Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Confiscation/Buy Back
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:29 am 

has been put off until Oct. 30th, 2025. Thus, there will be an election in that summer.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-safety- ... yback.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:10 pm 

This whole thing is going to fall by the waste side with the up and coming current events.....My bet is less than 10% will hand in their guns; The restricted ones maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:19 pm 

I can "see" only those that were restricted and licensed before the OIC will be turned in, but - I expect the gvt., if they go ahead with this, to do as was proposed last fall.
They said that PEI was a strong Liberal Province and had ONLY 6,500 P.A.L. holders to search on the 23rd of Dec.2022. They were going to do a "Risk Assessment" from this search and seizure
program. That fell through due to probable logistics - these were not specified. Now that can be interpret that to mean the local RCMP said it ain't happening, or the premier said something similar.
Alberta, Sask. Manitoba and NEw Brunswick Premiers also said no RCMP in their provinces would be used for a search and seizure program.

That is why the Government started talking about hiring people to act as peace officers to do the search. Let your imagination run with that. Can a Federal Government hire civilians and proclaim
them to be peace officers with search and seizure powers?

Due to the wording of their proposed 'move' in PEI, it is obvious they are stating they are going to do a door to door on P.A.L. holders to see if they have any "newly declared prohibs", and probably
will also seize or attempt to seize handguns that will be declared prohibited before this actually happens.

I know, some suppositions made. I've seen the varmint and he is the government.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:39 pm 

I can imagine that if they go ahead with some civilian manpower based door to door collection they might run into people that say they gave their guns to the gun collection guy that came by earlier. An excellent opportunity for criminals to get free guns.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:46 pm 

I cannot "see" this happening without an ERTeam doing the searches, etc.
I can "see" some people not complying, which brings us back to their mention of "risk assessment".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:16 pm 

This whole thing reeks of "more stupid" to me. LOL
Folks have woken up and will no longer be fooled by "Keeping communities safe" bull crap.

I can see those that no longer use their firearms whether boredom or old age might be temped to receive payment?

Coming door to door? More scare tactics that will force those to come up with better ways to hide them. I believe Canadians will not fall victim like the Brits did with their buy back schemes of the 80's. Many Countries have done so including the USA.

Look at what happened to Israel the past few days, were they able to keep their countryman safe?

Trust me! We will enjoy our firearms for decades to come. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:26 am 

I have my doubts any government would want to pay the bill on this program. The majority may be strongly in favor of this direction but thier own wallets take precedence. Everyone is already complaining how expensive life is. Throwing in another tax isn't going to help the current governments falling popularity and it's likely why they pushed this to after the election.

They are proposing civilans (hired thugs), be given the power to search for and seize firearms? Interesting. Never before in my life have I had the desire to vote but that most certainly has changed in the last few years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:14 am 

CSSA said it best:

"Gun Confiscation Deadline Postponed Again

Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government steadfastly refuses to confiscate 2,000 makes and models of firearms banned by his infamous May 1, 2020, Order in Council.

On October 11, Justin Trudeau admitted defeat. He has no plan for confiscating those guns, no plan to pay citizens for the firearms he promised to confiscate, and everyone knows it.

Trudeau delayed his confiscation deadline two more years.

Adding to Trudeau’s confusion is the one question nobody in his Liberal House of Cards seems willing or able to answer.

“What do we do about Saskatchewan and Alberta?”

Those two provinces made it exceedingly difficult for the federal government to confiscate firearms.

In Saskatchewan, Robert Freberg, Chief Firearms Officer, Christine Tell, Minister of Corrections, Policing and Public Safety, and Premier Scott Moe passed the Saskatchewan Firearms Act to all-but-prevent the federal government from confiscating firearms in their province.[iii]

Their plan was so well designed that Alberta followed suit with Bill 8: The Alberta Firearms Act.[iv]

Dr. Teri-Jane Bryant, Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer, Tyler Shandro, then-Minister of Public Safety, and Premier Danielle Smith implemented their own “Alberta Firearms Firewall.”

