Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:34 pm 

Anyone use one in their rifle/pistol? What's your impressions? Just ordered two for my Ux Ruger BH and AH...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:50 pm 

The "Aussie" seals? Didn't remember too clear... Maybe I bought one for my HW45 and one for my HW35 before?! Not really impressed me to be honest...

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:53 am 

Thanks Ken!

I'm impatient to see how they'll do in my rifles. I was getting velocities under 400 fps with both due to cut-from-factory seals... We'll see!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:09 am 

Yep~ Let's us know too! :)

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:59 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Yep~ Let's us know too! :)

Will do :wink: .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:54 pm 

Finally got my seals today by snail mail!

At first they look to be a tad softer than the OEM AH and BH seals, and a bit bigger in diameter. Will be updating the thread this week-end after CAREFUL DEBURRING OF BOTH COMPRESSION TUBE :lol: . Stay tuned :wink: .

Attachments:
28mm_seals.JPG
28mm_seals.JPG [ 56.85 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:27 pm 

Just had the seals installed on the pistons, both are 28.55 mm installed, as advertised. When off the pistons they were 28.25 mm.

While having the pistons out of the guns I also nickel/silver soldered the heads to the piston body, as they were slightly loose. More to come.

Attachments:
28.55mm_installed.JPG
28.55mm_installed.JPG [ 47.53 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:44 am 

OK so the rifle is back together, and I'm very pleased to say that it shoots much better than it did. Now it averages 453 fps on a 5 shots string with the same 7.33 grains pellets, far from the 390 fps I was seeing before, roughly a 34% improvement.

While the gun was apart I did the second screw mod, and also added a trigger stop screw. Really nice, clean break with minimal travel now 8) .

Attachments:
modded_trigger.JPG
modded_trigger.JPG [ 39.93 KiB | Viewed 356 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:56 am 

Glad it's a good buy~

As I replaced mine which should be still working good I didn't see big improvement and that's why it didn't impress me~ :) However bottom line is it worked as good as what I had before.

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:48 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Glad it's a good buy~

As I replaced mine which should be still working good I didn't see big improvement and that's why it didn't impress me~ :) However bottom line is it worked as good as what I had before.

Thanks again!

Have you tried adding a couple drops of silicon oil in the comp chamber? I noticed my new seals were somewhat ''sticky'', so I burnished them with tungsten disulphide dry powder and added 2 drops of silicon oil, that made a noticeable difference.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:48 pm 

I think I did... I replaced the main seal long time ago, 3 years more I think... I dug out an old photo and the new seal had been put on it when I took the photo...

and for a "regular" service at that old time I used the needle comes with the UX chamber oil and put a drop or two through the tiny valve hole after your open the barrel...

However I didn't keep a good memory about the changes before and after... And at the same time I thought I also done some other major changes like changing the 495 spring into a Maccari full power then changed back but added a few washers on the old 495 spring instead.... Then in a later time, I switched again back to the Maccari kit... [emoji38]

However the main seal is still that one on my HW35 and the gun shoots consistent and well currently...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:12 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I think I did... I replaced the main seal long time ago, 3 years more I think... I dug out an old photo and the new seal had been put on it when I took the photo...

and for a "regular" service at that old time I used the needle comes with the UX chamber oil and put a drop or two through the tiny valve hole after your open the barrel...

However I didn't keep a good memory about the changes before and after... And at the same time I thought I also done some other major changes like changing the 495 spring into a Maccari full power then changed back but added a few washers on the old 495 spring instead.... Then in a later time, I switched again back to the Maccari kit... [emoji38]

However the main seal is still that one on my HW35 and the gun shoots consistent and well currently...

LOL! I guess the most important thing is that your gun is consistent and accurate. I see you used the red seal though, which is made of a different material than the green one that I have. On the GTA I was told these red seals are supposed to be sized to the cylinder, which may explain why it's not performing better:

Quote by Toxylon: ''The CAS seal I bought was of the red type, which means that it is supposed to be sized (or oversized as is, in other words) for exact fit.''

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:01 pm 

Yeah... To be honest I don't really know how to "resize" the seal and I remember the red seal does softer than the factory white one.

Maybe it says it's a bit over sized and I didn't remember it's hard to put it (maybe it's softer)... I think over size also means no worries about air leaks?!

So I picked the red one up and just put it in and keep on using it in these years (not shooting too many tho)...

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:06 am 

YepYep wrote:
Yeah... To be honest I don't really know how to "resize" the seal and I remember the red seal does softer than the factory white one.

Maybe it says it's a bit over sized and I didn't remember it's hard to put it (maybe it's softer)... I think over size also means no worries about air leaks?!

So I picked the red one up and just put it in and keep on using it in these years (not shooting too many tho)...

That's for sure! If ever you want to get back into it, there are resources on the net (videos, tutorials on forums, etc). Cheers!

Yesterday I didn't have time to do the maths for the AirHawk, but later I tested my trusty ol' BlackHawk, which I also re-sealed. Here are the numbers:

5 shots string using JSB RS Exact 7.33 grains pellets:

1- 451 fps
2- 443 fps
3- 444 fps
4- 450 fps
5- 447 fps

AVG: 447 fps
ES: 8 fps
SD: 3.53 fps

I'm very happy with these numbers, which are pretty similar to what I get with the AirHawk, and also with my Umarex Surge, which is another Diana 34 clone. :drinkers: