Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:55 pm 

Hey everyone it's been probably 5 years or more since I've been out shooting and was thinking about getting out again. I'm looking to get into Ft shooting (maybe Hunter class) I don't have a PAL so I'm going to be limited to under 500 fps so what rifle and what calipar with what scope should I be looking at? Or would I be wasting my time trying.
Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:07 pm 

Hi Hemi, welcome to the forum.
Depending on where you are in Durham, you may be closer to Grenville or to Hamilton, both have active FT clubs.
You certainly would have better options with a PAL, but we occasionally have someone come out with a sub-500 gun.
I have many questions that I think might help to be able to make some suggestions.
What is your budget?
Do you like tinkering and tuning your own?
Might you ever get your PAL?
I shot my first FT match with a Crosman Optimus that I bought for $130 from Princess Auto with a $200 scope on top. I have my PAL so I had upgraded the spring and did some work on the trigger.
I have since upgraded twice but you can start and have fun with a low cost setup.
I hope to see you out at matches in the future!
Rob27

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:30 am 

Hi Rob27 I live in the Durham region but I don't mind traveling for events. I like Tinkering so building or modifying things are good with me. PCP guns seem the way to go . I was looking at Reximex Daystar – Below 500FPS but I was also thinking of taking a CO2 rifle and converting it to PCP. So I'm looking around $900 if I go with a Reximex Daystar and around $600 if I buy a nice CO2 rifle and modify it for PCP. These are approximate prices? If I stick with it I was planning on getting my pal so something that can be upgraded after would be best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:03 pm 

topic94043.html

Pretty good review.

I would stay away from modifying a CO2 rifle to PCP. There is more to it than people think. In the end, it will probably cost you more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:25 pm 

Anyone have thought on some other rifles ? I was also looking at Beeman AR2079 .22 PCP Target Rifle -it can take a large co tank or air tank. Diana Stormrider PCP .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:40 pm 

If you have no desire to get a PAL then perhaps pistol FT would be a better option.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:42 am 

I may get a pal in the future but for right now I'm just looking to do is some shooting, learning and hanging around and making some friends and maybe get involved with some competition for fun.
If you have a link to the rules that would be great.
Everything I can find seams old and some links are broken . It would help me if I had some idea of what people are using for ft rifles or ft pistols events.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:06 am 

XxxHEMIxxx wrote:
I may get a pal in the future but for right now I'm just looking to do is some shooting, learning and hanging around and making some friends and maybe get involved with some competition for fun.
Everything I can find seams old and some links are broken . It would help me if I had some idea of what people are using for ft rifles or ft pistols events.
Did you check our FT section in the forum yet?! :)

Basic rules, lot of pictures of the events, details.... Everything you need you can find there~ especially Those nice guns ppl used in the matches you can see from the tons of photos~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:24 am 

XxxHEMIxxx wrote:

We shoot FT, with pistols, maybe once or twice a season. If you want to stay sub-500 you might want to consider a .22 spring gun as the .22 has better ballistics at sub-500 power levels. If you buy a spring gun then get a spring gun rated scope or your gun, depending on quality of shot cycle, could eat your scope. For hunter class you will only need the rifle/scope, a monopod and a stool or bucket to be able to shoot. Hunter class doesn't demand a lot of high end equipment despite what you might see up and down the firing line :). Keep in mind a sub-500 gun will put you at a bit of a disadvantage as it has a more pronounced trajectory loop. The toughest part of hunter class is learning to judge the distance to the target. Making a dope chart of where your gun shoots at distances from 10-55 yards and accurate distance judging will allow you to compete. We aren't shooting for prize money, just for fun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:51 am 

Thank you YepYep and Rob g finally found some links that work . I wasn't thinking of brake barrel but it something to look at.