Canadian gun owners owe these six individuals an immense debt of gratitude for doing what many said could not be done – stop the federal government from confiscating our guns.

Saskatchewan and Alberta’s defensive acts, combined with Trudeau’s failure to take a single step toward his confiscation scheme, likely played a huge role in his decision to kick the confiscation deadline, euphemistically called an “amnesty”, two years further down the road.[v]

Justin Trudeau insisted that these banned firearms "pose a significant threat to public safety..." and that “there is no use and no place for such weapons in Canada…” yet his actions prove he doesn’t have the courage of his convictions.[vi]

By the time his latest “amnesty” expires – these firearms will have been safely stored in the gun safes of their owners for over five years.

If these banned firearms are such a threat to public safety, why did Trudeau’s Liberal government admit defeat by postponing their confiscation deadline until after the next federal election?

Because this was never about public safety.

This was always about politics."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:07 pm 

The governance of our firearms, or anything of value like energy, education, health, etc., is in the hands of voters.

In this modern age of information, it takes about 6 seconds of research, or just a good gut, to discern who may be a legitimate governor or corrupt; and to stand for or against them.

Our problem is not governance of firearms, it’s wilful ignorance and collective stupidity; so look to voting and the voting public.

.177 Cometa Fusion, Vantage 3-9x40
.177 Cometa Fenix LT, Endurance 4-16x50
.22 Cometa Fenix, Airmax 3-9x40

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:04 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:03 pm 

Its all a sham. Just set up so the bad guy Conservatives can be labeled progun for the next election. Politics at its worst Or Trudeauism(like father like son) He has the same "just watch me" attitude his father had and I believe he has less interest in the good of Canada and simply an interest in votes and power. IMNSHO he is an idiot in so many ways but either he or his advisors have some very powerfull political smarts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:17 pm 

I don't really follow what is going on much any more but I can tell you this, massive non compliance is what happened with the gun registry in Alberta and this will be much the same.
I looked over the list and prices offered. I believe I own two on that list. In my case just cause I am getting old and broke down I don't mind giving them up for the money offered. Owned both since the late 80's, one new, never fired the other not used since about 91 so it is not like I will even miss them. Now if I was younger and still shooting a lot I suspect I would do the opposite.
I personally am far more pissed off at the pistol ban, I really was looking forward to getting a Ruger mark 4. Back in my shooting days the mark 2 was the latest and I owned a pair, both bull barreled, one stainless, one blued. I would often blow through a brick a day back then between the two. I would have really enjoyed seeing how the new ones performed. I really hope the pistol ban can be reversed, I suspect it won't though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:55 am 

18hammers wrote:
I don't really follow what is going on much any more but I can tell you this, massive non compliance is what happened with the gun registry in Alberta and this will be much the same.
I looked over the list and prices offered. I believe I own two on that list. In my case just cause I am getting old and broke down I don't mind giving them up for the money offered. Owned both since the late 80's, one new, never fired the other not used since about 91 so it is not like I will even miss them. Now if I was younger and still shooting a lot I suspect I would do the opposite.
I personally am far more pissed off at the pistol ban, I really was looking forward to getting a Ruger mark 4. Back in my shooting days the mark 2 was the latest and I owned a pair, both bull barreled, one stainless, one blued. I would often blow through a brick a day back then between the two. I would have really enjoyed seeing how the new ones performed. I really hope the pistol ban can be reversed, I suspect it won't though.

Yes the pistol ban is a pisser. I finally get to a small town with access to Crown land, and finally start enjoying shooting in my mid forties, which is still young, and low and behold, society is afraid of even orange tipped toy guns and grown men are shaking at the knees with fear of sweeping (yet unlawful and easily "beatable") municipal bans on anything that resembles a firearm.

We as a society are clearly not mature enough for handguns if we can't stand up for ourselves when it comes to mere toys.

It's the lack of spine exhibited by folk that we consider adult Canadians is the biggest problem of it all.

