Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:42 pm 

Well I'm not ready to spend the cash on real shooting glasses just yet. Heck my shooting isn't developed at all so now's not the time.

I have some regular low-end shooting glasses however!

.. and so I hand drilled a fixed iris/aperture (aka "hole") at the right spot for my left eye and painted both lenses black.

Attachment:
shades.jpg
shades.jpg [ 157.32 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]

NOTE: The aperture is actually round. In the picture it's imperfect due to some gunk around the hole.

It's awful paint, next time I'll use a spray can .. and the second coat was just put on after trying them out and taking the picture.

Here's the thing .. the cheap flip-up iris/blind combo purchased from Amazon always falls off when doing the "flip-up".

My new DIY glasses are more robust, and "flipping" them up amounts to lifting them above my eyeglasses and bracing them to the forehead, like any pair of shades.

Voila. It ain't pretty, but it's cheap and effective.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:48 pm 

LOL~ It looks great~

Anyway I am not sure if you going to use it to shoot or pretending a homeless and blind ppl at the end of the highway collector exit for some quick money... Of course, that fixed Iris (aka hole) is very useful to peep the beautiful drivers... [emoji38] [emoji38]

Just kidding and looking forward to the final finished product~ :thumbs:

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:07 am 

YepYep wrote:
LOL~ It looks great~

Anyway I am not sure if you going to use it to shoot or pretending a homeless and blind ppl at the end of the highway collector exit for some quick money... Of course, that fixed Iris (aka hole) is very useful to peep the beautiful drivers... [emoji38] [emoji38]

Just kidding and looking forward to the final finished product~ :thumbs:

Haha .. "final finished product" ... lol. You are pretty much looking at it. It ain't going to get much prettier than that. The second coat of paint makes it more opaque.

I'll make another pair for right handed / eye shooting and use a spray paint instead. Should come out more uniform.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:50 am 

Unfortunate your clipon binder didn't work out. Mine clips well onto the glasses and only needs to be adjusted once per session.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:28 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Unfortunate your clipon binder didn't work out. Mine clips well onto the glasses and only needs to be adjusted once per session.

Had a discourse with a person from Cibles/Targets regarding the clip-ons that they sell, and those seem better. Obviously!

Once the shooting improves a bit, making a purchase at Cibles for decent shooting aids will be a reward.

Will use painted-over shooting glasses with a diy aperture (aka peep hole) for now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:58 pm 

Just wanted to share what my setup looks like. A little scotch tape, thread, and crazy glue to hold the iris and binder onto the paper clip. Works well enough for my needs.

Attachments:
thumbnail_IMG_4123.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4123.jpg [ 664.87 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
thumbnail_IMG_4122.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4122.jpg [ 742.35 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:56 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Just wanted to share what my setup looks like. A little scotch tape, thread, and crazy glue to hold the iris and binder onto the paper clip. Works well enough for my needs.

Nice! We look ridiculous .. be we don't let that affect our aim! hehe.
Hey the paper clip is adjustable!

My neighbors are bikers and I already feel weird "playing with bb guns" in the back (even though my "bb" guns are target and match pistols)
Now being out there playing with bb guns with a weird thing on my face .. well ..

We can now understand why it's important for shooters to push all that stuff out of mind! :lol:
Biker next door: "Hey nice glasses weirdo!" .... just push it out of your mind. hehe.

Kidding aside. It helps. The spring on your blind is probably stronger than the one on mine. Simple thing like that can make or break the experience.

Glad you have a cost effective setup. That's what it's all about. DIY = PASSION.

It's been raining .. can't wait to get out there and do my routine with live fire again. It's all been dryfire for the last week almost.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:52 am 

iratecaller wrote:
Biker next door: "Hey nice glasses weirdo!"
That is certainly the opportune moment to invite your neighbour over to demonstrate thier proficieny over yours.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:37 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
iratecaller wrote:
Biker next door: "Hey nice glasses weirdo!"
That is certainly the opportune moment to invite your neighbour over to demonstrate thier proficieny over yours.

