Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:21 pm 

I'm a grown up, have average strength and, *knock on wood*, am perfectly functional, but, trying to emulate a good 10m pistol routine, using the great resources in the "Coache's Wisdom", especially the video, and feedback from fellow forum members, I gotta say...

Hats off to you 10m (or any event) shooters! It takes months or years of conditioning. I get it.

Me well, I'm still figuring out which hand and eye to use!

After 4 solid days of practice, (shush, I'm new) my right arm is feeling it after ONLY 20 shots (Artemis PP20 PCP) still, but I rep for hours. Both arms. The left one seems fine, although I'm stuck using a PP700S-A in that hand. No pain.

My gut tells me the left-handed and left eye shot is the most stable currently, although my right-handed and right eye shot is 'ok'.

Practicing with dry-fire in the house with a nearby point of aim. It's nice to be able to do the routine in a tight space.

Anyways, just wanted to say, that "I get it", and 60 of your best shots in a row, is a heck of grueling session to get used to.

*hats off*

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:40 am 

I learned in the PAL course, usually you need to follow the dominant eye... Remember yours is left. And you are good as you use your left hand too... The worst case is the dominant eye and hand are not on the same side... It will be hard to align your eye with the sights when holding the gun in the hand on the other side...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:39 am 

Yeah 60 quality shots in a row is not so easy. You'll be a hero if you can do it with your new SSP and score well, lets say anything above 500. Enjoy the journey.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:33 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I learned in the PAL course, usually you need to follow the dominant eye... Remember yours is left. And you are good as you use your left hand too... The worst case is the dominant eye and hand are not on the same side... It will be hard to align your eye with the sights when holding the gun in the hand on the other side...

You might be right. Left hand and left eye shooting is a bit easier than right handed and right eye shooting. Darn. Looks like I'm one of those "different" people. Still enjoy shooting righty however.

The unmodified match grip on the right-handed pp20, although snug, is a bit tight near the bottom shelf. This may contribute to some discomfort over time. The left handed exercises I can only do with my PP700S-A PCP until the FAS 6004 grip is ready.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:39 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Yeah 60 quality shots in a row is not so easy. You'll be a hero if you can do it with your new SSP and score well, lets say anything above 500. Enjoy the journey.

Definitely a hero! I get it. Not easy at all.

The pellet trap and targets are on order. Just doing the routine over and over, not even shooting at this point. (OK! Maybe just a bit of shooting, but mainly just practicing the routine.)

The FAS 6004 SSP's grip is in the shop for some finishing work, and so the pistol routine/reps are being done with a right-handed PP20 PCP. Seems that I'm more of a lefty, but still want to give it a chance.

Not doing any cocking, or pellet loading at this point, just reps of the routine, breathing, front-sight intelligence, trigger and follow-through. All about the breathing.

Getting the ol' body used to something new.

Thanks for the support. Looking forward to being a bit more active on the forum when there's more for me to say.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:18 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
YepYep wrote:

You might be right. Left hand and left eye shooting is a bit easier than right handed and right eye shooting. Darn. Looks like I'm one of those "different" people. Still enjoy shooting righty however.

The unmodified match grip on the right-handed pp20, although snug, is a bit tight near the bottom shelf. This may contribute to some discomfort over time. The left handed exercises I can only do with my PP700S-A PCP until the FAS 6004 grip is ready.
You are good! Because you can use both your eyes and both your hands~ great practice for your brain too!

And when I was in the PAL course, one lady there was the worst case... She's right handed but left eye dominant... She just found this fact when instructor told us how to know which eye is your dominant eye... Not the end of the world~ instructor said actually these cases are not rare. And ppl can still able to train to use the other hand or the other eye... However you will need to put more efforts to become a good shooter~ And... There's another cure... Train to use a shotgun~ you don't nees to aim with a hip fire mode and can be comfortably hit what you want to hit~ :)

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:43 pm 

You seem a bit more on the serious side and I know you have a 3d printer so I'll make a suggestion. Printing off an iris and attach it to a clip on blinder for your glasses. Here's the one I use.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2852266

You can find clip on blinders on amazon for a reasonable price. You are on your own for the paper clip. Makes a world of difference over squinting one eye.

You could just buy a proper set of 10m shooting glasses but that would cost more than your pistol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:42 am 

YepYep wrote:
iratecaller wrote:
YepYep wrote:

You are good! Because you can use both your eyes and both your hands~ great practice for your brain too!

