for lube and some TLC.

She's been in my hands for hours. Building memories as fast as possible.

Here's the closeup.
From the nice wood grain... Thinking it should be plain walnut (as you mentioned "dry" and the lighter color)??

If so... Easy job starts with some preparation... If you think the feel on the grip (not the coarse area) is smooth enough and you don't want to remove too much materials... Maybe you only need the fine grit sanding paper 400# and 800# Or just use the #0000 steel wool which is similar to #400 grits sanding paper on the smooth area of the grip...

I tried some different wood treatments and settled down with the pure tung oil. It's very easy to apply. Just use your finger and rub all over the grip with one drop or two at a time. Less is better. More means longer time to dry... Excess means it will never dried... [emoji38]

But you will need a very long time, a few hours or over night for this coat to get dried... And then repeat... A few times... 3, 5, 6 or more times... And the drying time increased as more you apply but better result at the end... If your gun is busy, maybe you can try something else with the drying agents...

Below is how's result came out when I was working on my Pro Sport...

Dec.27

2021.01.08 .done.

And not too long ago, I had some time and rubbed another coat on the spots where I touched every time when shooting the beauty like grip, fore end and the cheek place for a refreshment... :)

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:06 am 

YepYep wrote:
iratecaller wrote:
Your stuff looks amazing. Point blank.

Ok .. feeling much better now about the prospect of staining the grip. The grip feels dry, she needs wax. The innards are telling me it's time for lube and some TLC.

She's been in my hands for hours. Building memories as fast as possible.

Here's the closeup.
From the nice wood grain... Thinking it should be plain walnut (as you mentioned "dry" and the lighter color)??

If so... Easy job starts with some preparation... If you think the feel on the grip (not the coarse area) is smooth enough and you don't want to remove too much materials... Maybe you only need the fine grit sanding paper 400# and 800# Or just use the #0000 steel wool which is similar to #400 grits sanding paper on the smooth area of the grip...

I tried some different wood treatments and settled down with the pure tung oil. It's very easy to apply. Just use your finger and rub all over the grip with one drop or two at a time. Less is better. More means longer time to dry... Excess means it will never dried... [emoji38]

But you will need a very long time, a few hours or over night for this coat to get dried... And then repeat... A few times... 3, 5, 6 or more times... And the drying time increased as more you apply but better result at the end... If your gun is busy, maybe you can try something else with the drying agents...

Below is how's result came out when I was working on my Pro Sport...

Dec.27

2021.01.08 .done.

And not too long ago, I had some time and rubbed another coat on the spots where I touched every time when shooting the beauty like grip, fore end and the cheek place for a refreshment... :)

Great results. It looks all glossy after a few applications. Very nice! Tung oil. I can do this! The wood is smooth, but can see about a bit of finishing sanding.

So you wouldn't stain the wood, just finishing sanding and tung oil?

EDIT: I re-read your posts YepYep, and I'll stick to the tung oil like you suggested. No stain.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:56 am 

Thanks to YepYep, got myself some Tung oil, and starting the journey.

Taking pictures along the way and will show the results in a week or two.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:15 am 

Well.... You really sure you can stay away from shooting your new gun??

I think you need take the grip off the metal and don't touch again after applying a coat to let it dry by itself....

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:17 am 

The pure tung oil is easy to apply... If you feel it's dried, actually yup don't need to apply the next coat right away... And can stop at any time... You can do it once or twice, then put the grip back on and shoot it for a week then clean and apply the next coat again later....

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:33 am 

YepYep wrote:
Well.... You really sure you can stay away from shooting your new gun??

I think you need take the grip off the metal and don't touch again after applying a coat to let it dry by itself....

The grip is off. First coat is on. Smells like a woodshop in here. I'm not shooting it today. I don't want to wear out the hardware, so I'll leave the grip off for 3~4 days. Apply once each 24 hours.

Weird huh? I get a gun that I love to shoot ... then immediately prevent myself from using it. lol.

It's fine. Shot 120 shots yesterday, and had it in hand for at least 5 hours for some bonding.

Sniff. I miss it already.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:36 am 

YepYep wrote:
The pure tung oil is easy to apply... If you feel it's dried, actually yup don't need to apply the next coat right away... And can stop at any time... You can do it once or twice, then put the grip back on and shoot it for a week then clean and apply the next coat again later....

Might do that. Will take a picture of the grip in the same position prior to each coat.

You're right. It's a single screw to put the grip back on when the grip is dry, go have a bit of fun, then apply the next coat.

This is fun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:47 am 

WoodWelder wrote:
No disrespect as that was a tongue and cheek comment. I have expensive high end guns but the guns don't make me a good shot if I don't do my part.

I'm just having some fun, no actual offence was taken. It's true we spend an exorbitant amount of income doing this, and as expensive as it may seem, air guns is one of the cheaper shooting hobbies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:28 am 

YepYep wrote:
Just found an interesting read a few years ago here....

topic86272.html

That was a good read and a great heads-up. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:32 am 

WoodWelder wrote:
This guy has a few pointers to consider....He has a lot of videos out there. You have to find what works best for you and be constant as he points out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Sfzd3Do_k

Pistols can take a lot of practice....Unlike my wife, she happened to be a natural and it come very easy for her.

Be extra careful with that police/John Wick crap cause that may end up getting yourself shot. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

You appear to have a good attitude and you will get better and better.

That's perfect! Thanks.

Oh I keep the John Wick dual pistol yoga private. haha.
When the pistols do come out, it's in the backyard range.