Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:48 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
The targets I have are 70mmx70mm. I don't think you would have a hard time figuring out how to hang them. I use a clipboard clip but tape of any kind works too. My target box is just a couple of pine boards screwed together with duct seal on the back. Picture with an official 10m airgun target.

Ah lucky to be able to that inside! .. you even have a nice little camera stand and everything. Nicely done.

Here I thought the cone pellet box was going to be enough. Well it's brand new, I have 80 cards left and another 100 pack of rando cards the app won't recognize.

I'll get through those first otherwise they'll never get used. They can be my warm up before using an official 10m airgun target.

Thanks for showing that! Nice setup.

Ever consider getting that little machine that slides the target back and forth on a rope?

Edit: Another one using duct seal. Hrmmm. Well, looks like the next mini project is a little box with some duct seal inside.
Edit2: Picked up some official airgun targets from the "cibles / targets" e-bay store.

What a journey. This is fun.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:26 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
Ah lucky to be able to that inside! .. you even have a nice little camera stand and everything. Nicely done.

Here I thought the cone pellet box was going to be enough. Well it's brand new, I have 80 cards left and another 100 pack of rando cards the app won't recognize.

I'll get through those first otherwise they'll never get used. They can be my warm up before using an official 10m airgun target.

Ever consider getting that little machine that slides the target back and forth on a rope?

Edit: Another one using duct seal. Hrmmm. Well, looks like the next mini project is a little box with some duct seal inside.
Edit2: Picked up some official airgun targets from the "cibles / targets" e-bay store.

Absolutely but I think buying the SCATT trainer would've been the end choice. No target change or pellets ever needed. All dry fire with accurate scoring.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:03 pm 

This is my indoor box. 18" x 19".
It has a 3/16" thick sheet of steel angled at about 45 degrees inside, the bottom edge sitting on 1 1/2" angle iron, so deflecting pellets do not hit the plywood of the box.
I staple a sheet of cardboard across the front and hand targets from the clips or staple to the cardboard.
This box works for all my air rifles and would likely work just as well for .22LR. I think .17HMR would cause dimples in the steel same as they do to .22RF silhouettes.
I would also be concerned shooting into a 5" x 5 1/2" box.

Attachments:
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG [ 547.59 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
IMG_2653.JPG
IMG_2653.JPG [ 694.29 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
IMG_2652.JPG
IMG_2652.JPG [ 646.7 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:55 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
iratecaller wrote:

Absolutely but I think buying the SCATT trainer would've been the end choice. No target change or pellets ever needed. All dry fire with accurate scoring.

Wow they don't give it away that SCATT system. Looks pretty awesome, but wow, it's more expensive than any of my guns. :)

It's a rather perfect training system however.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:03 am 

Daryl wrote:
This is my indoor box. 18" x 19".
It has a 3/16" thick sheet of steel angled at about 45 degrees inside, the bottom edge sitting on 1 1/2" angle iron, so deflecting pellets do not hit the plywood of the box.
I staple a sheet of cardboard across the front and hand targets from the clips or staple to the cardboard.
This box works for all my air rifles and would likely work just as well for .22LR. I think .17HMR would cause dimples in the steel same as they do to .22RF silhouettes.
I would also be concerned shooting into a 5" x 5 1/2" box.

Nice sturdy box. Clearly some thought went into that and its rather well used.
For my paper punchers the 5.5"x5.5" is fine at 5m, but given the up to 2 inch groupings and odd flyers, moving to 10m is unwise with this box.

Ok you guys have inspired me ... to get/make a secondary box for larger targets. The little box could be offset a bit for a dozen warm-up shots.

There are definitely some passionate airguners on the forum. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:03 pm 

Now and then, I remove the chunks of pellets.

Attachments:
IMG_2654 2.jpg
IMG_2654 2.jpg [ 271.63 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:15 pm 

Daryl wrote:

My goodness. You aren't using the paper puncher I'm using, that's for sure.

Those pellets are flat. After hitting my targets with the paper puncher, the pellets still look like pellets!

Nice. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:18 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Those pellets are flat. After hitting my targets with the paper puncher, the pellets still look like pellets!

Nice. 8)
LOL~ when you get your PAL, you will have that little higher power rifles which can make the pellet turn to pieces when hitting Some hars surface...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:00 pm 

YepYep wrote:
iratecaller wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Nice. 8)
LOL~ when you get your PAL, you will have that little higher power rifles which can make the pellet turn to pieces when hitting Some hars surface...

