Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:49 am 

Package from Portugal! Anybody ever get their hands on one of these?

Attachment:
File comment: Used wad cutters for the test. The free pen was from the dealer.
Dual.jpg
Dual.jpg [ 510.36 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]

It's a "Single Stroke Pneumatic" pumper like the Weihrauch HW75, Beeman P17 and FAS 6004. To cock the gun you pull back the hammer, which releases the faux, yet metal "slide" and then pump the piston.

The LP400 is apparently built around the same/similar powerplant as the Gamo Compact.

Attachment:
SlideOpen.jpg
SlideOpen.jpg [ 529.44 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]

Being loosely inspired by the 1911, similarly to the Beeman P1, which is a springer, not SSP, I wanted to put them back to back to see how they measure up...

Attachment:
VSBeemanP1.jpg
VSBeemanP1.jpg [ 441.9 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]

Well then. I won't be swapping the grips, since the LP400 grips are plastic, but they do look compatible don't they? You'd have to be a bit mad to spend some hard cash on grips for the LP400, being in the same league as the P17 budget-wise, but what if it becomes the backyard darling? Why not buy those gold encrusted ivory grips for your 80$ gun. Kidding. (Ok these were over 100$ each, but they had to be imported, but should normally cost less than 100 CDN)

In terms of cocking strength required, it is about the same as the FAS 6004, and a bit less than a Beeman P17.

Performance-wise, you are looking at pushing those .177 pellets out at a little over 300 fps on average, which is MUCH less than the P17. Good for paper targets using wadcutters.

It is much more compact than any other SSP thus far. Very light. Feels great in hand. Most likely fits generic holsters and cases. It's got a rail! :lol: (I suppose a laser could be fun and easier on poor eyes.)

The sights are fixed, but that doesn't seem to be a problem at short range. In that regard it is similar to many other BB/Pellet guns. Zeroed by design from the factory. Less to fiddle with .. just shoot. ;)

Trigger pull: just shy of 2 lbs, measured a few times. (Finally put my trigger pull scale to use!)

The trigger is not adjustable, feels a bit spongy and doesn't spring back from the wall, but it is not too stiff to make you miss and not too light as to be dangerous ... because ...

... it has no safety.

So it's a pretty darn good short-range backyard plinker. It can do cans, paper targets and standard bb gun targets.

Being so light, compact, having metal where it counts, and with a decent trigger, it is a fun little gun.

Very quiet too. A wee bit less snap than the P17, but also much slimmer. The lack of safety just means you won't miss your perfect shot.

I like them. Both of them.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:11 am 

nice ir. let me know when ya wanna sell it. lol. i got a beauty set of cocobolo grips that would fit it perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:18 pm 

pete wrote:
nice ir. let me know when ya wanna sell it. lol. i got a beauty set of cocobolo grips that would fit it perfectly.

Here it is in a budget holster I had lying around. It fits.

Attachment:
Holster.jpg
Holster.jpg [ 472.02 KiB | Viewed 772 times ]

Finally ... a SSP that fits!

Pete, I hunted for this gun around the world for the simple fact that it made ZERO sense that this model isn't available in Canada. Suspected that it was related to this odd fear of anything that looks like a replica, but that made no sense. It isn't replica and that wasn't the problem. As it turns out, many dealers simply try to avoid Canada because packages get stuck in no-man's land and then people fight for refunds. Pistol to Canada = BAD is the general line of thinking. Some of the places would rather sell me a high power pellet rifle that I'm not even allowed to own! (Because for them it's just an airgun ... but they see Canada as being a confusing place that leads to packages falling into a hole.)

I paid then got refunded as soon as a human saw the order came from Canada. Over and over again, for no reason whatsoever! It is just a paper puncher! It was humiliating, but it's more about embarrassment for the country at this point.

The route I took to get these low-power, fixed sight, and non-adjustable trigger pellet pistols was long and arduous. For that reason, I'm not keen on letting them go! Also, how many are in Canada? My 2?

One of the reasons was to have a little contest with my cousin at a family reunion where I'd leave him with a gun. Wanted to give him something special that wasn't expensive. .. and the LP400 fits the bill perfect.

As it turns out, there's no reunion and these babies are mine. Maybe I'll put one back in the box and think about it.