So yes, they'll take everything away from us. No more handguns, no silencers ever (because there's no debate!) .. and they WILL come for your guns. They will. Because we are afraid of the debate!!!!

If we're afraid of the debate on this forum, then how on Earth are we going to engage policy makers?

We are literally afraid of law enforcement shadows on this forum, and practically pander to them, so how are we supposed to reverse the bad decisions made by our elected government? I know cops and military folk and they aren't the problem. They want the same thing as we do.

Roll over and play dead, is not the kind of winning strategy we need right now guys.

Cowardice is never rewarded.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:10 pm 

Daryl wrote:
CSSA said it best:

"Gun Confiscation Deadline Postponed Again

Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government steadfastly refuses to confiscate 2,000 makes and models of firearms banned by his infamous May 1, 2020, Order in Council.

On October 11, Justin Trudeau admitted defeat. He has no plan for confiscating those guns, no plan to pay citizens for the firearms he promised to confiscate, and everyone knows it.

Trudeau delayed his confiscation deadline two more years.

Adding to Trudeau’s confusion is the one question nobody in his Liberal House of Cards seems willing or able to answer.

What do we do about Saskatchewan and Alberta?”

Those two provinces made it exceedingly difficult for the federal government to confiscate firearms.

In Saskatchewan, Robert Freberg, Chief Firearms Officer, Christine Tell, Minister of Corrections, Policing and Public Safety, and Premier Scott Moe passed the Saskatchewan Firearms Act to all-but-prevent the federal government from confiscating firearms in their province.[iii]

Their plan was so well designed that Alberta followed suit with Bill 8: The Alberta Firearms Act.[iv]

Dr. Teri-Jane Bryant, Alberta’s Chief Firearms Officer, Tyler Shandro, then-Minister of Public Safety, and Premier Danielle Smith implemented their own “Alberta Firearms Firewall.”

Canadian gun owners owe these six individuals an immense debt of gratitude for doing what many said could not be done – stop the federal government from confiscating our guns.

Saskatchewan and Alberta’s defensive acts, combined with Trudeau’s failure to take a single step toward his confiscation scheme, likely played a huge role in his decision to kick the confiscation deadline, euphemistically called an “amnesty”, two years further down the road.[v]

Justin Trudeau insisted that these banned firearms "pose a significant threat to public safety..." and that “there is no use and no place for such weapons in Canada…” yet his actions prove he doesn’t have the courage of his convictions.[vi]

By the time his latest “amnesty” expires – these firearms will have been safely stored in the gun safes of their owners for over five years.

If these banned firearms are such a threat to public safety, why did Trudeau’s Liberal government admit defeat by postponing their confiscation deadline until after the next federal election?

Because this was never about public safety.

This was always about politics."

Ahh makes me proud to be from Alberta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:32 pm 

Indeed!!
"Something evil this way comes".

"Liberals’ Planned Gun-Storage OIC Will Target Individuals, Clubs and Stores

17 October 2023

TheGunBlog.ca — Canada’s governing Liberal Party is targeting its planned new firearm-storage laws at government-licensed gun owners, gun clubs, and gun stores, according to an internal Q&A published today.

The Liberals outlined their anti-gun plans in a technical briefing by the Department of Public Safety on Bill C-21 dated 31 May 2022.
The briefing includes a point on strenghening secure storage regulations to be enacted by “order in council” (OiC).
The internal document was obtained through an ATIP request and published today by the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights (CCFR).

Internal Q&A

Strengthen secure storage regulations For individuals, gun clubs, stores or all three?
Response: Yes, regulations will be developed for all three.

Why It Matters

It’s the first time we’ve become aware that the planned restrictions target not only individual gun owners, but also gun clubs and gun businesses.
It’s the most detail the Liberals have provided about their intended storage prohibitions. They have been considering new regulations for years, including criminalizing home firearm storage and requiring remote storage.
The Liberals are planning a series of new criminalizations, prohibitions and restrictions as they suppress government-licensed gun owners and businesses.