Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:30 pm 

As far as being left eye dominant and being right handed or vis/a/vis merely chose the "off" eye. That means closing the left eye when shooting right handed or closing the right eye when shooting left handed. Pretty simple procedure.
This was standard procedure in basic training as we shot our handguns both right and left handed.
In the instinctive relays both eyes are open and all concentration is on the spot, be it an imaginary aiming spot or a coat, jacket or perhaps a shirt button.
With practise, we proved 6" and tighter grouping possible at 25yards with the gun held below the line of sight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:23 pm 

Daryl wrote:
As far as being left eye dominant and being right handed or vis/a/vis merely chose the "off" eye. That means closing the left eye when shooting right handed or closing the right eye when shooting left handed. Pretty simple procedure.
This was standard procedure in basic training as we shot our handguns both right and left handed.
In the instinctive relays both eyes are open and all concentration is on the spot, be it an imaginary aiming spot or a coat, jacket or perhaps a shirt button.
With practise, we proved 6" and tighter grouping possible at 25yards with the gun held below the line of sight.

Today that's the approach I took. Thanks for that.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:33 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:
You seem a bit more on the serious side and I know you have a 3d printer so I'll make a suggestion. Printing off an iris and attach it to a clip on blinder for your glasses. Here's the one I use.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2852266

You can find clip on blinders on amazon for a reasonable price. You are on your own for the paper clip. Makes a world of difference over squinting one eye.

You could just buy a proper set of 10m shooting glasses but that would cost more than your pistol.

You are the man. I was looking at something like the "Merit Optical Attachment w/ Suction Cup", but for what they are, it's a bit steep and hard to get. I do wear eyeglasses, so clip-ons are great.

Thank you! This is perfect, and simple enough to try in no time at all.

I appreciate this.

Just received my el-cheapo flip-up blind this weekend and installed an iris on my existing eyeglasses. Tested it by simply aiming a gun with them on.

- It's nice not having to close my non-shooting eye.
- Easier to focus on the target
- The light from the sides are a bother now and it would be great to have blinds on both sides of my head.
- It looks ridiculous, but, it works.

As a wearer of prescription eyeglasses, attaching things to my glasses is fine, but getting a professional sharp shooting frame and getting a prescription lens made might be prohibitively expensive.

I wonder if there are sharpshooter frames that could just hold an iris and blinds in front of the eyeglasses.

The thought of putting on some welding goggles over my eyeglasses and punching an iris through it occurred to me. lol.

Thanks @jckstrthmghty for the advice. After practicing some aiming and getting frustrated about the shaking, I finally just locked my arm, wrist and neck and aimed with my torso instead. I aimed with my hips and back instead of arms ... and it worked wonders. It felt stable.

Live and learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:46 am 

Glad it's working out for you. I definitely would not good back to closing one eye. No need to make anything harder. Yup, once you accept you are going to move you can work on shooting when it feels right. One last tip. If you can't get a good sight picture within eight seconds, lower your arm, take a few breaths, and re-address. Learn not to force anything.

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:56 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Glad it's working out for you. I definitely would not good back to closing one eye. No need to make anything harder. Yup, once you accept you are going to move you can work on shooting when it feels right. One last tip. If you can't get a good sight picture within eight seconds, lower your arm, take a few breaths, and re-address. Learn not to force anything.

cheers
Yep~ the last tip is a really good one!! I found the same but I couldn't get the conclusion into words~ But I found once you force yourself to make that shot it's always a bad one~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:54 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

cheers

That's a great tip and even though we all know that it's OK to not shoot, it's easy to get caught up in the pressure .. then the sight starts wobbling.
8 seconds max then regroup.

Now the blind and iris setup on my glasses is "OK" but it's really flimsy and moves a lot. Like when I need to flip up the iris, it tends to fall off.

Is there a stable and more robust solution to use over existing glasses? ... or is the solution really a prescription lens in a shooting frame? There's gotta be something better than cheap clip-ons that pop-off. Something that's eyeglass friendly?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:57 pm 

YepYep wrote:
once you force yourself to make that shot it's always a bad one~

I second that comment!
When things are not feeling right and you have been holding your breath too long, I find that my brain switches from "make a good shot" to "get this over with..." followed quickly by "oh crap".