Indeed! Oh they are grown men, and really cool guys, they don't say anything rude. It was a joke. I will invite at least one of them to try out some pistols.

The dude in question has collection of actual handguns, each with a lock, and in a big safe. He's got his RPAL and is a trapper, but obviously, the guns are basically non-transferrable paper weights. I handled a few of them earlier this year. Never even touched a handgun before. It was fun.

He's seen my pellet pistols and thinks they look fantastic, and he's already promised to try my crossbows .. I have a Cobra Adder on the way and a Bear XL pistol x-bow hanging on my pegboard. Just a neighborhood pal.

Soon enough, I'll get to see what he's made of. ;) I'm hoping he takes me out on some Crown land at some point and shows me where it's safe to shoot. Being new to the region after leaving for over 20 years, I don't know where to go for 20 yards+ scope shooting and the big repeater crossbow. Also, with PAL on the way, this boy needs a place to shoot something more serious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:32 pm 

Thought I'd share my setup:

Attachment:
20231115_211157x.jpg
20231115_211157x.jpg [ 93.22 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

Attachment:
20231115_211303x.jpg
20231115_211303x.jpg [ 89.85 KiB | Viewed 717 times ]

Bought the flip-up glasses from amazon for $10.

I just used simple electrical tape for the iris. Punched a 3mm hole in the middle. For the blinder, I used some leftover window privacy film.

Been using this setup for a few years now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:12 pm 

ezplnkr wrote:

Attachment:
20231115_211157x.jpg

Attachment:
20231115_211303x.jpg

I just used simple electrical tape for the iris. Punched a 3mm hole in the middle. For the blinder, I used some leftover window privacy film.

THIS! I like this. This is even simpler than both approaches so far. The privacy film is quite clever. Using the electrical tape is cool too, but you'll have to let me in on the secret to punching that hole so cleanly.

Nice shooting flip-ups. +1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:47 am 

ezplnkr wrote:

Attachment:
20231115_211157x.jpg

Attachment:
20231115_211303x.jpg

Alright! Got all the materials on the way. Going to build these glasses. Still wondering how to get the clean punched hole, but with a perfectly clear lense a small washer could serve as the aperture/iris.

Any suggestions on how to make a super clean hole appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:28 pm 

Hot needle, I have heard of, worked. The hole also becomes adjustable, whereas a drilled hole in a plastic lens is the size of the drill. Small drills are sometimes
difficult to find. The # drills go down to #80, which is .0135", which is 13 1/2 thousandths of an inch, which is .342mm. A #1, the largest # drill is .228" or 5.79mm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:41 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Hot needle, I have heard of, worked. The hole also becomes adjustable, whereas a drilled hole in a plastic lens is the size of the drill. Small drills are sometimes
difficult to find. The # drills go down to #80, which is .0135", which is 13 1/2 thousandths of an inch, which is .342mm. A #1, the largest # drill is .228" or 5.79mm.

Considering the lack of drill press, manually holding a #80 would be quite ridiculous, lol.

These glasses I'm trying to make for left eye shooting, would need something like this hot needle technique. Thank you!

The left-handed and left eye dominant pistol shooting is a curiosity for me. After a few months now, and favoring the right hand / right eye due to industry bias, the left eye / left hand feels ignored.

Perfect opportunity to level the playing field against the right eye / right hand and show even more examples of how/why effective DIY target glasses are easy to make.

Worst case scenario is that you need a few pairs with different sized irises. Best case is that you glued on a mechanism to hold discs onto the lens and changing iris sizes amounts to changing the washers / discs in the holder.

Buying pro ones is also an option when you just want to shoot.

I'll try the hot needle method. All the materials are in, so should give it a shot soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:54 pm 

The #80 is WAY too small a hole to see through. I only posted the full range if sizes available that
so a 'range' of the sizes available would add to member's knowledge base.