Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:32 am 

Oh boy you can still smell Dan's Old Spice on this one (joke). Smells like accuracy. *long satisfying sniff*

Bought this one from the forum store.

Gotta say, I'm glad it's the ambidextrous grip version, because being so new, and traditionally left-handed, it's nice to be able to shoot with either hand, or both as the case may be for me at the moment.

The gun feels amazing in hand. The metal construction, cocking release arm, cocking force, and snug pellet seating are all amazing. The trigger, out-of-the-box from Dan felt fine, no adjustment necessary.

There is a bit of an angle between the sight and the wooden grips, but I won't complain about this until my full, unrequested review that I will thrust upon my fellow unsuspecting airguners.

No I'm not going to give you a shot string, or show off my amateur skills, because you've seen it all before.

What shocked me, is, right out of the box, this gun got me to hit the 1" bullseye on my targets a few times in the dozen or so shots I fired from standing position 20 feet away.

Easy to cock. The FPS feel like it's somewhere between 350 and 380 (Crosman hollow point .177 7.9gr .. yes I'll get some wad cutters of course), which is fine. Will chrony and present my personal review at some point once my shooting skills are better.

I would like to thank Dan for the fast turnaround, and also express to my fellow airgunners here that the airgunforum store is a good and safe place to shop.

Attachments:
1000000135.jpg
1000000135.jpg [ 438.97 KiB | Viewed 638 times ]

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:59 pm 

Nice to see you love the new toy!! And it looks really good indeed~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:43 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Nice to see you love the new toy!! And it looks really good indeed~

Thank you, it feels great. Put another 100 pellets through it. I'm shaky, but when I get a good shot, it's always within 1" from the center. (Only standing 20 feet away, using both hands for now.) LOVE the new toy. Weird to say, but everything feels right with this thing. It's such a game changer when you find your gun. This little fella and the PP20s have my target pistol niche down pat frankly.

However, this airgunner has lots of work to do in order to proclaim myself even a novice shooter of any kind let alone air pistol.

Thinking about staining the wood a nice dark color. Is that crazy?

This gun is staying with me. The other guns just slid down the totem pole. The ambi grip is excellent. Doubtful the C02 pistols will ever be used again, except the 2240. My hand craves the FAS 6004.

I must never ever touch a 2000$ gun. Ever.

LOL

Thanks YepYep. I own a FAS 6004 thanks to you and the other responses received on my pistol related rant.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:23 pm 

Have you shot pistols in the past? If not, there are some really good YouTube videos giving pointers etc.
2,000 dollar gun means nothing but bragging rights. :wink:

Enjoy your new purchase! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:35 pm 

Never shot pistols in the past, but since getting my "Glocks" earlier this year, I did follow some tactical / police style training for Glock pistols as a foundation on YouTube. Real guns of course in the vids.

(Let's not kid ourselves, I watched about 2 hours of training and practiced a few dozen hours since. Still a newb.)

There is this Indian 10m pistol instructor on YT, gleamed some fundamentals of 10m off him, but my grasp of the fundamentals and training that muscle memory isn't there yet.

Watched some 10m events. That was pretty cool.

I'll get there! Just building up strength and aiming stability. The trigger finger seems to be decently independent, but the muzzle still shifts when pulling the trigger. None of this is surgical at all yet.

The thousand mile journey has just begun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:46 pm 

WoodWelder wrote:
Have you shot pistols in the past? If not, there are some really good YouTube videos giving pointers etc.

How dare you

iratecaller, congrats on the new pistol. Some tips I recieved from one of the current Canadian national champions. Front sight, front sight, front sight. Yup. It's all about the front sight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:10 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
WoodWelder wrote:

How dare you

iratecaller, congrats on the new pistol. Some tips I recieved from one of the current Canadian national champions. Front sight, front sight, front sight. Yup. It's all about the front sight.

About front sights ...

Can't seem to stop aiming it and holding it up. That's how I practice with my guns. Trying to get the entire gun and especially sight to feel like a body extension.

As a guitarist, I know that the tactile memory of handling the guitar is critical. The more you hold it, use it, the more it becomes natural. Now my guitar feels like an extension of my body. (After 30 years)

Is this what you mean by front sight? Being naturally in complete control and connected to that front sight? Keeping it in focus in the eyes of course too right?

If so then the subtle wrist pivoting exercises, target shifting, aim holding, trigger and grip squeeze exercises I've naturally gravitated to are most likely beneficial.

