Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:33 pm 

This is a pellet trap I picked up from Cibles for 30$ since I'm interested in 10m pistol and these are perfect for ISSF standardized targets.

It has a spring loaded steel plate to absorb the pellet momentum.

Fantastic little trap and it's a step above the Gamo cone traps, which are fine.

Shooting wadcutters (RWS R10 Match 7gr) into the trap with mostly paper punchers (sub 400 fps)

Check out the picture .. the pellets are fusing to the steel plate!

Attachment:
1000000226.jpg
1000000226.jpg [ 265.85 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]

I can't even scrape them off. Tried bashing them with a screwdriver to wedge them off to no avail.

Is this a thing? I didn't expect the pellets to fuse to the backplate. Shot maybe 400 pellets into it so far, most of them just fall to the bottom. Some clearly want to become permanent fixtures.

What gives?

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:09 pm 

There must be a film of something on the steel plate, that the pellets are fusing with or melting and thus sticking.
I used a clean, smooth 1/10" inch thick stainless plate for my first pellet stopper & it bounced them, but with the .22 Bam 28C, the
pellets eventually made a hole in the plate, shooting through it and through a wall, before I noticed they were going through.
My new steel backstop is 3/16" thick and bounces everything, including .22, .25 and .45 cal bullets form PCP's. The pellets are
not sticking to the bare steel plate. They do stick together in a lump at the bottom of the plate.
That is why I think your plate must have something on it, a plastic or varnish, or some other substance.
These pellets & bullets are impacting at speeds from 400fps, up to 1,140fps.
My back plate is slightly more angled than the one you show.
I would just keep shooting it and see what happens. A steel egg flipper might scrape them off.

Attachments:
IMG_2654 2.jpg
IMG_2654 2.jpg [ 271.63 KiB | Viewed 496 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:48 pm 

iratecaller wrote:
Check out the picture .. the pellets are fusing to the steel plate!

Attachment:
1000000226.jpg

Is this a thing? I didn't expect the pellets to fuse to the backplate. Shot maybe 400 pellets into it so far, most of them just fall to the bottom. Some clearly want to become permanent fixtures.

What gives?

LOL~ It's just very interesting to see such a thing~

IMO no need to worry and just keep shooting when they become a big lead nugget, it will fall by its weight or easier to get off~

And the lead nugget could be the extra layer protection when not "over does"... Just check it from time to time~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:52 pm 

Looks like it might be galvanized... does lead stick to zinc?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:56 pm 

Oh... Maybe the steel plate is too smooth and like polished... And the wadcutter pellets Just stick on it by theintermolecular forces? I know the R10 pellets are shiny smooth on the skin.... :). Just my guessing....

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:51 pm 

I enlarged the picture of your plate and it appears to be the hot-dip method of galvanizing (immersion in melted zinc).
"The tell-tale sign of a hot-dipped galvanized material is the presence of a crystalline-like pattern on the surface, sometimes referred to as “spangle.”"
I could find nothing about lead sticking to it, however if the temp is raised higher than 392F, stuff happens. Perhaps with a miniscule amount below that
it becomes soft but sticky?

Maybe some stick due to the irregular surface of the "spangle" giving toe-holds.

"The new coated material can be worked and machined in a similar fashion to uncoated materials. Galvanized steel can be used in high-temperature applications up to 392 °F, but use in temperatures exceeding that level will cause the zinc-carbonate layer to peel off."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:09 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Oh... Maybe the steel plate is too smooth and like polished... And the wadcutter pellets Just stick on it by theintermolecular forces? I know the R10 pellets are shiny smooth on the skin.... :). Just my guessing....

Har har. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:17 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I enlarged the picture of your plate and it appears to be the hot-dip method of galvanizing (immersion in melted zinc).
"The tell-tale sign of a hot-dipped galvanized material is the presence of a crystalline-like pattern on the surface, sometimes referred to as “spangle.”"
I could find nothing about lead sticking to it, however if the temp is raised higher than 392F, stuff happens. Perhaps with a miniscule amount below that
it becomes soft but sticky?

Maybe some stick due to the irregular surface of the "spangle" giving toe-holds.

"The new coated material can be worked and machined in a similar fashion to uncoated materials. Galvanized steel can be used in high-temperature applications up to 392 °F, but use in temperatures exceeding that level will cause the zinc-carbonate layer to peel off."

Very interesting! You threw lots of neat info at us here. The toe-hold caused by the irregular surface of the spangle due to hot-dip galvanizing and/or a film of sorts on the plate. (Not my field! ... but kinda understanding.)

Considering the power is just a couple of joules, there had to be at least 1 plausible reason.

You gave me a couple. Very interesting, indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:20 pm 

Headdamage wrote:
Looks like it might be galvanized... does lead stick to zinc?

As per Daryl, who is speculating that indeed the sticking may be due to the galvanization process employed.

Friggin neat!

Ima keep shooting at it. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:55 pm 

Oh yeah - NP continued shooting. There can be no harm done. I do find it interesting that the angle of the plate is so minor, like 75 degrees, if that.
Obviously, enough for low powered air guns. I would not shoot HV air guns at it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:12 pm 

Hi iratecaller.

Pellets will stick to different surfaces. I use pennies as targets and I had pellets fused to the surface, it also happens with aluminum.

If you look in the middle of the post on my Crosman 1100 you will see two targets and one of them has a "Robin Hood" stuck on the target.

topic75019.html

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:58 pm 

Saw a pellet trap unit on Amazon, but pretty tiny..
Was going to weld one myself ..but only have oddball 5"x12" steel plates ( ~18ga)
Would be nice to have a 12"x12" unit , or larger, in an 18/16 gauge ..but the metal suppliers seem to be drying up around here ..sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:30 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Oh yeah - NP continued shooting. There can be no harm done. I do find it interesting that the angle of the plate is so minor, like 75 degrees, if that.
Obviously, enough for low powered air guns. I would not shoot HV air guns at it.

There's a spring in the back of the plate. It's the circumference of a pop can and only a few twists. Just enough to act as a shock absorber.

The most I can shoot at it (no PAL) is a Beeman P1 .22 which clocks at 450 ish. It does fine. The .22 uses crosman hollow points (because that's what I have). They don't bounce out of the trap.

Yeah actual HV air guns, probably not a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:31 pm 

R-Gun Pete wrote:
Hi iratecaller.

Pellets will stick to different surfaces. I use pennies as targets and I had pellets fused to the surface, it also happens with aluminum.

If you look in the middle of the post on my Crosman 1100 you will see two targets and one of them has a "Robin Hood" stuck on the target.

topic75019.html

R-Gun Pete

That is pretty cool!! I also didn't know that. Live and learn. I love pellet guns.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:33 pm 

MacX wrote:
Saw a pellet trap unit on Amazon, but pretty tiny..
Was going to weld one myself ..but only have oddball 5"x12" steel plates ( ~18ga)
Would be nice to have a 12"x12" unit , or larger, in an 18/16 gauge ..but the metal suppliers seem to be drying up around here ..sigh.

Yeah they are small! ... 12"x12" would be pretty wild. Nice thick steel ... high velocities .. yay!

If you can cut the materials (and find some as you said), all the power to you.