And when I was in the PAL course, one lady there was the worst case... She's right handed but left eye dominant... She just found this fact when instructor told us how to know which eye is your dominant eye... Not the end of the world~ instructor said actually these cases are not rare. And ppl can still able to train to use the other hand or the other eye... However you will need to put more efforts to become a good shooter~ And... There's another cure... Train to use a shotgun~ you don't nees to aim with a hip fire mode and can be comfortably hit what you want to hit~ :)

I took the PAL/FSC course pretending to be a righty, to emulate the instructor's handling of the rifles and the translate the rifle action handling routines to left on my own time.

My eye dominance can be shifted consciously. If I need my right to be dominant, then it shifts and my right is effortlessly dominant for as long as needed and vice versa. Feels like my face warps a bit when the shift occurs. Anybody else do this?

FYI: This isn't due to amazing eyesight, I wear corrective lenses and have needed so since my eye surgery when 18 months old. (I don't think they gave me glasses until a few years later.)

Shotguns! Blech. Oh I'll buy a 12 or a 410 when the PAL comes in, because everyone needs a shotgun, but prefer slugs on a bolt action rifle at a real shooting range. Even a .22 LR is more attractive to me than a 12 gauge.

I'm all about the airguns.

Love them airguns.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:15 am 

iratecaller wrote:
Shotguns! Blech. Oh I'll buy a 12 or a 410 when the PAL comes in, because everyone needs a shotgun, but prefer slugs on a bolt action rifle at a real shooting range. Even a .22 LR is more attractive to me than a 12 gauge.

Love them airguns.
I wouldn't give up my shotguns or clay sports for any airgun. Atleast try before you make judgement.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:58 am 

[emoji38] I still remember the first time I saw that super huge "pellet" in the class!! I took the class a few years later after I started shooting 495fps air guns, of course including the 2240... So already saw quite a few different pellets~ So that huge pellet really gave me a good laugh~then knowing that is the shotgun slug I heard so many times~ [emoji38] [emoji38]

~Target~

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:29 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
You seem a bit more on the serious side and I know you have a 3d printer so I'll make a suggestion. Printing off an iris and attach it to a clip on blinder for your glasses. Here's the one I use.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2852266

You can find clip on blinders on amazon for a reasonable price. You are on your own for the paper clip. Makes a world of difference over squinting one eye.

You could just buy a proper set of 10m shooting glasses but that would cost more than your pistol.

You are the man. I was looking at something like the "Merit Optical Attachment w/ Suction Cup", but for what they are, it's a bit steep and hard to get. I do wear eyeglasses, so clip-ons are great.

Thank you! This is perfect, and simple enough to try in no time at all.

I appreciate this.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:32 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
iratecaller wrote:

Love them airguns.
I wouldn't give up my shotguns or clay sports for any airgun. Atleast try before you make judgement.

They have the clay shoot at the local range. Will give it a try of course, and we will have a shotgun since they are kind of essential, and the only way to practice is at the local range or hunting. Not a hunter. Basically, there's no choice but to do a bit of skeet shooting.

EDIT: Just ordered a flip-up blind and will print the iris when it gets here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:31 am 

Target pistols are designed with more weight in the hand, but with small muzzle weights to use when necessary. The PP700 is not at all designed for one handed 10M shooting. It does very well with 2 hands though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:47 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Target pistols are designed with more weight in the hand, but with small muzzle weights to use when necessary. The PP700 is not at all designed for one handed 10M shooting. It does very well with 2 hands though.

It's not very good for 10M shooting at all. Going through the motions with it because I just don't have a left-handed match pistol yet. Still waiting on the FAS 6004 grip to dry. It's got an ambi grip.

Might be selling some guns to fund a dedicated left-hander.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:20 pm 

YepYep wrote:
[emoji38] I still remember the first time I saw that super huge "pellet" in the class!! I took the class a few years later after I started shooting 495fps air guns, of course including the 2240... So already saw quite a few different pellets~ So that huge pellet really gave me a good laugh~then knowing that is the shotgun slug I heard so many times~ [emoji38] [emoji38]

I have the Lyman mould that casts that .690" "slug". Weighs 525gr. and fits inside the red AA wad. 1,800fps from a 3"hull.
That's 3,778FPE. Good "pellet" for bear protection.