That front sight gets shaky!! Really shaky! Once the gun feels like a natural extension, and strength is built up a bit, things should be looking pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:25 pm 

For 10m target shooting you should see a clear and crisp front sight, a slightly blurry rear sight, and the target itself a blurry circle. Unlike other forms of open sights where you line up the center of the target, you float the circle above front sight. Up to you to work out how much space you want to see from the top of the sight to the bottom of the circle. Don't bother trying to hold perfectly still because that is impossible, even with rifle. Just get comfortable with your movement and shooting when it feels right.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:36 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
For 10m target shooting you should see a clear and crisp front sight, a slightly blurry rear sight, and the target itself a blurry circle. Unlike other forms of open sights where you line up the center of the target, you float the circle above front sight. Up to you to work out how much space you want to see from the top of the sight to the bottom of the circle. Don't bother trying to hold perfectly still because that is impossible, even with rifle. Just get comfortable with your movement and shooting when it feels right.

EDIT: I've been trying to hold perfectly still. Yup. Newb mistake.

Got it. Just watched some vids that demonstrate these principles.

Easier said than done.

I've been watching a gentleman called Hemant Jadhav and some other tuts.

Jeez and here I was aiming right at the bullseye! haha. It's fun being a complete newb.

The principles are getting a bit clearer now.

This is a great start! Thank you.

I'll be ready to represent Canada in a few more hours. hehe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:34 pm 

And one more thing here is shooting airgun, no matter the recoiled springer or the non recoiled SSP like the 6004 is much different than the real steel... Maybe the blow back replicas could be similar, but not the "real" airgun, target style...

I remember long long time ago, my good workmate friend told me how to hold a pistol... A 9mm of course, but I used the technique on the 1911 BB gun only...... [emoji38] Firm grab and push out with your right hand, then firm grab and pull back using the left hand covering the right hand... So to balance the two hands and aim then shoot...

Like you don't need to perfectly hold the gun still but just need to get used to the movement and feel your breathing, heart beating, timing... When you feel right, pull the trigger...

I think the problem you have right now, the muzzle flip to aside when pulling the trigger maybe be because you hold it too tight... And movement of the trigger finger break the balance so the force/effort from yourself pull/flip the muzzle...

Just let the gun sit inside your palm comfortably and not necessarily to grab it tight... It won't leave you without a word.... [emoji38]

Maybe you can also try to adjust the trigger to make it a bit lighter and see if that helps...

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:42 pm 

LOL... I suddenly think maybe I should suggest you to find a Weihrauch HW45 which is an infamous beast springer pistol. I love mine very much and learned a lot from it~

It's not only muzzle flip and miss the target... It will muzzle flip and hurt your wrist~ [emoji38] [emoji38]

When you know how to communicate with this spicy hot lady, it's just super accurate and super rewarding and lot of fun to shoot it~ ImageImage

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:59 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
Thinking about staining the wood a nice dark color. Is that crazy?

Thanks YepYep. I own a FAS 6004 thanks to you and the other responses received on my pistol related rant.

Thank you!

You are very welcome!!

And regards the wood working.... It's NOT crazy at all~ [emoji38] I think I done all my wood stocks and grips and any wood pieces on my guns... At least rubbed some wax on them...

I think the wood grip on the 6004 is walnut?? Send us a closer look photo?!

That's very good wood and very easy to get good results~ and you don't need to apply any stains... Applying walnut stain on a walnut wood block looks rediculous~ [emoji38] [emoji38]

First check out it's plain wood piece without anything on it or already had something from the factory... And then we can see how to process...

Walnut is the beat thing to work on... Just apply pure oil, tung oil or something else just see what you used to work on... And give it time and patient and it will return you a nice and beautiful dark and smooth new looks... And when time pass by, it will became darker and darker... Very tasteful at last...

My HW45 factory grip panels... Before...

After...

HW75 grip after...

AA Pro Sport Before...

After....

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:16 pm 

Your stuff looks amazing. Point blank.

Ok .. feeling much better now about the prospect of staining the grip. The grip feels dry, she needs wax. The innards are telling me it's time for lube and some TLC.

She's been in my hands for hours. Building memories as fast as possible.

Here's the closeup.

Attachments:
1000000137.jpg
1000000137.jpg [ 264.34 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:58 pm 

Just found an interesting read a few years ago here....

topic86272.html

~Target~

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:28 pm 

This guy has a few pointers to consider....He has a lot of videos out there. You have to find what works best for you and be constant as he points out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Sfzd3Do_k

Pistols can take a lot of practice....Unlike my wife, she happened to be a natural and it come very easy for her.

Be extra careful with that police/John Wick crap cause that may end up getting yourself shot. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

You appear to have a good attitude and you will get better and better.