:drooling:

... but not in the backyard or in our tiny house.

Can't wait. It forces you, so to speak, to step away from the backyard and use a rifle! Finally it's an opportunity to use the PP750 with scope as a tag-along to the main show: using a 1000fps firearm for the first time and being solid enough to nail that long range target hard. My endearment with pellet guns is so strong that despite not shopping yet, a pellet rifle will come before the .22 compact semi, 12, and bolt action rifle. The first pellet rifle will be some classy looking thing with a wooden stock for a beginner. One of those trustworthy 1000fps spring piston jobs.

Gotta learn to aim before you take game as they say.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:51 pm 

Don't get too hung up on the 1000 fps number for a springer.
Many of us spring power aficionados have very nice rifles that could be tuned up over 1000 fps, but in the interest of accuracy and a pleasant shooting experience, drop them down to 800-something fps.
I do not recall where in Ontario you are located and I do not see it listed in your profile, but if you are anywhere within a couple hours drive of where we shoot Field Target, you need to come out to a shoot!
Your interest in precision, plus your comments about nice rifles make you a natural fit.
Rob27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:28 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
YepYep wrote:
iratecaller wrote:
[quote="Daryl"]Now and then, I remove the chunks of pellets.

Nice. 8)

:drooling:

... but not in the backyard or in our tiny house.

Can't wait. It forces you, so to speak, to step away from the backyard and use a rifle! Finally it's an opportunity to use the PP750 with scope as a tag-along to the main show: using a 1000fps firearm for the first time and being solid enough to nail that long range target hard. My endearment with pellet guns is so strong that despite not shopping yet, a pellet rifle will come before the .22 compact semi, 12, and bolt action rifle. The first pellet rifle will be some classy looking thing with a wooden stock for a beginner. One of those trustworthy 1000fps spring piston jobs.

Gotta learn to aim before you take game as they say.[/quote]No need to hurry~ Rome was not built in a day~ Just take your time to wait for the plastic card and I think everyone here in the forum will love to give you ideas on buying new guns~ That's our favorite topic to discuss~ [emoji38] [emoji38]

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:53 pm 

Rob27 wrote:
Don't get too hung up on the 1000 fps number for a springer.
Many of us spring power aficionados have very nice rifles that could be tuned up over 1000 fps, but in the interest of accuracy and a pleasant shooting experience, drop them down to 800-something fps.
I do not recall where in Ontario you are located and I do not see it listed in your profile, but if you are anywhere within a couple hours drive of where we shoot Field Target, you need to come out to a shoot!
Your interest in precision, plus your comments about nice rifles make you a natural fit.
Rob27

I get that. Not hung on up on power at all .. just the notion of getting to know a decent rifle. Can't wait.

My area is the North Bay area. Sturgeon Falls to be precise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:55 pm 

YepYep wrote:
No need to hurry~ Rome was not built in a day~ Just take your time to wait for the plastic card and I think everyone here in the forum will love to give you ideas on buying new guns~ That's our favorite topic to discuss~ [emoji38] [emoji38]

Oh I'm waiting for the card alright. Not even shopping around.

... and no more new guns for a while!!! With what I have on the way ... that's quite enough until it's PAL rifle time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:13 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
... and no more new guns for a while!!! With what I have on the way ... that's quite enough until it's PAL rifle time.

Yep~ been there before... So better to beg us again to not teasing you.... [emoji38] :drinkers:

~Target~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:35 pm 

YepYep wrote:
iratecaller wrote:

Yep~ been there before... So better to beg us again to not teasing you.... [emoji38] :drinkers:

Oh you do you and the forum is just a big tease anyways. Nothing wrong with that. I have restraint. lol.

I over-purchased in the non-pal pistol category so time to recover because perhaps early next year when the PAL application is processed. No rush here.

That's a bunch of expenses so for now it's 10m pistol shooting (5m .. working up to 10).

My internal dialog about what will my rifle purchase be will settle somewhere between: "a classic pellet rifle", "the most compact semi-auto .22 available in Canada", "a solid bolt-action rifle that can take down game at 100 yards", and "a mandatory 12 ga shotgun", or ... drop all that and get a modern pellet shooting wonder, a beauty of an air rifle, my "the one" and be done with it.

... OR ALL OF THE ABOVE.

My gut tells me that all of the above is where this path leads. It's a question of priorities, and planning.

It's just not time to get into THAT obsession.

.. and we're back to pistol shooting. lol.