I'll think about it Pete. ;) Probably won't be less than 150 when it goes up, but I'll think about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:34 pm 

ya i gotcha ir. i was just kidding with you any way. get the good ones while you can and hang onto them. because soon it will be impossible to get any at all any more. i was just surprised that you got them and wondered how. your getting a nice collection . thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:49 pm 

pete wrote:
ya i gotcha ir. i was just kidding with you any way. get the good ones while you can and hang onto them. because soon it will be impossible to get any at all any more. i was just surprised that you got them and wondered how. your getting a nice collection . thanks.

I hear ya.

Yes hold on to them. There are things available in Canada right now that probably won't be around forever either.

The collection of pistols is growing for sure. Rifles, not so much. Gotta wait for the PAL for that .. an I'm done importing stuff. Canadian dealers only from this point on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:33 pm 

Congratulations ir~ I feel glad about your success in sourcing the good you want from all over the world and got them at the doorway finally!!

Except the power this really a better size when you have a chance to place them with other SSP side by side to compare~ All the others do look over sized~ [emoji38]

And the full metal contraction must feels great in hand! It's not that usual on such a "budget" gun~

And the grip panels, you can find cheapo good ones from China or some other places. The cheapest one I bought for my HW45 I remember just cost me 20 bucks something delivered. It's easy to find out if it's1911 compatible by switching them with your P1~

Well.... Looks they got cheaper not being expensive now a days.... (Nope...no....no...... Stop thinking that way, I got more than enough already... :eek:)

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! C$6.29 32%OFF | 2Pieces Gun 1911 Grips African yellow pear wood Handle Grips Patch Custom Grips CNC Gun Handle Grips
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mts5iLU

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! C$7.34 32%OFF | 1 Pair Olive Wood DIY Hand Grip Patch Material Non-slip Handle blanks slabs scales For 1911 Grips Models
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKMMqA2

Also wondering The accuracy of your new toys~ as good as other SSP?! Compare to the P17?!

This LP400 will be a great cottage/camping/family fun pistol without doubt~ Again, Great found!

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:04 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Congratulations ir~ I feel glad about your success in sourcing the good you want from all over the world and got them at the doorway finally!!

Except the power this really a better size when you have a chance to place them with other SSP side by side to compare~ All the others do look over sized~ [emoji38]

And the full metal contraction must feels great in hand! It's not that usual on such a "budget" gun~

And the grip panels, you can find cheapo good ones from China or some other places. The cheapest one I bought for my HW45 I remember just cost me 20 bucks something delivered. It's easy to find out if it's1911 compatible by switching them with your P1~

Well.... Looks they got cheaper not being expensive now a days.... (Nope...no....no...... Stop thinking that way, I got more than enough already... :eek:)

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! C$6.29 32%OFF | 2Pieces Gun 1911 Grips African yellow pear wood Handle Grips Patch Custom Grips CNC Gun Handle Grips
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mts5iLU

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! C$7.34 32%OFF | 1 Pair Olive Wood DIY Hand Grip Patch Material Non-slip Handle blanks slabs scales For 1911 Grips Models
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKMMqA2

Also wondering The accuracy of your new toys~ as good as other SSP?! Compare to the P17?!

This LP400 will be a great cottage/camping/family fun pistol without doubt~ Again, Great found!

Those grips are cool! Yeah they are family friendly for sure. The cocking is easy. The gun couldn't be simpler. Put 50 shots through one of them. Consistent shot pressure helps. The sights are fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:51 am 

Always wanted one of that, and I can see it is well build and its nice for a wad cutter shooter, that one deserves to be on everyone pistol collection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:07 am 

pistolero wrote:
Always wanted one of that, and I can see it is well build and its nice for a wad cutter shooter, that one deserves to be on everyone pistol collection.

Totally agreed.

That being said however, after 50 shots yesterday with one of the pistols, it busted a seal or something and won't build up pressure. I have to tear it down .. too cheap to send back to Portugal. (One more reason to buy local.)

In all fairness the gun looked refurbished, and there are some tool marks in places where there shouldn't be any. My gut tells me it was factory refurbished and they messed up.

Also when you close the slide, it can be a bit crooked and gets stuck on the hammer. I'm sure the gun is salvageable and will endeavor to fix it. Need to knock out some pins to remove the piston assembly .. etc.

The OTHER gun however feels brand new. The slide closes perfectly. Seems a bit more punchy. Hopefully that one will stay intact.

I'm in dialog with some folks .. perhaps we can get more of these to make them available.

Hopefully this seal blow-out issue, or whatever, is isolated to the one gun. Time will tell.

More to come. Now I have 2 defective and unusable Artemis/Snowpeak products. Yay me.